Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking configuring more than one ip for an inteface pemanently (linux) Post 18508 by farzolito on Friday 29th of March 2002 03:31:51 AM
Old 03-29-2002
Tools

ok thx, the /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 files doesn't exist on my OS that's why i found an other way to resolv it.

for my Sun Server with Solaris 8 :

I added an entry in /etc/hosts
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 'hostname'2

I already had the /etc/hostname.eri0
I created /etc/hostname.eri0:1
with in this file the 'hostname'2

and it's working Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Configuring USB in Red Hat Linux 9

Had problems in configuring USB memory stick in RHL 9. Please assist. With regards, Kungra. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kungra2006
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

configuring 2-gateways in linux

Hi, I want to configure 2-gateways in Linux . Please tell me how I can achieve this. I am accesing 2-internet connection through these 2-gateways. So I am looking that if 1-gets down then also other one is working. Regards JAGDISH (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagdish.machhi@
1 Replies

3. Solaris

how to know inteface name in ULTRA 20

hi friends, I have brand new Sun Ultra 20 WS installed. It was preinstalled with Solaris 10 6/06 system, in ifconfig -a command only loop back intervace is showing. and /etc/path_to_install also not able to find the interface name. my questions are: 1. Is there any command to get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subhankar
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Problem with configuring host name in Redhat Linux 5

Hi All when I give the command, $ ping <hostname> I get the following error ping: unknown host <hostname> I have checked in the following files, /etc/sysconfig/network /etc/hosts /etc/resolv.conf /etc/nsswitch.conf Every where in these files host name and IP address are given... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagapradeep
2 Replies

5. AIX

How to find the active network inteface on etherchannel

I have a server with multiple network interfaces. 2 of these interfaces, lets say en2 and en6 make up an etherchannel interface, which let's say en8. when I run the command lsattr -El ent8 I can see the designated primary and backup interfaces as ent6 and ent2, in the given order. But... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

configuring NTP in Solaris/Windows/Linux environment.

Can anybody please explain the below table to monitor NTP daemon status This contains many columns like remote,refid,st....various values corresponding to those columns If possible provide me any link to study about these quantities clearly. It is very much required for my project please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgand
3 Replies

7. IP Networking

Configuring Linux as a firewall

i have a linux server runnig oracle applications. i need to access this server from putty using ssh through internet. i did by registering my static ip with the dnydns.org and i am able to connect to the server. but now there is no security to authenticate any user as any one knowing the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: u.n.i.x
6 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

Configuring SNMP in linux

I am trying to enabling SNMP access and trap forwarding for Linux(RHEL5) using following official url from IBM. http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/eserver/v1r2/index.jsp?topic=/diricinfo/fqm0_t_enabling_snmp_access_and_trap_forwarding_for_linux.html In my system, snmp and snmplibs are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SiddhV
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

Configuring DNS Server in Linux Redhat

Can someone help with a detail step-by-step oh how to configure DNS server on Linux Server. - I need to have 3 IP addresses map to a single hostname. for clients I'm a Linux rookie. Thanks Oscar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FrankOscar
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Dot matrix Printer configuring on Linux RHEL AS 5.1

Dear Experts, We have requirement to configure Dot matrix printer in linux, Also need to register in Oracle application R12.0.6 version where i need get the print in landscape format. Request you all kindly help on the same. Thank you, Alone. ---------- Post updated 02-18-14 at 01:02... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alone
6 Replies
HOST.CONF(5)						    Linux System Administration 					      HOST.CONF(5)

NAME
host.conf - resolver configuration file DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/host.conf contains configuration information specific to the resolver library. It should contain one configuration keyword per line, followed by appropriate configuration information. The keywords recognized are order, trim, multi, nospoof, and reorder. These keywords are described below. order This keyword specifies how host lookups are to be performed. It should be followed by one or more lookup methods, separated by com- mas. Valid methods are bind, hosts, and nis. trim This keyword may be listed more than once. Each time it should be followed by a single domain name, with the leading dot. When set, the resolv+ library will automatically trim the given domain name from the end of any hostname resolved via DNS. This is intended for use with local hosts and domains. (Related note: trim will not affect host- names gathered via NIS or the hosts file. Care should be taken to ensure that the first hostname for each entry in the hosts file is fully qualified or non-qualified, as appropriate for the local installation.) multi Valid values are on and off. If set to on, the resolv+ library will return all valid addresses for a host that appears in the /etc/hosts file, instead of only the first. This is off by default, as it may cause a substantial performance loss at sites with large hosts files. nospoof Valid values are on and off. If set to on, the resolv+ library will attempt to prevent hostname spoofing to enhance the security of rlogin and rsh. It works as follows: after performing a host address lookup, resolv+ will perform a hostname lookup for that address. If the two hostnames do not match, the query will fail. spoofalert If this option is set to on and the nospoof option is also set, resolv+ will log a warning of the error via the syslog facility. The default value is off. reorder Valid values are on and off. If set to on, resolv+ will attempt to reorder host addresses so that local addresses (i.e., on the same subnet) are listed first when a gethostbyname(3) is performed. Reordering is done for all lookup methods. The default value is off. FILES
/etc/host.conf Resolver configuration file /etc/resolv.conf Resolver configuration file /etc/hosts Local hosts database SEE ALSO
gethostbyname(3), hostname(7), resolv+(8), named(8) Debian GNU/Linux 1997-01-02 HOST.CONF(5)