Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Performance
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Performance Post 16725 by iat00 on Wednesday 6th of March 2002 08:16:32 AM
Old 03-06-2002
Quote:
Originally posted by olso
Thanks for answering!

The problem is, that no tool shows the real CPU
Usage. Top shows the top 20 processes. But together
they cost about 5 % CPU Usage. If I sum all
processes, I get about 10%. Who uses the
rest?

prstat and other tools show the same.
Have you checked the process table? Perhaps you have many small processes caused by an endless loop like:

A user has /bin/sh as a login shell and wants start another after login and writes in his .profile the following line which can cause such as situation:
/bin/zsh --login

Check for similar things and small problems on your systemSmilie

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

performance

Hi, 1-in vmstat commande line, in reply, which column is the more important to look and verify if server is very slow ? 2-how can I see how many sessions are opened with the same login ? Many thanks before. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

performance

Hi, I have this on a AIX UNIX machine : ps aux| head -20 USER PID %CPU %MEM SZ RSS TTY STAT STIME TIME COMMAND root 516 23.7 0.0 12 15808 - A 19:38:15 903:13 wait root 774 23.7 0.0 12 15808 - A 19:38:15 902:13 wait root 1290 23.6 0.0 ... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I/O performance

i want to determine I/O performance of an executable, but iostat dont give correct results because the disk that i am writing to and reading from, are not physical disk of the host machine, instead of these local disks we are using a network storage. is there any standard way in unix to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

performance issue

Hi, on a linux server I have the following : vmstat 2 10 procs memory swap io system cpu r b w swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id 0 4 0 675236 39836 206060 1617660 3 3 3 6 8 7 1 1 ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Announcing collectl - new performance linux performance monitor

About 4 years ago I wrote this tool inspired by Rob Urban's collect tool for DEC's Tru64 Unix. What makes this tool as different as collect was in its day is its ability to run at a low overhead and collect tons of stuff. I've expanded the general concept and even include data not available in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MarkSeger
0 Replies

6. Solaris

best way and best performance

Hi all, I have two storadge 3510 Fc .. with 12 disks 146Gb ..total 1752Gb each storadge. I need to use about 1.4 Tb of it. and want RAID1 .. I need 13 mount points .. So question: for best performance and redundjancy how I must do it. create 13 logical drives on each stordge with same size... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samar
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Performance issue

hi I am having a performance issue with the following requirement i have to create a permutation and combination on a set of three files such that each record in each file is picked and the output is redirected in a specific format but it is taking around 70 odd hours to prepare a combination... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
7 Replies
suninstall(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    suninstall(1M)

NAME
suninstall - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
suninstall DESCRIPTION
install-solaris(1M) is now the preferred command for starting and restarting the Solaris Installation program. It should be used instead of suninstall. suninstall is symbolically linked to install-solaris. suninstall is a forms-based and graphical subsystem for installing the operating system. suninstall exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should only be invoked from there. Refer to the Solaris 10 Instal- lation Guide: Basic Installations for more details. suninstall allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. suninstall loads the software available on the installa- tion media. Refer to the Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations for disk space requirements. USAGE
Refer to the Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations for more information on the various menus and selections. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pkginfo(1), install(1M), install-solaris(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations NOTES
It is advisable to exit suninstall by means of the exit options in the suninstall menus. SunOS 5.10 9 Sep 2004 suninstall(1M)