Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: division problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting division problem Post 18737 by inquirer on Tuesday 2nd of April 2002 09:03:27 PM
Old 04-02-2002
Computer thankyou

thank you very much for the help. i will do all of your suggestions Smilie
inquirer

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Cannot adjust division

I have a doubt with an error message, and i want to be sure if this is a normal situation or not. Situation: I was formating and installing a SCSI 36Gb HD with UNIX SCO 5.05, the problem happens when is making the division and filesystem on disk 1, and the message error is "Exit value 139... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jav_v
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem in division

hi I am having two variables namely a=7 & b=8. I have to subtract these two variables. I am using the command c=`expr $a / $b` When I check the value of c, it comes out to be zero. Please help. Regards Rochit (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rochitsharma
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

division by 0 error

Hi, I am writing a script that among other things will be checking for various files on mount points. One of the conditions is that unless the server has failed over the df command will show root ( / ). If when checking the files the script comes across /, I want it to skip it, otherwise to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cat55
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check for division by zero

i have a script that is doing the following: awk 'BEGIN {FS=","} ; {printf("%.10f",($5 - $2)/(3 * $3))}' data > test now some records in $3 contain zeroes. i don't want to remove those records. is it possible to check for division by zero and then write a "N/A" for that record in the o/p... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

hash map Illegal division by zero problem

Hi Everyone, a.txt line1;a;33 line1;c;22 line1;b;0 line1;a;55 a.pl #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; my @sorted=(); my @tmp; my $FA; my @F; (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

division by zero

Hello, I am searching for a way to calculate for example 10/100 within a shellscript and the result should be 0.1 and not just 0. Every alternative i tried just results 0 Thank you in advance 2retti (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2retti
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

awk: division by zero

I received error "awk: division by zero" while executing the following statement. SunOS 5.10 Generic_142900-15 sun4us sparc FJSV,GPUZC-M echo 8 | awk 'END {printf ("%d\n",NR/$1 + 0.5);}' file1.lst awk: division by zero Can someone provide solution? Thanks Please use code... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar77
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Division problem -Awk

input one two three four 0 0 0 10424 0 102 0 15091 1 298 34 11111 0 10 0 1287 scripts awk 'NR>1{print ($1/$2) / ($3/$4)}' awk 'NR>1{ if ($1 ||$3 ||$2|| $4 == 0) print 0; else print (($1/$2)/($3/$4))}' error awk: division by zero input record number 1, file rm source line... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in division

hi, The below commands result only the whole number(not giving the decimal values). pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~$ echo 1,2,3,4|sed 's/,/\//g'|bc 0 pandeeswaran@ubuntu:~$ echo 1000,2,3|sed 's/,/\//g'|bc 166 How to make it to return the decimal values? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Division of wc output

I have a function that outputs 3 lines for each result and I want to know how many results there are. so for example function | wc -l 24 but I want to see the result 8. so is there a easy way to divide the result? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yatici
5 Replies
ARITHMETIC(6)							 BSD Games Manual						     ARITHMETIC(6)

NAME
arithmetic -- quiz on simple arithmetic SYNOPSIS
arithmetic [-o +-x/] [-r range] DESCRIPTION
arithmetic asks you to solve problems in simple arithmetic. Each question must be answered correctly before going on to the next. After every 20 problems, it prints the score so far and the time taken. You can quit at any time by typing the interrupt or end-of-file character. The options are as follows: -o By default, arithmetic asks questions on addition of numbers from 0 to 10, and corresponding subtraction. By supplying one or more of the characters +-x/, you can ask for problems in addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, respectively. If you give one of these characters more than once, that kind of problem will be asked correspondingly more often. -r If a range is supplied, arithmetic selects the numbers in its problems in the following way. For addition and multiplication, the numbers to be added or multiplied are between 0 and range, inclusive. For subtraction and division, both the required result and the number to divide by or subtract will be between 0 and range. (Of course, arithmetic will not ask you to divide by 0.) The default is 10. When you get a problem wrong, arithmetic will remember the numbers involved, and will tend to select those numbers more often than others, in problems of the same sort. Eventually it will forgive and forget. arithmetic cannot be persuaded to tell you the right answer. You must work it out for yourself. DIAGNOSTICS
``What?'' if you get a question wrong. ``Right!'' if you get it right. ``Please type a number.'' if arithmetic doesn't understand what you typed. SEE ALSO
bc(1), dc(1) BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD