Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fsck -y
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory fsck -y Post 18305 by rpatrick on Tuesday 26th of March 2002 09:57:56 PM
Old 03-26-2002
fsck -y

Once in a while, I would think it advisable to run fsck -y to check the disk.
Should I sign in as su or sudo?
What is the difference and which is preferred?

Thank you in Advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

fsck

OS: Solaris 5.8 Everytime I run fsck -y I get: FILE SYSTEM STATE IN SUPERBLOCK IS WRONG; FIX? yes Do I need to run fsck with the backup superblock option or is there some other option I should use. I have tried the format->analyze->read option but that does not report any corrupt blocks.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fsck - what should be done?

I want to use fsck to check and repair my linux system. When I use this command, what do I need to pay attention to or what should I do to make job running successfully. Thanks for your inputs for a newbie. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fsck ques

hy guys I got a ques I cant acess root, i tried to fsck it, but gets errors to read file systems. What steps do you take to recover the host before you see if there is any data corruption on the root drive? Regards Charneet (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: charneet
1 Replies

4. Solaris

fsck -o

Hello I am getting this in dmesg: /mount1: unexpected free inode 1262865, run fsck(1M) -o f What are the options I should use with fsck? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about fsck

i want to know what does it mean by doing a consistentcy check fsck on a disk and why journaling filesystems dont need to do it and what is meant by disk is in a consistent state when writing because entries are recorded in a journal and then to the metadata and then removed from journal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: farhan_t49
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fsck error

Hello I own a SPARC Ultra 10 workstation (standalone) and when issuing the fsck command I get the following output on fs C0t0d0s7: Phase 1 (checks blocks and sizes): dada warning: /pci@lf;0/pci@1, 1/ide@3/dad@0,0(dad1): ATA Transport failed:reason, `incomplete'> Uncorrectable data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjwops
2 Replies

7. Solaris

unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0)

What can I fix this issue? I have ran below commands but everything is same.:confused: WARNING: Last shutdown is later than time on time-of-day chip: check date. The / file system (/dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0) is being checked WARNING - unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

fsck issue on /

unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- What can I fix this issue? I have ran below commands but everything is same. WARNING: Last shutdown is later than time... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayPuttu
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Fsck in vxvm

Hi, When we are running fsck in vxvm FS within few sec it will completed even if data is more than 500GB or in TB also. compare to UFS FS in that it will take more time compare with vxvm.UFS check FS in block level. & then vvxm on where its checking the FS. Please explain. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tiger09
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Fsck question

Dear all, solaris version -------------------- Oracle Solaris 10 9/10 s10s_u9wos_14a SPARC Copyright (c) 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. Assembled 11 August 2010 -bash-3.2$ uname -a SunOS nblabsvr 5.10 Generic_144488-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ossupport55
5 Replies
fsck.gfs2(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      fsck.gfs2(8)

NAME
fsck.gfs2 - Offline GFS and GFS2 file system checker SYNOPSIS
fsck.gfs2 [OPTION]... DEVICE WARNING
All computers must have the filesystem unmounted before running fsck.gfs2. Failure to unmount from all nodes in a cluster will likely result in filesystem corruption. DESCRIPTION
fsck.gfs2 will check that the GFS or GFS2 file system on a device is structurally valid. It should not be run on a mounted file system. If file system corruption is detected, it will attempt to repair the file system. There is a limit to what fsck.gfs2 can do. If important file system structures are destroyed, such that the checker cannot determine what the repairs should be, reparations could fail. GFS2 is a journaled file system, and as such should be able to repair damage to the file system on its own. However, faulty hardware has the ability to write incomplete blocks to a file system thereby causing corruption that GFS2 cannot fix. The first step to ensuring a healthy file system is the selection of reliable hardware (i.e. storage systems that will write complete blocks - even in the event of power failure). Note: Most file system checkers will not check the file system if it is "clean" (i.e. unmounted since the last use). The fsck.gfs program behaves differently because the storage may be shared among several nodes in a cluster, and therefore problems may have been introduced on a different computer. Therefore, fsck.gfs2 will always check the file system unless the -p (preen) option is used, in which case it fol- lows special rules (see below). OPTIONS
-a Same as the -p (preen) option. -f Force checking even if the file system seems clean. -h Help. This prints out the proper command line usage syntax. -q Quiet. -n No to all questions. By specifying this option, fsck.gfs2 will only show the changes that would be made, but not make any changes to the filesystem. -p Preen (same as -a: automatically repair the file system if it is dirty, and safe to do so, otherwise exit.) Note: If the file system has locking protocol lock_nolock, the file system is considered a non-shared storage device and the fsck is deemed safe. However, fsck.gfs2 does not know whether it was called automatically from the init process, due to options in the /etc/fstab file. Therefore, if the locking protocol is lock_dlm and -a or -p was specified, fsck.gfs2 cannot determine whether the disk is mounted by other nodes in the cluster. Therefore, the fsck is deemed to be unsafe and a warning is given if any damage or dirty journals are found. In that case, the file system should be unmounted from all nodes in the cluster and fsck.gfs2 should be run manually without the -a or -p options. -V Version. Print out the program version information. -v Verbose operation. Print more information while running. -y Yes to all questions. By specifying this option, fsck.gfs2 will not prompt before making changes. fsck.gfs2(8)