Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: man pages creating
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers man pages creating Post 16248 by Perderabo on Wednesday 27th of February 2002 09:39:59 AM
Old 02-27-2002
I never can remember how those man macros work either. What I do is look for a man page that I like, copy it, and modify the text to describe my program.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Man pages

Hello , I just installed openssh in my system . I actually tried to man sshd but it says no entry , though there is a man directory in the installation which have the man pages for sshd . Can anyone tell me how should i install these man pages . DP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man pages

Hi, I've written now a man pages, but I don't knwo how to get 'man' to view them. Where have I to put this files, which directories are allowed?? THX Bensky (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bensky
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Man pages query....

Hello,,, can I use any command in order to be able to see man pages,,, page per page instead for running too fast???:confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: spyros
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man pages

Hi folks, I want to know all the commands for which man pages are available. How do i get it? Cheers, Nisha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nisha
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man pages

When reading man pages, I notice that sometimes commands are follwed by a number enclosed in parenthesis. such as: mkdir calls the mkdir(2) system call. What exactly does this mean? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

6. SCO

man pages are gone. Anyone know how to resore it?

Not sure what I did but I can use man pages anymore here is what i get pictureb # man ls man: ls not found Any info will be appreciated. SCO 6 Openserver (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miles556
2 Replies

7. Fedora

why do we have .1 extension in MAN PAGES?

Hello sir, I am using FEDORA 9. I wanted to know why do we have ".1" extension in the archives of man pages. I know we are giving format. I want to know the importance or purpose of this format. Can you please tell me :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
2 Replies

8. Solaris

man pages issue

hi all i have installed veritas storage foundation 5.1 in my sun blade 150 which running with sun solaris 5.10. Veritas commands manual pages are located in /opt/VRTS/man/man1m directory. But if i give "man vxassist" It says "no manual entry for vxassist". How to resolve this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingston
2 Replies

9. Solaris

MAN PAGES

Hi everyone, I have a small query, in solaris the man pages get displayed on half of the terminal , can i get a full terminal or full screen display ?:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: M.Choudhury
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

Looking for some man pages.

Can anyone supply me with the man pages for: omnidatalist omnibarlist omnisap.exe I prefer the source man pages in nroff format. A clue about the software bundles which supply these man pages is fine as well. OS: HP-UX TIA (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb008
11 Replies
DH_INSTALLMAN(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLMAN(1)

NAME
dh_installman - install man pages into package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_installman [debhelperoptions] [manpage...] DESCRIPTION
dh_installman is a debhelper program that handles installing man pages into the correct locations in package build directories. You tell it what man pages go in your packages, and it figures out where to install them based on the section field in their .TH line. If you have a properly formatted .TH line, your man page will be installed into the right directory, with the right name (this includes proper handling of pages with a subsection, like 3perl, which are placed in man3, and given an extension of .3perl). If your .TH line is incorrect or missing, the program may guess wrong based on the file extension. It also supports translated man pages, by looking for extensions like .ll.8 and .ll_LL.8, or by use of the --language switch. If dh_installman seems to install a man page into the wrong section or with the wrong extension, this is because the man page has the wrong section listed in its .TH line. Edit the man page and correct the section, and dh_installman will follow suit. See man(7) for details about the .TH section. If dh_installman seems to install a man page into a directory like /usr/share/man/pl/man1/, that is because your program has a name like foo.pl, and dh_installman assumes that means it is translated into Polish. Use --language=C to avoid this. After the man page installation step, dh_installman will check to see if any of the man pages in the temporary directories of any of the packages it is acting on contain .so links. If so, it changes them to symlinks. Also, dh_installman will use man to guess the character encoding of each manual page and convert it to UTF-8. If the guesswork fails for some reason, you can override it using an encoding declaration. See manconv(1) for details. FILES
debian/package.manpages Lists man pages to be installed. OPTIONS
-A, --all Install all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. --language=ll Use this to specify that the man pages being acted on are written in the specified language. manpage ... Install these man pages into the first package acted on. (Or in all packages if -A is specified). NOTES
An older version of this program, dh_installmanpages(1), is still used by some packages, and so is still included in debhelper. It is, however, deprecated, due to its counterintuitive and inconsistent interface. Use this program instead. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 8.9.0ubuntu2.1 2012-06-12 DH_INSTALLMAN(1)