Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Mac OS X/UNIX/Terminal Question Post 16569 by cejoe on Monday 4th of March 2002 07:08:53 PM
Old 03-04-2002
Note: using your mac as a mail server is usually not a good idea unless you know what youre doing.

However, you should be able to and recieve mail on your mac by editing the file /etc/hostconfig. Chage the line:

MAILSERVER=-NO-

to

MAILSERVER=-YES-

and reboot.

MacOSX is NOT FreeBSD BTW. The BSD kernel and most of the unix "cli tools" are synched to FreeBSD but OSX is significantly different in all other respects.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connecting to unix through hyper terminal - as a dumb terminal

I just changed from windows NT to XP and I am no longer able to connect to my unix system. I used to use hyper terminal -- which acts as dumb terminal to my main frame unix system. I think one of the options used to be "direct to comX". This option isn't listed now. I use a serial port and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: michelle
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running Terminal and/or X-Windows in Mac OS X

Quick question: When I load up Terminal or X-Windows on my Mac, and the prompt comes up...what folder am I starting in? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liquidcross
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Unix/Mac OS question

Hope someone can help give me a clue what is going on here, I work in a Macintosh computer lab in a college institution and currently we run Mac G4's with what is becoming dated software but everything has been fine until recently, when a new student purchased a new Mac G5 system in order to do her... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kd4rmm
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send email from unix terminal on Mac OS 10.x

Hello, I want to send email from unix terminal on Mac OS 10.x. I have 2 user accounts on the system - userOne and root. I tried sending an email from userOne to root by entering "mail root". It prompts to enter Subject and the content. It doesn't give any error message, but root doesn't get... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hypamw
0 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

New to Mac OS X Terminal

Hi everyone. I'm new to using the Terminal and was just wondering if anyone had a link to perhaps a list of commands. And tips on some useful websites to visit or books to read. Oh and is there a way to delete just part of the Terminal's history? If so what is the command? Thanks :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xsemperidem5
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create new users on my mac from the terminal

I finally got how to su - in my mac from the terminal. Now I would like to be able to add new users. useradd -m -d ..... doesn't seem to work. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bigmac18
1 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Unix Terminal question

Hi, I'm new here, but I have a quick small question. I'm sorry if it sounds stupid, but I'm new to the UNIX world after using VMS (or Windows) my entire life. I my Mac runs Leopard, and I was wondering; My friend me through Mac's "Terminal" you can create and program your own applications by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kcahintosh19
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

close a mac terminal

Is there a trick to closing a mac terminal with a command? I would think you could just type exit into your terminal but that doesn't work. I also tried quit and close just for the hell of it and that didn't work either. Does anyone know what the command is? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

The Terminal on Mac: Coding

So found this C code online and need to compile it in Terminal on Mac. Here is the code: #include <stdio.h> #include <math.h> int option; char q; int number; int currentsum; int value; void calc() { printf("\t\t\t\t\tBegin\n"); // says begin in top middle of screen ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1negroup
3 Replies

10. Open Source

The Terminal on Mac OS X

Does anyone know the differences in commands when it come to Linux and Mac OS X? I'm wanting to know if I use "this" command in Linux and It doesn't work in Mac then what command is equivalent to the one in Linux. Example Ctrl+Alt+f2 switches to (tty2) so what equivalent switches to ttys2 on Mac? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1negroup
13 Replies
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default::Plugins::CustomSource(3pm)	 Perl Programmers Reference Guide     CPANPLUS::Shell::Default::Plugins::CustomSource(3pm)

NAME
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default::Plugins::CustomSource - add custom sources to CPANPLUS SYNOPSIS
### elaborate help text CPAN Terminal> /? cs ### add a new custom source CPAN Terminal> /cs --add file:///path/to/releases ### list all your custom sources by CPAN Terminal> /cs --list ### display the contents of a custom source by URI or ID CPAN Terminal> /cs --contents file:///path/to/releases CPAN Terminal> /cs --contents 1 ### Update a custom source by URI or ID CPAN Terminal> /cs --update file:///path/to/releases CPAN Terminal> /cs --update 1 ### Remove a custom source by URI or ID CPAN Terminal> /cs --remove file:///path/to/releases CPAN Terminal> /cs --remove 1 ### Write an index file for a custom source, to share ### with 3rd parties or remote users CPAN Terminal> /cs --write file:///path/to/releases ### Make sure to save your sources when adding/removing ### sources, so your changes are reflected in the cache: CPAN Terminal> x DESCRIPTION
This is a "CPANPLUS::Shell::Default" plugin that can add custom sources to your CPANPLUS installation. This is a wrapper around the "custom module sources" code as outlined in "CUSTOM MODULE SOURCES" in CPANPLUS::Backend. This allows you to extend your index of available modules beyond what's available on "CPAN" with your own local distributions, or ones offered by third parties. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 CPANPLUS::Shell::Default::Plugins::CustomSource(3pm)