Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Irix Root Paasword Recovery
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Irix Root Paasword Recovery Post 18258 by DPAI on Tuesday 26th of March 2002 09:53:02 AM
Old 03-26-2002
Problem Is that I donot have a CDROM , So I need to Remote BOOT .

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Irix

I have an SGI running IRIX 6.5 The prob is when i login as user and open a file , it gives me error as "OUT OF MEMORY" when i su or login as root . THis error disappers I have lot of space in the System . Thanx DPai (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I am looking for a link in IRIX 5.3

I am using IRIX 5.3, When I type "man" in a UNIX text console from any machine on my network, I want to pull out the man pages from the station where they have been installed. Would anyone know the link? I would be so greatfull. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Trixee
1 Replies

3. Programming

Irix 5.3

I am using IRIX 5.3, When I type "man" in a UNIX text console from any machine on my network, I want to pull out the man pages from the station where they have been installed. Would anyone know the link? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trixee
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SunOS version 5.7 root password recovery?

I just received a Sun microsystem ultra 5 for a auction, it is running sunOS version 5.7, when it boots it asks for user login and password, I dont have either, is there a way to login in as root user with out the password or is there a way to recover the password so I can get in to my system? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mscav219
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PASSLENGTH on Irix

My first post here, and hopefully it will be one of many to come. I am currently running multiple SGI's with different versions of Irix. I have a problem setting the minimum password length for users. I have modified the /etc/default/passwd so that PASSLENGTH = 8 However, it still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: herrmag
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IRIX 6.5 newbie

I have had the great fortune to get an sgi octane for free! :D I have managed to get me an OS(IRIX 6.5.19f) but I have some questions that I hope are not too simple to the gurus out there. Before I ask, I build macs and PC's and have had some experience hacking osx into old beige macs, and pcs,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gheem
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

How to create user in HP with NULL paasword

What files needs to be modified so that an user is created with null password..I have made changes in the files for aix,solaris and HP so that user can be created with password length 0(blank password)...I guess for NULL password there will be no prompt for password...and `passwd -s user` will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RPG
1 Replies

8. SCO

Overwritten /dev/root -recovery of SCO OpenServer 5.0.4

Due to my own stupidity I managed to overwrite my /dev/root device using dd (don't ask). Current state is - Have current backup created using cpio (command used was 'find . -mount -depth -print|cpio -ocB > $TAPE') - Once I realised what was happening powered off the server but this was too... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ok2
2 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Ubuntu root recovery!

Hi I have an Ubuntu 10.10 machine. I want to recover root password. I know it have to be done while booting but in boot shell. I tried to do it but failed. Please remedy my problem. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies
APT-CDROM(8)								APT							      APT-CDROM(8)

NAME
apt-cdrom - APT CDROM management utility SYNOPSIS
apt-cdrom [-hvrmfan] [-d=cdrom mount point] [-o=config string] [-c=file] [[add] | [ident]] DESCRIPTION
apt-cdrom is used to add a new CDROM to APTs list of available sources. apt-cdrom takes care of determining the structure of the disc as well as correcting for several possible mis-burns and verifying the index files. It is necessary to use apt-cdrom to add CDs to the APT system, it cannot be done by hand. Furthermore each disk in a multi-cd set must be inserted and scanned separately to account for possible mis-burns. Unless the -h, or --help option is given one of the commands below must be present. add add is used to add a new disc to the source list. It will unmount the CDROM device, prompt for a disk to be inserted and then proceed to scan it and copy the index files. If the disc does not have a proper disk directory you will be prompted for a descriptive title. APT uses a CDROM ID to track which disc is currently in the drive and maintains a database of these IDs in /var/lib/apt/cdroms.list ident A debugging tool to report the identity of the current disc as well as the stored file name OPTIONS
All command line options may be set using the configuration file, the descriptions indicate the configuration option to set. For boolean options you can override the config file by using something like -f-,--no-f, -f=no or several other variations. -d, --cdrom Mount point; specify the location to mount the cdrom. This mount point must be listed in /etc/fstab and properly configured. Configuration Item: Acquire::cdrom::mount. -r, --rename Rename a disc; change the label of a disk or override the disks given label. This option will cause apt-cdrom to prompt for a new label. Configuration Item: APT::CDROM::Rename. -m, --no-mount No mounting; prevent apt-cdrom from mounting and unmounting the mount point. Configuration Item: APT::CDROM::NoMount. -f, --fast Fast Copy; Assume the package files are valid and do not check every package. This option should be used only if apt-cdrom has been run on this disc before and did not detect any errors. Configuration Item: APT::CDROM::Fast. -a, --thorough Thorough Package Scan; This option may be needed with some old Debian 1.1/1.2 discs that have Package files in strange places. It takes much longer to scan the CD but will pick them all up. -n, --just-print, --recon, --no-act No Changes; Do not change the sources.list(5) file and do not write index files. Everything is still checked however. Configuration Item: APT::CDROM::NoAct. -h, --help Show a short usage summary. -v, --version Show the program version. -c, --config-file Configuration File; Specify a configuration file to use. The program will read the default configuration file and then this configuration file. If configuration settings need to be set before the default configuration files are parsed specify a file with the APT_CONFIG environment variable. See apt.conf(5) for syntax information. -o, --option Set a Configuration Option; This will set an arbitrary configuration option. The syntax is -o Foo::Bar=bar. -o and --option can be used multiple times to set different options. SEE ALSO
apt.conf(5), apt-get(8), sources.list(5) DIAGNOSTICS
apt-cdrom returns zero on normal operation, decimal 100 on error. BUGS
APT bug page[1]. If you wish to report a bug in APT, please see /usr/share/doc/debian/bug-reporting.txt or the reportbug(1) command. AUTHORS
Jason Gunthorpe APT team NOTES
1. APT bug page http://bugs.debian.org/src:apt Linux 14 February 2004 APT-CDROM(8)