Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching for a specific string in an argumnet Post 17131 by Jimbo on Monday 11th of March 2002 02:28:35 PM
Old 03-11-2002
If expr finds the desired string, it will test true:

Code:
if expr "$2" : ".*StringImLooking4" > /dev/null ; then
   echo 'its there'
fi

Or you could test the output of expr, which will be length of the located string. Note that I have to enclose this nested command within back-quotes:

Code:
if [ `expr "$2" : ".*StringImLookingFor"` -gt 0 ] ; then
   echo 'its there'
fi

Jimbo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for a specific phrase on Unix server

Is it possible to search all the file systems on a Unix server for a specific phrase? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmcaleer
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for data on a specific line numbers

Hi, I have a file on windows and have some unix utilitties available on windows. This file is very large and have over 5 million record. I am not able to open this file in Window Editor. I am trying to see bad data on a specific lines. I just have line numbers that has bad data. I need to see the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - searching for a specific string

ppl, this is my "file" with fields orderno orderdate orderdesc telno street city 1 01/04/2006 abc 123 100 tampa 2 01/04/2006 abc 123 100 tampa 3 01/04/2006 abc 123 100 tampa 4 01/04/2006 abc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manthasirisha
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a string from one file and searching the same string in other files

Hi, Need to extract a string from one file and search the same in other files. Ex: I have file1 of hundred lines with no delimiters not even space. I have 3 more files. I should get 1 to 10 characters say substring from each line of file1 and search that string in rest of the files and get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohancrr
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a specific line in a large file

Hey All Can any one please suggest the procedure to search a part of line in a very large file in which log entries are entered with very high speed. i have trued with grep and egrep grep 'text text text' <file-name> egrep 'text text text' <file-name> here 'text text text' is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NIMISH AGARWAL
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for specific filenames

Hi I would like to know how to search through a directory and pull out files that has a specific pattern in the filename. For example if the filename has "bsc" in it, then that file must be moved to another directory where I will perform some operations on it. I know grep can be used, but I'm... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching the required string and appending string to it.

Hi all, I have some data in the form of adc|nvhs|nahssn|njadnk|nkfds in the above data i need to write a script so thet it will append "|||" to the third occurnace in the string ..... the outout should look like adc|nvhs|nahssn||||njadnk|nkfds Thanks, Firestar. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding multiline record searching with specific pattern

Dear Experts, I need to extract specific records from one file which has multiline records. Input file pattern is: ============ aaaaaaaa bbbbbbbb asdf 1234 cccccccc dddddddd ============ aaaaaaaa bbbbbbbb qwer 2345 cccccccc dddddddd (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhiraj4mann
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for files with specific extensions

Hi, Could someone give me a hand with a search for files with two possible extensions, please. The requirement is simple - I need to issue a single ls command searching for files with the suffix of, say, *.txt and *.log. I've tried to use ls *.txt *.log which works if there are both... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neilmw
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a specific string in a file

Hi I am trying to search for a certain set of patterns within a file, and then perform other commands based on output. testfile contents: password requisite pam_cracklib.so lcredit=-1 ucredit=-1 ocredit=-1 script: D="dcredit=-1" if then echo $D exists else echo $D doesnt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bludhemn
8 Replies
test(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  test(1B)

NAME
test - condition evaluation command SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/test expression expression DESCRIPTION
test evaluates the expression expression and, if its value is true, sets 0 (true) exit status; otherwise, a non-zero (false) exit status is set. test also sets a non-zero exit status if there are no arguments. When permissions are tested, the effective user ID of the process is used. All operators, flags, and brackets (brackets used as shown in the second SYNOPSIS line) must be separate arguments to the test command; normally these items are separated by spaces. USAGE
Primitives The following primitives are used to construct expression: -r filename True if filename exists and is readable. -w filename True if filename exists and is writable. -x filename True if filename exists and is executable. -f filename True if filename exists and is a regular file. Alternatively, if /usr/bin/sh users specify /usr/ucb before /usr/bin in their PATH environment variable, then test will return true if filename exists and is (not-a-directory). This is also the default for /usr/bin/csh users. -d filename True if filename exists and is a directory. -c filename True if filename exists and is a character special file. -b filename True if filename exists and is a block special file. -p filename True if filename exists and is a named pipe (fifo). -u filename True if filename exists and its set-user- ID bit is set. -g filename True if filename exists and its set-group- ID bit is set. -k filename True if filename exists and its sticky bit is set. -s filename True if filename exists and has a size greater than zero. -t[ fildes ] True if the open file whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default) is associated with a terminal device. -z s1 True if the length of string s1 is zero. -n s1 True if the length of the string s1 is non-zero. s1 = s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are identical. s1 != s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are not identical. s1 True if s1 is not the null string. n1 -eq n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are algebraically equal. Any of the comparisons -ne, -gt, -ge, -lt, and -le may be used in place of -eq. Operators These primaries may be combined with the following operators: ! Unary negation operator. -a Binary and operator. -o Binary or operator (-a has higher precedence than -o). (expression) Parentheses for grouping. Notice also that parentheses are meaningful to the shell and, therefore, must be quoted. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
find(1), sh(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The not-a-directory alternative to the -f option is a transition aid for BSD applications and may not be supported in future releases. If you test a file you own (the -r , -w , or -x tests), but the permission tested does not have the owner bit set, a non-zero (false) exit status will be returned even though the file may have the group or other bit set for that permission. The correct exit status will be set if you are super-user. The = and != operators have a higher precedence than the -r through -n operators, and = and != always expect arguments; therefore, = and != cannot be used with the -r through -n operators. If more than one argument follows the -r through -n operators, only the first argument is examined; the others are ignored, unless a -a or a -o is the second argument. SunOS 5.10 1 Apr 1996 test(1B)