Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Does automount have an advantage over hard mount? Post 18615 by killerserv on Sunday 31st of March 2002 08:44:04 PM
Old 03-31-2002
Automount is method of automatically mounting a file system upon recieving the requests to access the system. Using this method of mounting, the filesystems are not located in the /etc/fstab file. The advantage of this is that if you have many volumes mounted, they do not have to all be mounted at the same time taking up system resources. They are only mounted when needed. The other advantage to this is that it allows the mounting of the same file system from different hosts. This allows the access to a filesystem even if one of the hosts it is on is unreachable (ie, redundancy.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I Want To Automount My Hard Drive!!!

:confused: Im as newbie as they come....... I just loaded Red Hat 8.0 on my computer. I have a second hard drive that i reformatted with a Fat32 so I could share it with my XP and Linux partions....... I have like 4000 mp3's on it and i would like to get it to auto mount when Linux boots....? Or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mynameiskyle
5 Replies

2. Solaris

FAT32 usb external hard drive - how to mount??

Hello ! What is the comand to mount and usb hard disk ? I have Solaris 10 installed! 10nx! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daniel.balasa
1 Replies

3. Solaris

RAID 5 mount points don't automount on boot

Hi, I set up a RAID 5 configuration and for some reason the volumes won't mount when the system boots. I have to manually mount them from the command line and all is fine. Here's the vfstab entries: #device device mount FS fsck mount mount #to mount ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpollard001
2 Replies

4. Ubuntu

External Hard drive won't mount

i have a Simple Tech hard drive that i use between two computers. it is formatted to ntfs. i have a dell desktop with Ubuntu 7.10 and Ubuntu 8.04 and Windows XP Home. and i have a laptop with Ubuntu 7.10 and Ubuntu 8.04. the laptop recognizes the hard drive on both 8.04 and 7.10 but my desktop... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Texasone
9 Replies

5. AIX

Mount points to hard disks

Hi I am oracle DBA and sometimes need to see on which disks oracle data files are residing . How can we check that . The file system is jfs on aix 5.2.0.0 The method is use is to use mount |grep oracle_dir_name or lsfs mount_point_name command to see what /dev/logical_volume_name is mounted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clifford
1 Replies

6. AIX

Not able to mount user home dir from with automount

Hello there Have anyone configured an AIX 5L machine as NIS client? with homedirectories automounted form an NFS share? The NIS server is running Solaris. I am able to configure the AIX machine as client and user is able to login but I have configured the client to use the automountd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script to automatically mount external usb hard disk

hi all, I have a debian lenny 5.0 server without GNOME installed. the server is at a customer's premise. I want to backup data from the server to the external usb hard disk. the backup will start at e.g 01:00 everyday. the user will plug the drive before going home. also the user will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolatt
1 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

mount old hard drive

Hi guys, I have been looking around and searching for the past hour and did not see anything. but please forgive me if I missed something. I had a sparc 10 ultra cpu die on me, I got a replacement server from a very generous guy here, now I am getting around to remounting my old hard drive with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrDarkMatter
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

Cobbler - what is the advantage?

Hi guys, new user here, so please be gentle. I need to build a lot of servers at work on a weekly basis with various versions of RH and additional applications. We use PXE/Kickstart to do this with selections made from a simple menu structure. However, I keep hearing about Cobbler and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankpym
0 Replies

10. Solaris

How do I mount a USB Hard Drive?

I have a Sun-Fire V440 running with Solaris 9 and am trying to get a WD USB Hard Drive mounted. None of the articles I've read so far have helped. Output from rmformat: Looking for devices... 1. Volmgt Node: /vol/dev/aliases/rmdisk0 Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c5t0d0s2 ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: oldtimertj
17 Replies
AUTOMOUNT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      AUTOMOUNT(8)

NAME
automount -- mount autofs on the appropriate mount points SYNOPSIS
automount [-v] [-c] [-u] [-t timeout] DESCRIPTION
automount reads the /etc/auto_master file, and any local or network maps it includes, and mounts autofs on the appropriate mount points to cause mounts to be triggered. It will also attempt to unmount any top-level autofs mounts that correspond to maps no longer found. OPTIONS
-v Print more detailed information about actions taken by automount. -c Tell automountd(8) to flush any cached information it has. -u Unmount all non-busy automounted mounts. Top-level triggers are preserved. -t timeout Set to timeout seconds the time after which an automounted file system will be unmounted if it hasn't been referred to within that period of time. The default is 10 minutes (600 seconds). FILES
/etc/autofs.conf configuration file for automount and automountd. /etc/auto_master The master map contains a list of directories to be controlled by autofs and their associated direct map or indirect maps. SEE ALSO
auto_master(5), automountd(8), autofs.conf(5) Darwin July 17, 2010 Darwin