Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Global PATH setting
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Global PATH setting Post 1870 by jxh on Wednesday 4th of April 2001 12:24:07 PM
Old 04-04-2001
Question

I am using Solaris 8 and I want to change the PATH setting for all users. I have edited /etc/profile, but when I log in and check the PATH variable, it hasn't changed.

Am I missing something?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting global variable for all users

hi, i am a newbie unix administrator. i want to set a variable, let's say : alias cls 'clear' But i am not going to add this line in the .login file for every home directory of my 500+ users. pls tell me where should i put this line in, so that all users can use this variable after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting $PATH for a particular file...????

:) dear members; I am trying to placea directory to keep minor records in particular directories.. rather than just rely on hard links.. I would like to set the $PATH variable so that I can access the directory itself from anywhere; ex./ /tmp or /bin /var... I know how to export enviromental... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting path

Hi all, I have a java command in a shell script. When i m executing the command from the prompt its working fine. But when i paste the same command in a shell script and execute the shell script it says path not found. Please help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika03
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting a global variable in script

Hi All, I know to set global variable i can use export .. But take the situation like below .. I want to set a variable in one script and access that in second script i have done like this .. It is not working one.sh #!/usr/bin/ksh echo $RISSHI export RISSHI=1 two.sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setting global variables with BASH/Linux

I am using functions in a script and for some strange reason the EXPORT command doesnt seem to be making my variables global. Anyone got any ideas? I am using one function to pass some output top another using the pipe command, eg Function 1 | Function 2 Function 2 reads the value... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregf
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setting a permanent global variable in unix accessible from any script

Is there anyway in which i can set a permanent global variable in unix, which when initialised with a value and modified during any shell script, would retain its value even if i logout and login I dont know whether i am being able to express my need clearly but basically what i want is a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add directory to a global PATH

Guys, I did a search on this but couldn't find any thing. I need to add /home/scadm/scripts to the PATH. If I do the below it works for the session I'm in. If I close it and reopen it doesnt work. PATH=$PATH\:/home/scadm/scripts ; export PATH I also want this path added to all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltonrods
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there any $PATH default setting?

This is a very newbie's question: I was trying to add a new version of the same command "blastn", but the old command always shows up first. which blastn /usr/local/bin/blastnThe two versions of the same command "blastn" are located in: which -a blastn /usr/local/bin/blastn... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting class path

hi , can anybody help me to chage the class path in unix server.. what are the files need to update .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madhu Siddula
2 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)