Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: banner with ftp
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers banner with ftp Post 18375 by thehoghunter on Wednesday 27th of March 2002 04:37:27 PM
Old 03-27-2002
If you are using WU-ftpd 2.6.2, then find your default directory (I believe it should be /etc/ftpd). You should vi ftpaccess and look for this line.

banner /etc/ftpd/msg.banner

Vi that file and put what you want in it. Also look for "greeting" in ftpaccess - it can be set to different levels.

See the man page on ftpaccess at www.wu-ftpd.org

As far as SUN, you should edit /etc/default/ftpd. Check the man page on ftpd for syntax.
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Telnet Banner

I need to put a telnet banner on AIX 4.3 and 5.1 servers, so the users can see a warning message before logging into the system. I know /etc/motd will give the message after the login. Basically what I am asking is how do I tell system to read the /etc/issue file on AIX?. Thank you, in advance... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smohd
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

short banner

how to add a (sb) short banner in printcap i need print a extraline my OS unix 5.0.5 :( Tnx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoMaGo
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Banner command

Hey all, I want to use the banner/echo command to write messages on different console windows. I knew that before, but I completely forget how to do it ! I just remenber that /dev/pts/# is the number of the window. and it's useful. It would be great if someone knows how to solve my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxwell17
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Banner

How can I display a message to the crt whenever someone logs on? They do not see a unix prompt. I need to easily update this also. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beetlejuice
2 Replies

5. Linux

banner command

is there a similiar function to the solaris banner function in linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

6. Linux

login banner

Hi, I have added in banner in both /etc/banner and /etc/issue.net one by one in Linux but the banner is not displaying while user type username and enter I have restarted the ssh service also Any idea why? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

banner command

can I use Banner command in Linux, if not, what is the similar command in linux then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

regarding banner command

Iam a MCA student having some doubts about 1) different disk related commands 2) Banner command 3) Different file related commands 4) set eb (where it is used) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gururajbhat
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with banner.

is there a way to reduce the size of the banner? banner -w ? TIA (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: budz26
8 Replies

10. AIX

ftp banner

Hi Admins, As part of security, i need to modify ftp login message. I followd below steps to accomplish the same. 1.Created a message file test.msg with line number 9 9 This machine belongs to private.Unauthorised access are not allowed and will be prosecuted. 2. gencat ftpd.cat... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newaix
0 Replies
ftpd_selinux(8) 					 ftpd SELinux policy documentation					   ftpd_selinux(8)

NAME
ftpd_selinux - Security-Enhanced Linux policy for ftp daemons. DESCRIPTION
Security-Enhanced Linux provides security for ftp daemons via flexible mandatory access control. FILE_CONTEXTS SELinux requires files to have a file type. File types may be specified with semanage and are restored with restorecon. Policy governs the access that daemons have to files. Allow ftp servers to read the /var/ftp directory by adding the public_content_t file type to the directory and by restoring the file type. semanage fcontext -a -t public_content_t "/var/ftp(/.*)?" restorecon -F -R -v /var/ftp Allow ftp servers to read and write /var/tmp/incoming by adding the public_content_rw_t type to the directory and by restoring the file type. This also requires the allow_ftpd_anon_write boolean to be set. semanage fcontext -a -t public_content_rw_t "/var/ftp/incoming(/.*)?" restorecon -F -R -v /var/ftp/incoming BOOLEANS
SELinux policy is based on least privilege required and may also be customizable by setting a boolean with setsebool. Allow ftp servers to read and write files with the public_content_rw_t file type. setsebool -P allow_ftpd_anon_write on Allow ftp servers to read or write files in the user home directories. setsebool -P ftp_home_dir on Allow ftp servers to read or write all files on the system. setsebool -P allow_ftpd_full_access on Allow ftp servers to use cifs for public file transfer services. setsebool -P allow_ftpd_use_cifs on Allow ftp servers to use nfs for public file transfer services. setsebool -P allow_ftpd_use_nfs on system-config-selinux is a GUI tool available to customize SELinux policy settings. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Dan Walsh <dwalsh@redhat.com>. SEE ALSO
selinux(8), ftpd(8), setsebool(8), semanage(8), restorecon(8) dwalsh@redhat.com 17 Jan 2005 ftpd_selinux(8)