Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to check if the argument contain wildcard (*,?) ? Post 18695 by LivinFree on Tuesday 2nd of April 2002 05:45:12 AM
Old 04-02-2002
You already asked this question, and had it answered over here:
::merged threads - removed url::

It was also noted that the shell would replace that * with all the things it matched (if any) before sending it iff to the script, so there would not be a way to check for the presence of a "*" unless it was escaped from the shell like this:
your_command a\* or
your_command 'a*'

Last edited by oombera; 02-16-2004 at 12:07 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if argument passed is an integers

How do I check if the argument passed to a script is an integer? I am writting a script that will take to integers and want to be able to check before I go on. I am using bourne shell. Thanks in advance (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: elchalateco
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if argument is an ip address in bash/sh

Hi all, Can you please suggest a few lines of if statement to check if a variable is an ip address purely in bash/sh? Thanks, Marc (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcpascual
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check for Empty Command Argument

I have a script that when called can have 1 or 2 command arguments. If only 1 command argument is passed into the script how can I check that the second argument is null? I am working in Korn shell in a UNIX environment. Example of script call with 2 arguments: % statreport 0300 1430 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nysif Steve
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sudo wildcards problem: for every argument a *-wildcard? Better solution?

Hi I allow the user tommy to run this command as root sudoCommand: /app/appname/connectors/*/*/current/bin/*With "sudo -l" he sees the sudoers, but is unable to execute. $ sudo /app/appname/connectors/zur/namename/current/bin/othername agentsvc --i --u root --sn 1m7command Sorry, user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check folder existence using wildcard

Hi I would like to know how I can check whether there is one or more folders in the current directory which begins with e.g. 2011-11. Initially I figured that this could easily be done simply by: if ; then ... However if there is more than one folder which begins with 2011-11 then it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aknu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for spaces in input argument!

Hi guys, I have created a csh script which allows user to pass input argument with the script like: cluster_on_lev3.csh -t <value> -p <value> Example: cluster_on_lev3.csh -t 2.3 -p 0.05 Now I want to create an error code where if user passes input argument without spaces , the code... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to check if an argument is valid shell variable

I need a script that should print 'yes' if the argument is a valid shell variable name else 'No' if it is not a valid shell variable. A valid one begins with an alphabet or percentage (%) character and is followed by zero or more alphanumberic or percentage (%) characters. For example: $... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingiliarjun
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument check

All, I'm writing an argument checking block and running into an error. I want to confirm that $1 is one of two values. Here is what I have: if ]; then echo -e "\nPlease check your first augument. You used \"$1\" which is not recognized. Please see usage:" usage ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hburnswell
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcard in mailx argument

Hi All, I have to send some files as attachments to an email using mailx copmmand in a shell script. The files will be generated by some other application everyday with names starting with the literal 'Send' followed by some random sequence of characters in the filenames. I tried... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagarparadkar
1 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)