Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: substring of a variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting substring of a variable Post 16568 by thekid on Monday 4th of March 2002 06:01:16 PM
Old 03-04-2002
This is done in /bin/ksh on Dynix/ptx 4.4.8:

This isn't the prettiest command ever, but it works from what I can tell...

new_date="`echo $latest_bus_date |cut -c5-6``echo $latest_bus_date |cut -c7-8``echo $latest_bus_date |
cut -c3-4`"

echo $new_date
thekid

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I Substring ??

Hello everyone. I'm writing a script in UNIX. The purpose is to get the second character from a variable that stores the system year. This is the code: unix_year_yy=`date "+%g"` This will return "07" in variable unix_year_yy. How can I get the second character (7)?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rigger
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

substring

Dear All, i have a file that contains, FROM_DATE: 06-08-2007 00:00:00 TO_DATE: 06-08-2007 23:59:59 Total number of lines: 6874154 in another file,the contain is, FROM_DATE: 06-08-2007 00:00:00 Total number of lines: 874154 alltime i want to find the particular string... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: panknil
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to take the substring value into a variable

I am trying something like below. But unfortunately i am missing sthg here. $ HOSTEXT=hostname | awk '{print substr ($0,7)}' $ echo $HOSTEXT $ Suggestioins/Solutions will very much be appreciated. Thanks in advance, best-dyno. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: best-dyno
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with substring

I need to check the occurrence of one string within another. code ******************** if ;then do something done ******************** Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: w020637
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

substring

I have a string '<Hi>abc</Hi>" How to print "abc" (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting Substring

Hi, I hav a string lets say aa.txt:bb:txt length of the string can vary.. I have to keep the token inside a array and the delimiter is : plz send me the code (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deekay.p
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get substring from string variable

Hi Dears, How to use variable in string location of expression ${string:index:length} to get substring from string? I encounter error "bad substitution" when I use expression ${$var:0:5} to get first 5 characters from $var. Could you please help me out of this? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crest.boy
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substring

Hi, My requirement is to get the substring and then remove special character. Ex I have data like T_SYSTEM_XXXXX_YYYY_ZZZ I want to get XXXXXYYYYZZZ the part after T_SYSTEM is varying it might be XXX_YY or just XX can you tell me which all commands i have to use. i understand i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohammed_Tabish
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring from variable

Hi All, I'm facing issue wherein I have 2 character string like 'CR' and 'DR' and I want to extract just 1st character but am unable to do it. I tried below options but they are returning me 2nd character only, var="CR" echo ${var:1} returns just "R" echo ${var:0} returns "CR" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindshukla81
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace substring from a string variable

Hi, Wish to remove "DR-" from the string variable (var). var="DR-SERVER1" var=`echo $var | sed -e 's/DR-//g'` echo "$var" Expected Output: However, I get the below error: Can you please suggest. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies
shift(1)							   User Commands							  shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)