Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ports Disabling
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Ports Disabling Post 18659 by PxT on Monday 1st of April 2002 03:00:25 PM
Old 04-01-2002
Do not edit /etc/services. Instead, comment out lines in /etc/inetd.conf. Then restart inetd for the changes to take effect. use "netstat -a" to look for open ports which do not use inetd. you have to turn off those proccesses individually.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disabling Telnet

How do you keep users from logging on while you do file maintenance? Is there a way to temporarily disable telnet? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disabling telnet

how do i disable the telnet (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmuhammad
2 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Disabling thread deletion by OP?

. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Driver
8 Replies

4. Solaris

Disabling telnet

I am running solaris 9.. currently has telnet / ssh access.. Initially I just want to stop telnet access (but leave ftp open as some scripts etc still using this and need modification) As far as I know I just need to do the following: edit the /etc/inetd.conf file and comment out: telnet ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disabling logrotate

Is there a way to disable log rotation? (just for wtmp) I'm looking in /etc/logrotate.conf and I checked the man page but didn't see any option to disable. Is it as simple as commenting out monthly and rotate lines? /var/log/wtmp { missingok # monthly create 0664 root utmp # ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disabling NIS

How do you disable a server, #1, from trying to use the NIS that is running on another server, #2? I would like the #1 server to just use the local etc/shadow file (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: calamine
3 Replies

7. Solaris

disabling watchdog

hi, is it possible to disable the "hardware watchdog" on a V240 sol 10 server? and how to? this server freeze 9/10 during boot on this command...:mad: thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guilik
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

disabling and enabling the crontab

Hi All, I need disable all the crontab job in the cron and then later have to enable the crontab job by shell scripting. or otherwise disable the cron and enable cron again by means of unix shell scripting. Please can you one help me out in this. Thanks in Advance. Regards, Sindu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira_s
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Disabling sendmail

Hello everyone, can anyone tell me how to disable sendmail on solaris 10? I seem to have the sendmail process from hell. Did an SVCS | grep for mail and disabled the 2 processes it threw up. But something is still respawning sendmail (if I kill it manually) and it's doing the usual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
2 Replies

10. Hardware

How disabling GPU?

Hi All I'm find out a way to disable the DGD: AMD Radeon HD 7470M on my Ubutu 16.04.2 LTS because radeon open source module is not capable to support this GPU and consequence the boot is very slow. I have tried serveral way with pci-stub.ids in the grub menu but not work. In general how... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: _Fabio_79
11 Replies
PORTINDEX(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						      PORTINDEX(5)

NAME
INDEX -- File containing information about the state of the ports tree DESCRIPTION
The port index file in /usr/ports contains various bits of information about the ports tree. Each major branch of FreeBSD has a separate index file, named ``INDEX-N'', where N is the major version number of the FreeBSD branch, i.e.: INDEX-7, or INDEX-8. name The name of the package. path The path to the port directory. install prefix The default install prefix. short description A short description. full description The path to the full description. maintainer email The email address of the maintainer. index The categories this port is part of. build dependencies Ports required to be installed prior to building this port. run dependencies Ports required to be installed for this port to run. website The project website for the port. e-deps Ports that may be required to extract this port. p-deps Ports that may be required to patch this port. f-deps Ports that may be required to fetch this port. FILES
/usr/ports/INDEX-N where N is the major version number of the FreeBSD branch. EXAMPLES
vim-6.3.15|/usr/ports/editors/vim|/usr/local|Vi "workalike", with many additional features|/usr/ports/editors/vim/pkg-descr|obrien@FreeBSD.org|editors|libiconv-1.9.2_1|libiconv-1.9.2_1|http://www.vim.org/||| SEE ALSO
build(7), ports(7) AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Paul Armstrong and Thomas Abthorpe <tabthorpe@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
October 14, 2012 BSD