Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File password.
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers File password. Post 18234 by LivinFree on Tuesday 26th of March 2002 05:38:04 AM
Old 03-26-2002
Also, you could encrypt, or otherwise scramble the file. Depending on your Unix, you may have the "crypt" command installed, or something that could do what you want (PGP, GnuPG, BestCrypt, etc..). Warning: the learning curve gets steeper depending on what features you need / want, but in some cases, it's more than worth it.
I currently use GnuPG and BestCrypt. GnuPG is used for email and other small text snippets, while BestCrypt is used for secure file storage - It's a good idea, and farily straight forward: You create a data container of a given size, install the special device drivers, and mount it as a live filesystem. Just make sure you unmount it on your way out, otherwise it's not too useful, right?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password protect a file

I have created a PHP page that I use to clean files on my machine. I would like to leave the file there but I want to password protect it so that I am the only one that can run it from the shell. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks. -Cam (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perryl7
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password on File

hi , have a nice day i need some help on this , lets suppose i have a script at certain path , i can set its attributes with chmod but since me and all my colleagues have "root" access on that machine so chmod wont do the job i want them all to only be able to execute this script but cant... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dastard
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem in converting password protected excel file to csv file in unix

I need to convert a password protected excel file which will be in UNIX server to a comma separated file. For this I need to open the excel file in UNIX box but the UNIX box doesn't prompt for password instead it is opened in an encrypted manner. I could manually ftp the excel file to local... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devivish
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password Protecting a File

hello there. Is there a way to password protect a file and make it so that several passwords can open it? i'm trying to write a script that open up a file if the password given by a user is one of many other passwords in the database of the file. not sure if this is possible. thanks the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

password protect a CSV file: better solution than ZIP password?

Hi We send *.csv with sensitive data to our customers. Our customers open those files with Excel. A new requirement is that we password protect those CSV files. I thought to pack them with ZIP and assign a password to the archive. But Solaris 10 can't encrypt ZIP files. $ zip -P... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password Protecting a File

Hi Guys, I am generating a csv file using a shell script in Unix. Please can you guys advise if I can also password protect the file. Best Regards, Shaz (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shazin
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SSH password from file

Hi Admin I'm trying to execute on a script which in my production server. The production server has to phase login. First, we need to login to a Taxi server by opening a putty session from there we need to login to production server. Both servers using same LDAP id so I am able to login with... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil.ak
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip a file with password

Hi, newbie to Linux, is there another way to zip a file with a password other than using 'zip' command? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mined
7 Replies

10. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
GSHADOW(5)						   File Formats and Conversions 						GSHADOW(5)

NAME
gshadow - shadowed group file DESCRIPTION
/etc/gshadow contains the shadowed information for group accounts. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. Each line of this file contains the following colon-separated fields: group name It must be a valid group name, which exist on the system. encrypted password Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. If the password field contains some string that is not a valid result of crypt(3), for instance ! or *, users will not be able to use a unix password to access the group (but group members do not need the password). The password is used when an user who is not a member of the group wants to gain the permissions of this group (see newgrp(1)). This field may be empty, in which case only the group members can gain the group permissions. A password field which starts with a exclamation mark means that the password is locked. The remaining characters on the line represent the password field before the password was locked. This password supersedes any password specified in /etc/group. administrators It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Administrators can change the password or the members of the group. Administrators also have the same permissions as the members (see below). members It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Members can access the group without being prompted for a password. You should use the same list of users as in /etc/group. FILES
/etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
gpasswd(5), group(5), grpck(8), grpconv(8), newgrp(1). File Formats and Conversions 06/24/2011 GSHADOW(5)