Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory External Lacie USB hard disks Post 18779 by electrode101 on Wednesday 3rd of April 2002 06:18:33 AM
Old 04-03-2002
Question External Lacie USB hard disks

I'm trying to mount a USB Lacie external hardrive in my Linux system but am having trouble doing so, I'm also having trouble mounting my USB ZIP 250 drive.
It is totally me being stupid, but I'm new to unix and am having a few teathing problems.
the command I'm using is the following mount /dev/sda /mnt/ZIP & mount /dev/sdb /mnt/Lacie.
I have created the mount points in /mnt and the file system used on those drives is FAT32, is FAT32 compatible with Linux.
I'm running Suse 7.1.
please don't be afraid of giving me complex commands, I'm used to using DOS and Windows. Like DOS hate windows, but hey that's why I'm converting to Linux

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

External USB

Is it possible to install Solaris 10 on an external USB drive? I'd like to dual boot Linux and Solaris 10. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: otterit
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mounting lacie hard drive to another suns system

I have two unix workstations. One crashed :( , but the other is still operating efficiently. We have a Lacie external hard drive attached to the workstation that failed. I would like to mount the external drive to the workstation that is still functioning. I am not very familiar with how to do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tmarsha6
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Hard disks in solaris

I need to insert a new hard disk into a Sun Fire v210 machine. The (only) internal disk which is already in the machine is part number XRA-SC1CB-73G10K (DISK DRIVE ASSY. 73GB, 10K RPM, with SPUD BRACKET). I also have nearly endless access to IBM hard disks at extremely low prices and would there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprellari
2 Replies

4. Solaris

FAT32 usb external hard drive - how to mount??

Hello ! What is the comand to mount and usb hard disk ? I have Solaris 10 installed! 10nx! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daniel.balasa
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Get onyl local hard disks

How can I get only the local hard disks in Solaris? I've tried iostat -x, iostat -E, etc, but it shows the cdroms, dvds, external storage... I want only the local physical hard disks. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psimoes79
2 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

external USb hard disk reading problem

Hello, I am facing a hard disk drive reading problem since last one month and not able to resolve it. The thing is I purchased external USB hard disk (seagate 40 gb) 2 years back.And uptil now its working perfectly fine. But suddenly one day I am not able to read my data. The problem goes like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albertspade
1 Replies

7. Solaris

USB External Hard Drive for Solaris 10 Sparc

Hi- I would like to know if anyone has used any USB External Hard Drive, about 500/750GB or 1TB, with any of the Solaris 10 "SPARC" systems. Not on intel nor amd platform. I'm looking for the compatible drive and found a few listed on Sun solaris ready page, but I'd like to have inputs from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: agfa_109
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script to automatically mount external usb hard disk

hi all, I have a debian lenny 5.0 server without GNOME installed. the server is at a customer's premise. I want to backup data from the server to the external usb hard disk. the backup will start at e.g 01:00 everyday. the user will plug the drive before going home. also the user will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolatt
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Waking Up USB External Hard Drive for file archiving

Hello Experts, I hope I'm writing to the correct category for my question. I have a very basic shell script for doing file archiving to the external usb hard drive (WD studio edition II 2TB formatted as FAT32 for compatibility). The shell script only needs to run once per day. It basically... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: johankor
8 Replies
gitmount(1)						      General Commands Manual						       gitmount(1)

NAME
gitmount - GNU Interactive Tools - auto-mount script SYNTAX
gitmount device DESCRIPTION
gitmount is a script which allows you to mount any block device without specifying the file system type. You may now insert the floppy in the drive and type ' gitmount fd0' and the first floppy will be mounted in the directory /mnt/fd0. On Linux just press F11 or F12. You don't need to know the file system type anymore. The directories /mnt/fd0 and /mnt/fd1 are created if they don't exist. BUGS
Please send bug reports to: gnuit-dev@gnu.org SEE ALSO
gitfm(1) gitps(1) gitview(1) gitkeys(1) gitaction(1) gitrgrep(1) gitunpack(1) AUTHORS
Tudor Hulubei <tudor@cs.unh.edu> Andrei Pitis <pink@pub.ro> Ian Beckwith <ianb@erislabs.net> (Current maintainer) gitmount(1)