Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers text drivers for .txt and .csv files ?? Post 18378 by rwb1959 on Wednesday 27th of March 2002 05:51:13 PM
Old 03-27-2002
We always hate the things we are unfamilar with Smilie

Anyway, I don't know what your "unix tech" was talking
about with regard to text, ODBC drivers but if you have a "csv"
file, you can load it into MySQL assuming your table
data types are compatable, from the mysql prompt (if
I remember correctly)...

You can enter the file to be loaded with the full path, i.e.
LOAD DATA INFILE "/tmp/file.csv" INTO TABLE newtable;

This is how the text file should be formatted if you use mysql defaults (quoting the manual);
"If you don't specify a FIELDS clause, the defaults are the same as if you had written this:

FIELDS TERMINATED BY '\t' ENCLOSED BY '' ESCAPED BY '\\'

If you don't specify a LINES clause, the default is the same as if you had written this:

LINES TERMINATED BY '\n'"

Again, I would recommend becomming familiar with MySQL.
It is NOT based on Sybase. Check out the docs. at...
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/index.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK CSV to TXT format, TXT file not in a correct column format

HI guys, I have created a script to read 1 column in a csv file and then place it in text file. However, when i checked out the text file, it is not in a column format... Example: CSV file contains name,age aa,11 bb,22 cc,33 After using awk to get first column TXT file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdap
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or awk script to remove text / or perform calculations from large CSV files

I have a large CSV files (e.g. 2 million records) and am hoping to do one of two things. I have been trying to use awk and sed but am a newbie and can't figure out how to get it to work. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated - I'm stuck trying to remove the colon and wildcards in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: metronomadic
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine Multiple text or csv files column-wise

Hi All I am trying to combine columns from multiple text files into a single file using paste command but the record length being unequal in the different files the data is running over to the closest empty cell on the left. Please see below. What can i do to resolve this ? File 1 File... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: venky_ibm
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Strings in 2 .csv/txt files?

EDIT: My problems have been solved thanks to the help of bartus11 and pravin27 This code is just to help me learn. It serves no purpose other than that. Here's a sample csv that I'm working with - #listofpeeps.csv Jackie Chan,1954,M Chuck Norris,1930,M Bruce Lee,1940,M This code is... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: chickeneaterguy
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing txt, xml files and preparing csv file

Hi, I need to parse text, xml files to get the statistic numbers and prepare summary csv file. What is the best way to parse these file and prepare csv file. Any idea you have , please? Regards, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxLearner
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help combining txt files w/ multiple lines into csv single cell - also need data merge

:confused:Hello -- i just joined the forums. I am a complete noob -- only about 1 week into learning how to program anything... and starting with linux. I am working in Linux terminal. I have a folder with a bunch of txt files. Each file has several lines of html code. I want to combine... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jetsetter
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a .csv file from 2 different .txt files?

Hi, I need to create a .csv file from information that i have in two different tab delimited .txt file. I just want to select some of the columns of each .txt file and paste them into a .cvs file. My files look like: File 1 transcript_id Seq. Description Seq. Length ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisrpp
2 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

2 Questions: replace text in txt file, add text to end of txt file

so... Lets assume I have a text file. The text file contains multiple "#" symbols. I want to replace all thos "#"s with a STRING using DOS/Batch I want to add a certain TEXT to the end of each line. How can I do this WITHOUT aid of sed, grep or anything linux related ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pasc
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read multiple text files and copy data to csv

hi i need to extract lines from multiple files to a csv file. for example, i have these 3 files file1.txt date:29dec1980 caller:91245824255 called:8127766 file2.txt date:11apr2014 caller:9155584558 called:8115478 file3.txt date:25jun2015 caller:445225552 called:8117485 (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: lp.descamps
30 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search last column of INPUT.txt in TABLEs text and add correspond columns to INPUT.txt

Hi dears i use bash shell i have INPUT.txt like this number of columns different in one some row have 12 , some 11 columns see last column INPUT.txt CodeGender Age Grade Dialect Session Sentence Start End Length Phonemic Phonetic 63 M 27 BS/BA TEHRANI 3 4 298320 310050... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alii
2 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)