Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users User Access Problem: Via Telnet or even Console Post 17768 by ASKIA on Wednesday 20th of March 2002 03:50:18 AM
Old 03-20-2002
Login Issus!!!

You may want to ask the previous Admin if he/she done anything to corrupt the File System(libraries) or Kernel.

A sign of this is if the system takes a long time or hangs to bring you to the console login screen after booting init or hangs after you try login in w/ your user/pass.

Is the Disk space %100 capacitated!!!

You should take a look at the syslog messages, history commands, and importantly boot log.

Try booting into runlevel 1 single user maintainance mode!!!

Check for Memory leaks also - "free" , "vmstat 1" , "top".

You may want to back up "tar -zcvf" your config files on a seperate partition and reinstall the OS on the root partition.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Home directory different console vs. telnet

Hello, One of the customers I suppport has a interesting problem I've never seen. I've searched the forums and found nothing relevant, so I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction. He is running Redhat Enterprise Linux 3 on a Dell PC. He also uses Sun workstations. He has a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rhfrommn
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

Unable to login at console and telnet

Hi friend, I'm facing a problem to access the console and telnet to the HP ux 11 server due to the system file is full. How to access this server via single mode and how to mount the folder / and folder /var? thanks. vestro (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vestro
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Connecting as CONSOLE using Telnet.

Hi, I need to connect as CONSOLE from my WinXP PC to a Solaris server (Solaris 9 SPARC) using telnet. I cannot use HyperTerminal as there is no direct link between my PC and the server (it is a remote server). How to do this? Regards. M. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahatma
3 Replies

4. AIX

cant telnet to aix 5.2 and not even access through serial console

I have installed aix 5.2 on aix box through serial console connected to COM 1 . I even get a login prompt after the fresh installation . But as soon as i give a root & enter i again get a login prompt.i..e I am not able to logon after a fresh installation. and even i configured IP configuration... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxnightowl84
0 Replies

5. AIX

Not able to login as normal users through console /telnet/ssh

Hi , I am having problem,users are not able to login through ssh or telnet.Only we can login as root user in console. Restarted telnet and sshd ,no luck. Any ideas. AIX -- 5.2 ML 07 Thanks, MNK (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnkfre
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sftp problem with user id of no telnet session allowed

We used to have a ftp user id with no telnet session allowed in server side. We used this ftp user id in script by transferring file from client to Server. Currently we need to implement sftp to replace ftp. We have tested few round and working fine by using sftp with normal user id (allow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: superdougl
2 Replies

7. SCO

how do I add a user with privs to console access?

how do you add a new user to a SCO system that has the ability to log into the console and get the graphical desktop? i tried: useradd test passwd test **** but when i log try to log into the console it gives me a bunch of permissions errors... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: herot
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Force user to use ssh/prevent telnet access

I have just set up a user on our system HP-Thru64. The user needs to be able to su to root after they login and this works fine. Users cannot login from root externally so you have to first connect as a user and then su. I am wondering is it possible for me to prevent the user from having telnet... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: peragin
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to access console of a switch having rj45 on switch side to db 9 female on pc side console cable

hi, how to access console of a switch having rj45 on switch side to db 9 female on pc side console cable which needs to be connected to one console server having rj11 on its side and db 9 female on other end.i.e. on switch side,console cable has rj45 and db 9 pin female connector on other side of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajd
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Console Login and Telnet

Hopefully my question makes sense, but I was wondering if the telnet service has anything to do with console logins or if they are completely unrelated. So for example, does the /etc/default/login file in UNIX have anything to do with Telnet? So if I want to verify that the root user can't login... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ixauditor
8 Replies
sulogin(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       sulogin(1M)

NAME
sulogin - access single-user mode SYNOPSIS
sulogin DESCRIPTION
The sulogin utility is automatically invoked by init when the system is first started. It prompts the user to type the root password to enter system maintenance mode (single-user mode) or to type EOF (typically <CTRL-D>) for normal startup (multi-user mode). The user should never directly invoke sulogin. The sulogin utility can prompt the user to enter the root password on a variable number of serial console devices, in addition to the tra- ditional console device. See consadm(1M) and msglog(7D) for a description of how to configure a serial device to display the single-user login prompt. FILES
/etc/default/sulogin Default value can be set for the following flag: PASSREQ Determines if login requires a password. Default is PASSREQ=YES. /etc/default/login Default value can be set for the following flag: SLEEPTIME If present, sets the number of seconds to wait before login failure is printed to the screen and another login attempt is allowed. Default is 4 seconds. Minimum is 0 seconds. Maximum is 5 seconds. Both su(1M) and login(1) are affected by the value of SLEEPTIME. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
login(1), consadm(1M), init(1M), su(1M), attributes(5), msglog(7D) SunOS 5.10 25 Sep 2002 sulogin(1M)