Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: opening ports
Special Forums Cybersecurity opening ports Post 16606 by dryheat on Tuesday 5th of March 2002 10:28:09 AM
Old 03-05-2002
opening ports

I need to open a port in linux to allow a connect() from another box to succeed. I have the linux box listening on port 3000 on INADDR_ANY, and a Windows box does a connect to the IP of the linux box on that same port. The Linux box refuses the connection. I think it's because all the ports are closed except for the well-known ones. I want to open just port 3000 but I can't figure out how to do it. I don't want to associate any service or executable with the connection.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening files

I am very new to unix. I want to open a file and read one line in at a time. Can anybody help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saarshad001
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Opening CDE

I have installed JASS on one of my sun servers. I am now trying to open for CDE. For that I have done these steps: mv /etc/rc2.d/_S71rpc.JASS.* /etc/rc2.d/S71rpc mv /etc/rc2.d/_S99dtlogin.JASS* /etc/rc2.d/S99dtlogin but still no CDE. Any advice on this?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
3 Replies

3. AIX

Opening ports

Hi guys, I need to open ports on my AIX machine. The only way I know is to use service name to disable or enable ports which are used by the services. I found in /etc/services that the ports are unidentified. Btw, I want to open port number 11576 and 11577. Need help on this one. Thanks! :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raskita
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening TCP ports

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, but I'd be grateful if somebody could please help me. I'm trying to open ports 999, 1982 and 1983 but am not having much luck. I used iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 999 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A INPUT -i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehaapyappy
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

problem opening TCP ports

Please can somebody help me. I'm trying to open ports 999, 1982 and 1983 but am not having much luck. I used iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 999 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 1982 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehaapyappy
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Please help with opening a port??

Hello all, I need assistance... I need to open a port # 36677 and have it remain open even after a power cycle. I thought all I needed to do was add it to /etc/services. That was not it... Can someone please tell me how to do this. Thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: komputersman
6 Replies

7. Solaris

SMC not opening

I am working with Solaris 9.In that I am trying to open SMC(Solaris Management Console) but when I am clicking it,nothing is opening. Can any1 tell me why it is not opening??:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
1 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

Opening ports 8015/8016 restricted to selected IP addresses

Hello there I'm using a vendor-supplied application on RHEL4 that includes a built-in Tcl webserver. The webserver is working but I cannot access it from any computer other than the host workstation. I suspect that the firewall is blocking ports 8015/8016. I have two questions: 1. How do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: craig3201
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Who are all opening my datasets,?

Hi, I need a command/script, who opened my dataset, consider a situation like, if a user has opened the dataset few days back then, that command/script should list his/her id. I don't want audit on my dataset, i need only list of users who are using my dataset. Thank you. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbarao12
10 Replies
PUSH(8) 						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						   PUSH(8)

NAME
push -- fetch mail via POP SYNOPSIS
push [-5 | --krb5] [-v | --verbose] [-f | --fork] [-l | --leave] [--from] [-c | --count] [--headers=headers] [-p port-spec | --port=port-spec] po-box filename DESCRIPTION
push retrieves mail from the post office box po-box, and stores the mail in mbox format in filename. The po-box can have any of the follow- ing formats: 'hostname:username' 'po:hostname:username' 'username@hostname' 'po:username@hostname' 'hostname' 'po:username' If no username is specified, push assumes that it's the same as on the local machine; hostname defaults to the value of the MAILHOST environ- ment variable. Supported options: -5, --krb5 use Kerberos 5 (if compiled with support for Kerberos 5) -f, --fork fork before starting to delete messages -l, --leave don't delete fetched mail --from behave like from. -c, --count first print how many messages and bytes there are. --headers=headers a list of comma-separated headers that should get printed. -p port-spec, --port=port-spec use this port instead of the default 'kpop' or '1109'. The default is to first try Kerberos 5 authentication and then, if that fails, Kerberos 4. ENVIRONMENT
MAILHOST points to the post office, if no other hostname is specified. EXAMPLES
$ push cornfield:roosta ~/.emacs-mail-crash-box tries to fetch mail for the user roosta from the post office at ``cornfield'', and stores the mail in ~/.emacs-mail-crash-box (you are using Gnus, aren't you?) $ push --from -5 havregryn tries to fetch From: lines for current user at post office ``havregryn'' using Kerberos 5. SEE ALSO
from(1), pfrom(1), movemail(8), popper(8) HISTORY
push was written while waiting for movemail to finish getting the mail. HEIMDAL
May 31, 1998 HEIMDAL