Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Subtracting Variables which are commands Post 1771 by PxT on Thursday 29th of March 2001 10:55:10 AM
Old 03-29-2001
This gets tricky because what if their login time is 2:59, and the logout time is 3:10. 3:10-2:59=? The shell doesn't know that you are trying to subtract times, it just sees numbers with a colon in the middle. A better way to do this might be to use the 'last' command, as one of the fields it provides is the total log in time.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Subing Variables with commands.

Hi, I'm back! Ok, I'm trying to use a variable with a value of a unix command. So when I try a=`ls`, then echo $a I get the correct answer. But when I try it with a pipe: a=`ls | wc -c`, then echo $a I get: filename: a: command not found I've tried so many ways I presumme it's the pipe... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Astudent
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Referencing variables in commands

The script I am writing must be able to run several commands (tar, gzip etc) on filenames that are supplied by variables. I am unsure as to what syntax is required/ideal when referencing variables in filenames. The following is a sample command that I would like the script to execute: tar cvf... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharley
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables in sed commands

Hi there, I need to be able to put the hostid of my box into a file (replacing the text "enter_hostid_here" so i tried sed -e 's/enter_hostid_here/`hostid`/g' inputfile > outputfile but it takes the `hostid` literally as text .....how can I get this info into the file (ideally in a single... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing commands in $variables.

Hi I'm trying to store commands in variables... like so.. # lastcmd=" $t1 | $t2 | $t3 | $t4 | sort | uniq" t1="sed -e 's/http:/<li><a href=\"http:/'" t2="sed -e 's/http:.*/&\">&<\/a>Web Link<br>/'" t3="sed -e 's/.*. mailto:/<li><a href=\"mailto:/'" t4="sed -e... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paulw0t
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

subtracting variables in ksh

hi all, how do i subract variables in shell ?? am trying to space out the headers and the output generated by the shell so they all line up : currently the output is like this : servers : users server1 : 10 latestServer : 50 so i thought... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables within awk/sed commands

Can I use my own variables within awk and sed for example: I've written a while loop with a counter $i and I want to use the value of $i within sed and awk to edit certain lines of text within a data file. I want to use : sed '1s/$/texthere/g' data.csv Like this: sed '$is/$/$age/g' data.csv... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mustaine85
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping through commands read as variables from file

This is going to be part of a longer script with more features, but I have boiled it down to the one thing that is presently stumping me. The goal is a script which checks for updates to web pages that can be run as a cron job. The script reads (from a tab-delim file) a URL, an MD5 digest, and an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fitzwilliam
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send Remote Commands via SSH with variables

Hi there I found the Command to send commands to other servers like: sv01> ssh user@sv02 'ps -ef' But I cant use Variables from a script i want to execute on another server like: sv01> ssh user@sv02 'cd $SCRIPTHOME' although the variable is set on sv01. How can I run commands on sv02 with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DarkSwiss
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables into SED or AWK and multiple commands

Hello I am hoping you may help. I am not sure how to go about this exactly, I know the tools but not sure how to make them work together. I have two SED commands that I would like to run in a shell script. I would like to take the manual input of a user (types in when prompted) to be used... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostincashe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put variables commands in config files?

Hi All, Seeking for your assistance on how to put in variables all the commands in /bin config files: /home/test/config_file/config.cfg cat /home/test/config_file/config.cfg ECHO=/bin/echo LS=/bin/lsMain script cat test.sh source=/home/test/config_file/config.cfg ECHO=$ECHO LS=$LS#i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: znesotomayor
3 Replies
xfs_logprint(8)                                               System Manager's Manual                                              xfs_logprint(8)

NAME
xfs_logprint - print the log of an XFS filesystem SYNOPSIS
xfs_logprint [ options ] device DESCRIPTION
xfs_logprint prints the log of an XFS filesystem (see xfs(5)). The device argument is the pathname of the partition or logical volume con- taining the filesystem. The device can be a regular file if the -f option is used. The contents of the filesystem remain undisturbed. There are two major modes of operation in xfs_logprint. One mode is better for filesystem operation debugging. It is called the transactional view and is enabled through the -t option. The transactional view prints only the portion of the log that pertains to recovery. In other words, it prints out complete transactions between the tail and the head. This view tries to display each transaction without regard to how they are split across log records. The second mode starts printing out information from the beginning of the log. Some error blocks might print out in the beginning because the last log record usually overlaps the oldest log record. A message is printed when the physical end of the log is reached and when the logical end of the log is reached. A log record view is displayed one record at a time. Transactions that span log records may not be decoded fully. OPTIONS
-b Extract and print buffer information. Only used in transactional view. -c Attempt to continue when an error is detected. -C filename Copy the log from the filesystem to the file filename. The log itself is not printed. -d Dump the log from front to end, printing where each log record is located on disk. -D Do not decode anything; just print data. -e Exit when an error is found in the log. Normally, xfs_logprint tries to continue and unwind from bad logs. However, sometimes it just dies in bad ways. Using this option prevents core dumps. -f Specifies that the filesystem image to be processed is stored in a regular file at device (see the mkfs.xfs(8) -d file option). This might happen if an image copy of a filesystem has been made into an ordinary file with xfs_copy(8). -l logdev External log device. Only for those filesystems which use an external log. -i Extract and print inode information. Only used in transactional view. -q Extract and print quota information. Only used in transactional view. -n Do not try and interpret log data; just interpret log header information. -o Also print buffer data in hex. Normally, buffer data is just decoded, so better information can be printed. -s start-block Override any notion of where to start printing. -t Print out the transactional view. SEE ALSO
mkfs.xfs(8), mount(8). xfs_logprint(8)