Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: formatting
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers formatting Post 17558 by xeron on Sunday 17th of March 2002 09:22:15 PM
Old 03-17-2002
formatting

is it possible to format a powerbook g4 mac? like totally erase the HD then pop in the Mac OS cd and it will boot up an install like windows or any linux?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

formatting

I've been asking on IRC channels but no one answers me, I need to format my hard drive, normally it's just format c: but c doesn't exist, how do I format when I have linux mandrake installed. Please reply to this quickly, I'm kinda in a rush :( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darryll777
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

formatting

Hi Again Guys , Please i installed linux RH 6.1 on Toshiba , 10G , RAM=128 , 600 MHZ . After i installed linux i got many error messages , seems it was not installed correctly , also when i finished installation it did not ask me for the 2nd installation CD , and when i logged as root , i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting

I have next part of script: for i in $LIST do echo "`date +"%H:%M:%S"` Converting $i ..."; mysql -uroot some -sABe "ALTER TABLE $i ENGINE=$ENGINE"; done I want to get following output formatting: "OK" must be one under another :) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting

I have file with different columns for ex. contents of file "txt" NAME AGE MARKS HARRY 23 89 TOM 12 67 BOB 23 11 and you see its not formatted.Now, I need the file "txt" to be formatted like COLUMN1 COLUMN2 COLUMN3 NAME AGE ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting

Is there a way to make a 2 column output out of the following : 1 2 3 4 5 6 Output : 1 2 3 4 5 6 Thanks, Prasanna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting of df -k

Hello, I am developing a platform Independant tool that should work for all major unix flavors outlined in this forum(Solaris,Linux, AIX, HPUX, SCO,BSD) Therefore, in order to cover all types of user community, I have deliberately posted the same message on every forum. Please do not think... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: darsh123
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help formatting

I need to format a txt file and convert it in CSV. Any "future" column is separated by a newline. FROM: XS1 1.43294 0.0 XS2 1.21824 0.0 TO: XS1,XS2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfreale
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting Help

Hi Guys, i have report that runs every 10 min and send the report of failed jobs to my mail. Currently i am using a command like this to send mail. mailx -t -s "FAILURE JOBS IN HYDRA $temp_date" addressee@domain.com < temp_file5 But i am getting mail in this format ....... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkrish
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting

Good day All, I have requirement where my input data looks like below ] Message5 Expecting Output as 04/MAR/2104 ||| 23:15:45 ||| servername ||| NOTIFICATION |||message1||||||userId|||||| Message5 I could not use space delimiter as in the messages I would be having them as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tomlight
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with formatting

Hi, I am new to UNIX and need your help in formatting the below input command to the desire output Input: CREATE UNIQUE INDEX XPKTABLE1 ( COL1, COL2 ) ON TABLE_NM; Output: COMMENT ON TABLE DB_NM.TABLE_NM AS 'PK=,COL1,COL2; '; In... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun2327
14 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. An executable should return 0 on success. It may also return 77 to cause the whole operation to terminate (executables later in lexical order will be skipped). COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ KERNEL-IMAGE The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release (if the former is missing), or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns 0 or 77, 0 is returned, and a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release /usr/lib/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 237 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)