Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Running a program automatically Post 16859 by thehoghunter on Thursday 7th of March 2002 04:24:29 PM
Old 03-07-2002
If you are using any type of UNIX, then a cron job would be one answer. Check out the man page on crontab and at. Either one may be what you are looking for.
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running a program

Hi.Iam new to Linux.i got linux 7.0 pro and dont know how to run programs. I want a perl interputer and i know i installed one but how do i run it ??? Also how do i run a C or C++ editor ?and how do i run cron ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running a program on boot!

Hi there! I tried to search for something like this here but couldn't find anything. I need to run a specific program when linux starts up. I need to run it after the rp-pppoe has started because this prog needs internet connection. I start the program by entering ./dynix start (its in my home... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: D-Lexy
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running shell scripts automatically without using Batch or at commands

I have been trying to run a unix script which contains many sql statements.I need to run this script every monday morning. I tried to run on command prompt, it works fine. But while I run it via batch or at command., it returns with library module could not be loaded (libcompat.1.o could not be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritzwan0
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I make a program start up automatically after the computer restart/startup?

hi all How can I make a program start up automatically after the computer restart/startup in fedora? something like: ... Establish a shell then run some of command code. Thanks for Help!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: munna_dude
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatically Running Scripts

Can someone advise me how to get started automatically running scripts? I believe it has something to do with cron? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffreydavisjr
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Running More than One Program

Folks, I'm really new to scripting and was wondering if you could help me out. I have the following script that I inherited: #!/bin/bash # # Usage # From the agent directory: # ./run-any-agent AgentName # TAC_AGENT_HOME=`pwd` LIB=${TAC_AGENT_HOME}/lib CLASSPATH=.... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: DTriniWay
17 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search history without result running automatically

Hi I want to search the history of commands. for the last use of eg.$ service httpd reload $history = brings up the full list $!serv = runs service httpd reload, if thast was the last command used with the string $!?serv? = does the same as above I do not want to run the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dunsta
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running script automatically when threshold limit met in one of the field in oracle database

Hi Guys, Need you help in one point! I am working on one shell script which takes following steps : 1. Taking one query result from oracle database 2. Exporting that result to Xls file 3. Mailing that file to my own mail ID Now, I want to give a threshold limit to one of the column... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Agupte
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to keep program running after logout

Hello everyone. I am logged into a computer through ssh. I would like to run a program and have it keep running after I log out without screen (i forgot to run it). For example: ssh server user/comp~$ top & 12021 exit after that: ssh server user/comp~$ (something, maybe shell... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lepetal
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scheduled job not running automatically in crontab

i have a job scheduled in crontab. The problem is, it is not running automatically as per the time scheduled. But runs when executed manually. What would be the problem? Help me with this please. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santhosh CJ
6 Replies
queuedefs(4)							   File Formats 						      queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - queue description file for at, batch, and cron SYNOPSIS
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs DESCRIPTION
The queuedefs file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by cron(1M). Each non-comment line in this file describes one queue. The format of the lines are as follows: q.[njobj][nicen][nwaitw] The fields in this line are: q The name of the queue. a is the default queue for jobs started by at(1); b is the default queue for jobs started by batch (see at(1)); c is the default queue for jobs run from a crontab(1) file. njob The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in that queue; if more than njob jobs are ready to run, only the first njob jobs will be run, and the others will be run as jobs that are currently running terminate. The default value is 100. nice The nice(1) value to give to all jobs in that queue that are not run with a user ID of super-user. The default value is 2. nwait The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that job's queue, or because the system-wide limit of jobs executing has been reached. The default value is 60. Lines beginning with # are comments, and are ignored. EXAMPLES
Example 1 A sample file. # # a.4j1n b.2j2n90w This file specifies that the a queue, for at jobs, can have up to 4 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice value of 1. As no nwait value was given, if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. The b queue, for batch(1) jobs, can have up to 2 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice(1) value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, cron(1M) will wait 90 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously; they will be run with a nice value of 2, and if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. FILES
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs queue description file for at, batch, and cron. SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), nice(1), cron(1M) SunOS 5.11 1 Mar 1994 queuedefs(4)