Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions UNIX/Linux for Windows? and a few other questions... Post 17925 by LivinFree on Thursday 21st of March 2002 08:40:50 AM
Old 03-21-2002
Linus Torvalds pronounces it like killerserv says: lee-nucks.
The closest Americanized english is probably Lin-ucks, but I doubt very many people will care...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows vs Unix/Linux

Hello is it possible to have Both Windows AND Unix and even mabey Windows AND Unix AND Linux on 1 machine?? GŪ33Tz:confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: justin45
7 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows vs Unix/Linux 2

This subject was brought up a short while ago. The question someone asked was is it possible to have Windows, Unix and Linux on one machine. It is possible to have a dual boot machine and it is possible to run Linux under windows and windows under linux. It is better to run Windows under Linux... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacx2
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Absolute n00b questions about Unix / Linux

Hi All, I have absolutely no experince with either one, and would LOVE to start from somewhere! So please guide me to some web sites (beside these great forums of course!) that I can obtain n00b information. (Books, links, resources, etc.) What software OS? should I begin with? I have heard... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CodeHunter
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux on Windows

I installed Vmware wotrkstation and installed Fedora Linux.. is working fine now. While on windows I can access and enjoy fedora linux But I have a question regarding if I download a file in windows and want that file to be transferred to /usr file system in my Fedora linux. How can I do that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu_nbk
5 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Questions about Unix/Linux

Hello all. Im a young lad with very limited experience with computers, even though I have been playing with them the past 5 years. I have the experience of the random World of Warcraft player that plays games all day. I have a huge interest in learning everything about computers and I was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vallzi
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux Scripts questions

Hi All, You have a very large file, named 'ColCheckMe', tab-delimited, that you are asked to process. You are told that each line in 'ColCheckMe' has 7 columns, and that the values in the 5th column are integers. Using shell functions (and standard LINUX/UNIX filters), indicate how you would... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: am2007
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Few questions on unix/linux

Hi , please give few answers for this questions:confused::confused: ...thanks in advance What shell do you use when you log in to a UNIX/Linux host? What command will show you the shell you're using? Describe 5 things you can do in Linux/UNIX. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hecker007
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix and Linux questions

Sorry for the dumb question......I got my B.S. in computer science Amazing how I don't these answers).....I wrote mostly in the language C in my college career. I wrote all my programs using a windows application for writing C.....and then after testing it, I would upload it to a UNIX system and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bruuuuce78
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix vs linux in the job place and other questions

hello all, im new to this site...and look forward to corresponding with you all. i am a microsoft kid (sad) currently i work on small networks and repair computers for home and business. i want to better my skill set...but dont want to carry on down the MS route. Basically i want to... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: j0n1n
12 Replies
american-english-small(5)					   Users' Manual					 american-english-small(5)

NAME
american-english-small - a list of English words DESCRIPTION
/usr/share/dict/american-english-small is an ASCII file which contains an alphabetic list of words, one per line. FILES
There may be any number of word lists in /usr/share/dict/. /etc/dictionaries-common/words is a symbolic link to the currently-chosen /usr/share/dict/<language> file. /usr/share/dict/words is a symbolic link to /etc/dictionaries-common/words, and is the name by which other software should refer to the system word list. See select-default-wordlist(8) for more information, and/or to change the currently- chosen word list. The directory /usr/share/dict can contain word lists for many languages, with name of the language in English, e.g., /usr/share/dict/french and /usr/share/dict/danish contain respectively lists of French and Danish words if they exist. Such lists should be coded using the ISO 8859-1 character set encoding. SEE ALSO
ispell(1), select-default-wordlist(8), and the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. HISTORY
The words lists are not specific, and may be generated from any number of sources. The system word list used to be /usr/dict/words. For compatibility, software should check that location if /usr/share/dict/words does not exist. AUTHOR
Word lists are collected and maintained by various authors. The Debian English word lists are built from the SCOWL (Spell- Checker Ori- ented Word Lists) package, whose upstream editor is Kevin Atkinson <kevina@users.sourceforge.net>. Debian 16 June 2003 american-english-small(5)