Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Parameter List to Long
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parameter List to Long Post 16736 by lesstjm on Wednesday 6th of March 2002 10:19:09 AM
Old 03-06-2002
Parameter List to Long

I am trying to do a find file command on a directory and delete files older then 30 days and I am getting an error saying that the parameter list that I am passing to the rm command is to long. Here is my command:

find ~mydir/* -type f -mtime +$30 | xargs -i -exec rm -rf {} \;

ksh: /bin/find: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long.

What do I do to fix this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep 0403-027 The parameter list is too long.

Hi there I get this error message when I try to do a basic grep. Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong. Thanks 0403-027 The parameter list is too long. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: japada
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rdist help 'parameter list too long'

I am trying to use the rdis command to keep a DR server in sync with our production server. My problem is that one of my directories has over 8 thousand files in it (and growing buy 300 per month) and when I execute it, it complains about 'parameter list too long'. All of the files in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedrict
5 Replies

3. HP-UX

parameter list too long

Hi When i say ls * (HP-UX 11.11)in a particular directory it says sh: /usr/bin/ls: The parameter list is too long. Can somebody help me how to resolve this problem. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyanarayang
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parameter list too long

This is one of shell things I guess. I have a directory in a production server that contains about 20,000 files. It gets cleaned up every week and is kept in check that it does not get out of hand. Here is my problem. When I perform a ls -ltr, I get the listing. However should I parameterize... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

0403-027 The parameter list is too long.

hi when i ran the following command rm *_F i got this error 0403-027 The parameter list is too long. It shd remove 5000(around) files pls help me on this. why its throwing this error how to rectify this error (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: romiljain
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar: Parameter list is too long

Hi all, I have a lot of files in my audit log directory which i am trying to tar. However, i hit the below error: ksh: /usr/bin/tar: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long. Is there any work around to resolve this problem? I need to tar all the files up. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long

Hello All, We have a batch job that clean old records. This run a script to back up file then delete. Unfortunately, this job been failing lately. This is the error we received. "/usr/bin/compress: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long." I am not sure if the job failed since its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: juieshenkei
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

usr/bin/ls: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long

I ran this script in AIX 5L environment and getting an error usr/bin/ls: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long Our administrator had increased the maxium allowable size of the ARG/ENV list but it still doesn't work. I have tested the command in red below in the unix prompt and it works just... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanie123
13 Replies

9. AIX

0403-027 The parameter list is too long on AIX 5.3

Hi we are using AIX 5.3 64bit I have near about 79000 log file having naming convention like "IFTMBCSun Aug 14 07:45:00 PAKST 2011". This naming convention was created by a script error, now we need to rename these log file by removing extar spaces and (:) colon for that we wrote below script ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodhi1978
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting parameter list is too long in grep command

Hi i am getting below message while using grep command "The parameter list is too long" grep -i 919716499889 * ksh: /usr/bin/grep: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long. please let me know what changes i can do in this command (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
5 Replies
shell_builtins(1)                                                                                                                shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)