Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Are their any Front Page 2000 *linux* programs? Post 17942 by MaxCat on Thursday 21st of March 2002 10:58:14 AM
Old 03-21-2002
Alternitive Frontpage

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I tried running both Bluefish and coffeecup on my RH 7.1 and neither would run. Bluefish just refuses to do anything, and the coffeecup installer doesen't work. Any other Frontpage lookalikes, or editors with same functions?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Programs In Linux

I am not sure how to install a program in linux. I have Java 2 on a CD the CD Mounts but then I'm lost. What do I need to do so that the programm will install on my system? Thank you, Monkette (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kdelph
6 Replies

2. Linux

Windows 2000 to Linux

:confused: I currently have windows 2000 installed on a 38 Gigabyte HD. I recently picked up a 'Teach Yourself Linux in 24 Hours' book. The book comes with a copy of redhat 5.0 (hurricane). I tried reinstalling windows with a partition of 10 GBs with a fat32 file system. That left me with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rawdawg
5 Replies

3. Linux

Linux-programs

I have installed Red Hat Linux 9.0 recently on my computer. Im wondering if there are any good sites for downloading linux programs besides the site of Red Hat. Thank you in advance!:D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolidSnake
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

i need c programs for linux commands

hi i am doing a small project on linux shell so if anyone can provide me some programs which can ipmlement commands like copy,date,calendar ....thank u (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lit_joel
1 Replies

5. Linux

Doubt about programs for testing Linux performance

Hello friends, I'm working on a Thesis and right now I'm in a phase of comparing a Linux vs Windows performance in similar situations on the same machine. I'm asking here because I would like help on this, since I've always worked in Linux as an Administrator and a user, never as a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lzcool
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Are programs like sys_open( ) ,sys_read( ) et al examples of system level programs ?

Are the programs written on schedulers ,thread library , process management, memory management, et al called systems programs ? How are they different from the programs that implement functions like open() , printf() , scanf() , read() .. they have a prefix sys_open, sys_close, sys_read etc , right... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Communicate to the OS(linux) using front end.

Hi guys , I want to develop a web page which is capable of executing the command on os and show the output on the browser.(Which involves reading and writing too.) I m using jsp language to develop the web page. How would i use it to communicate with my linux server? Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Installing Commercial Linux Programs

I a writing a program which I would like to distribute commercially to Linux users. This question doesn't apply specifically to Ubuntu, but Ubuntu will be one of the Linux systems involved, and Ubuntu is one of the systems on which I have practiced installing. I have sufficient Linux experience... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrandonShw
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux dollar sign in front of directory

I'm looking at a config file with dollar signs. What do the dollar signs mean in front of a directory? dir = ./demoCA # Where everything is kept certs = $dir/certs # Where the issued certs are kept crl_dir = $dir/crl # Where the issued crl are kept new_certs_dir = $dir/newcerts # default... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)