Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Uh oh! system32/hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Post 18321 by LivinFree on Wednesday 27th of March 2002 03:12:34 AM
Old 03-27-2002
Win2k is set up by default with the NTFS filesystem.
Please please don't tell me you let Linux write to the NTFS filesystem! (It shouldn't do it by itself, but if you mounted your Windows drive read-write, that is what could do this). Writing to it corrupts the filesystem bad enough that you have to run a utility in Linux on the device before rebooting, then let chkdisk finish the job when Windows comes up...

Here is the info listed when recompiling the kernel:
Quote:
NTFS write support (DANGEROUS)
CONFIG_NTFS_RW
If you say Y here, you will (maybe) be able to write to NTFS
file systems as well as read from them. The read-write support in
NTFS is far from being complete and is not well tested. If you
say Y here, back up your NTFS volume first, since it will
probably get damaged. Also, download the Linux-NTFS project
distribution from Sourceforge at http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ and
always run the included ntfsfix utility after writing to an NTFS
partition from Linux to fix some of the damage done by the
driver. You should run ntfsfix _after_ unmounting the partition
in Linux but _before_ rebooting into Windows. When Windows next
boots, chkdsk will be run automatically to fix the remaining
damage. Please note that write support is limited to Windows NT4
and earlier versions.

If unsure, say N.
It also mentions that it only works with NT4 and earlier, so the Win2k NTFS versions , nor the WinXP versions of the filesystem is supported (That is, if you even want to call the NT4 fs "supported").

This isn't set by default in any kernel that I've ever seen, so if you did recompile to get this functionality, you should have been reading all the recommended docs, and absolutely do NOT enable any kernel function that you are unsure of - research first!

There may be ways to fix it though, that I am not seeing. Search google for lots of information, and visit the many Linux-NTFS sites.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Dll

Hello all is there any concept of DLL in UNIX if so mention the name of the library linking dynamically Bye Raj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajashekaran
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris 8 - SUNWcsr cluster missing/corrupt ?

Hi all I'm currently trying to install OpenSSH on a number of servers and for the most part succeeding. Unfortunately one of the Sun V880 servers is complaining when I try to install the /dev/random (entropy) patch (112438-01) needed for the SSH keys. Error below.... (ignore 'the patch has... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brett
3 Replies

3. Linux

Fake System32 Folder

I read somewhere that you can create a fake system32 folder in linux where you can store the most common windows runtime libraries, that way you can install windows programs (using wine) directly in linux, what I meen is that even the installer works. Does anyone know how I can do this, and where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kimm
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

dll layer

Hi all , How can I achieve getting the IP address of a local machine, by sending packet over dll layer with its mac address, and how should the frame be consturcted without providing the IP address of the destination machine. Thanx (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: netsavy
0 Replies

5. Programming

Compiling with Dll in HP Ux

Hi all, I had trouble compiling my application with a custom dll, the error appear to be some undefined reference to the functions i had created in my dll. Is there a need to update any environmental variable such as LD_LIBRARY_PATH as in linux system. Please advise. One more thing is do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwgi32
2 Replies

6. Linux

Hal deamon..

I have install centos on my server,.. then after rebooting 2 ,3 times , hal deamon cannot start, and system hang on boot.. when i google, i found the solution which is off the hal daemon service... my question is, what is the effect if i off the deamon service ?:confused: tq (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultramen7
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regarding DLL's

hello Forum members, what is internal mechanism of DLL's in Unix kernal.what is the major advantage over static libraries. Thanks & Regards Siva Ranganath (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: workforsiva
2 Replies
NTFSFIX(8)						      System Manager's Manual							NTFSFIX(8)

NAME
ntfsfix - fix common errors and force Windows to check NTFS SYNOPSIS
ntfsfix [options] device DESCRIPTION
ntfsfix is a utility that fixes some common NTFS problems. ntfsfix is NOT a Linux version of chkdsk. It only repairs some fundamental NTFS inconsistencies, resets the NTFS journal file and schedules an NTFS consistency check for the first boot into Windows. You may run ntfsfix on an NTFS volume if you think it was damaged by Windows or some other way and it can't be mounted. OPTIONS
Below is a summary of all the options that ntfsfix accepts. Nearly all options have two equivalent names. The short name is preceded by - and the long name is preceded by --. Any single letter options, that don't take an argument, can be combined into a single command, e.g. -fv is equivalent to -f -v. Long named options can be abbreviated to any unique prefix of their name. -h, --help Show a list of options with a brief description of each one. -V, --version Show the version number, copyright and license BUGS
There are no known problems with ntfsfix. If you find a bug please send an email describing the problem to the development team: linux-ntfs-dev@lists.sourceforge.net AUTHORS
ntfsfix was written by Anton Altaparmakov, with contributions from Szabolcs Szakacsits. AVAILABILITY
ntfsfix is part of the ntfsprogs package and is available from: http://www.linux-ntfs.org/content/view/19/37 The manual pages are available online at: http://man.linux-ntfs.org/ SEE ALSO
mkntfs(8), ntfsprogs(8) ntfsprogs 1.13.1 January 2006 NTFSFIX(8)