Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how can I delete lines without actually going into the file Post 17114 by seismic_willy on Monday 11th of March 2002 10:59:33 AM
Old 03-11-2002
You could try this in your script:

sed -e '1d
24d
35d' $file > $file.tmp
/usr/bin/mv $file.tmp $file
/usr/bin/rm $file.tmp

This will delete lines 1, 24, and 35 from your file. You'll never notice the temporary file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete all lines in file

how can i delete all lines in file by using "vi" ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: strok
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete lines from a file.

I have a file which has about 500K records and I need to delete about 50 records from the file. I know line numbers and am using sed '13456,13457,......d' filename > new file. It does not seem to be working. Any help will greatly appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracle8
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete the lines from file

i have two files & want to delete the lines from 2nd file which matches with 1st file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameersam
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete n last lines of a file

Hello!!! how can I delete the last n lines of a file??? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncatdesigner
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete lines in a file that have duplicates or derive the lines that aper once

Input: a b b c d d I need: a c I know how to get this (the lines that have duplicates) : b d sort file | uniq -d But i need opossite of this. I have searched the forum and other places as well, but have found solution for everything except this variant of the problem. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: necroman08
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How get only required lines & delete the rest of the lines in file

Hiiii I have a file which contains huge data as a.dat: PDE 1990 1 9 18 51 28.90 24.7500 95.2800 118.0 6.1 0.0 BURMA event name: 010990D time shift: 7.3000 half duration: 5.0000 latitude: 24.4200 longitude: 94.9500 depth: 129.6000 Mrr: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

In a huge file, Delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines

Hi All, I have a very huge file (4GB) which has duplicate lines. I want to delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines. Sort, uniq, awk '!x++' are not working as its running out of buffer space. I dont know if this works : I want to read each line of the File in a For Loop, and want to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnix
16 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete lines in a file

Hi This is a sample of my data file. ##field PH01000000 1 4869017 #PH01000000G0240 WWW278545G0240 P.he_model_v1.0 erine 119238 121805 . - . ID=PH01000000G0240;Description="zinc finger, C3HC4 type domain containing protein, expressed"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonia102
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete 40 lines after every 24 lines from a file

Hello, I have file of more than 10000 lines. I want to delete 40 lines after every 20 lines. e.g from a huge file, i want to delete line no from 34 - 74, then 94 - 134 etc and so on. Please let me know how i can do it. Best regards, (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delete Some Lines from File

Hi, I have a txt document having a format like this: DATA1 | DATA2 | DATA3 | 23-JAN-20 23:41:34 DATA1 | DATA2 | DATA3 | 23-JAN-20 23:41:32 DATA1 | DATA2 | DATA3 | 23-JAN-20 23:41:30 ... DATA1 | DATA2 | DATA3 | 23-JAN-20 22:35:31 DATA1 | DATA2 | DATA3 | 23-JAN-20 22:30:34 DATA1 | DATA2 |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
1 Replies
ln(1B)						     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						    ln(1B)

NAME
ln - make hard or symbolic links to files SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ln [-fs] filename [linkname] /usr/ucb/ln [-fs] pathname... directory DESCRIPTION
The /usr/ucb/ln utility creates an additional directory entry, called a link, to a file or directory. Any number of links can be assigned to a file. The number of links does not affect other file attributes such as size, protections, data, etc. filename is the name of the original file or directory. linkname is the new name to associate with the file or filename. If linkname is omitted, the last component of filename is used as the name of the link. If the last argument is the name of a directory, symbolic links are made in that directory for each pathname argument; /usr/ucb/ln uses the last component of each pathname as the name of each link in the named directory. A hard link (the default) is a standard directory entry just like the one made when the file was created. Hard links can only be made to existing files. Hard links cannot be made across file systems (disk partitions, mounted file systems). To remove a file, all hard links to it must be removed, including the name by which it was first created; removing the last hard link releases the inode associated with the file. A symbolic link, made with the -s option, is a special directory entry that points to another named file. Symbolic links can span file sys- tems and point to directories. In fact, you can create a symbolic link that points to a file that is currently absent from the file sys- tem; removing the file that it points to does not affect or alter the symbolic link itself. A symbolic link to a directory behaves differently than you might expect in certain cases. While an ls(1) on such a link displays the files in the pointed-to directory, an `ls -l' displays information about the link itself: example% /usr/ucb/ln -s dir link example% ls link file1 file2 file3 file4 example% ls -l link lrwxrwxrwx 1 user 7 Jan 11 23:27 link -> dir When you use cd(1) to change to a directory through a symbolic link, you wind up in the pointed-to location within the file system. This means that the parent of the new working directory is not the parent of the symbolic link, but rather, the parent of the pointed-to direc- tory. For instance, in the following case the final working directory is /usr and not /home/user/linktest. example% pwd /home/user/linktest example% /usr/ucb/ln -s /var/tmp symlink example% cd symlink example% cd .. example% pwd /usr C shell user's can avoid any resulting navigation problems by using the pushd and popd built-in commands instead of cd. OPTIONS
-f Force a hard link to a directory. This option is only available to the super-user, and should be used with extreme caution. -s Create a symbolic link or links. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of ln when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: The /usr/ucb/ln command The commands below illustrate the effects of the different forms of the /usr/ucb/ln command: example% /usr/ucb/ln file link example% ls -F file link file link example% /usr/ucb/ln -s file symlink example% ls -F file symlink file symlink@ example% ls -li file link symlink 10606 -rw-r--r-- 2 user 0 Jan 12 00:06 file 10606 -rw-r--r-- 2 user 0 Jan 12 00:06 link 10607 lrwxrwxrwx 1 user 4 Jan 12 00:06 symlink -> file example% /usr/ucb/ln -s nonesuch devoid example% ls -F devoid devoid@ example% cat devoid devoid: No such file or directory example% /usr/ucb/ln -s /proto/bin/* /tmp/bin example% ls -F /proto/bin /tmp/bin /proto/bin: x* y* z* /tmp/bin: x@ y@ z@ ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cp(1), ls(1), mv(1), rm(1), link(2), readlink(2), stat(2), symlink(2), attributes(5), largefile(5) NOTES
When the last argument is a directory, simple basenames should not be used for pathname arguments. If a basename is used, the resulting symbolic link points to itself: example% /usr/ucb/ln -s file /tmp example% ls -l /tmp/file lrwxrwxrwx 1 user 4 Jan 12 00:16 /tmp/file -> file example% cat /tmp/file /tmp/file: Too many levels of symbolic links To avoid this problem, use full pathnames, or prepend a reference to the PWD variable to files in the working directory: example% rm /tmp/file example% /usr/ucb/ln -s $PWD/file /tmp lrwxrwxrwx 1 user 4 Jan 12 00:16 /tmp/file -> /home/user/subdir/file SunOS 5.10 11 Mar 1994 ln(1B)