Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tcp/ip
Special Forums Cybersecurity Tcp/ip Post 16158 by Perderabo on Tuesday 26th of February 2002 10:03:50 AM
Old 02-26-2002
What an odd question. IPv4 uses 32 bit addresses. This results in 4,294,967,296 possible addresses, but some of these are broadcast , multicast, etc and cannot be assigned to a host. IPv6 uses 128 bit addresses. This results in 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 possible addresses, but again some of these are anycast, multicast, etc and cannot be assigned to a host.

With version 4, we are running out of addresses. But once version 6 is fully deployed, we should be ok for awhile. But if we run out again, we wouldn't just give up. We would simply develop IPv8 or whatever. For this reason, there is no maximum.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tcp wrapper

I installed tcp wrappers version 7.6 and modify my inetd.conf file from ftp stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/sbin/in.ftpd in.ftpd to ftp stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/local/bin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.ftpd -l created /etc/hosts.allow file and modify it... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
19 Replies

2. IP Networking

X.25 to TCP/IP conversion

Hello , I need to convert X.25 packets to IP packets how should i proceed .......... Please help me , regarding this matter or atleast suggest me some material which can be read regarding this . Bye (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjunath
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Tcp\ip

I have written a TCP/IP client and server program. The client sends a message to the server and then the server sends a file back to the client. The client reads the buffer and stores it another file in the client side. I need to know what are the various exceptions that I need to handle in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeshsu
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TCP/IP Not Entirely Loading

When our SCO UNIXWARE 7.4 System starts up we receive the following log indicating that its not loading successfully. I have pasted the txt file for review. Can someone please help? UX:S69inet: INFO: The following commands ran from /etc/init.d/inetinits This command will link the TCP/IP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yorgy
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

about TCP connection

Hi Experts, need help about release or refresh TCP Connection: i have the sample like below : application log connection: 0500 ( 192.168.0.1:36053) 00919 2007/05/10 23:30:25 112 13 2007/05/10 23:30:25 1969/12/31 17:00:00 0500 ( 192.168.0.1:36054) 00920 2007/05/10 23:30:26 000 00... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bucci
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCP/IP Source

can u tell me from where do i get TCP/IP Source code plz. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeep83rawat
2 Replies

7. Programming

Help with TCP Options in C

Hello everybody, It's me again, i need your help! I was almost finishing a program when it crashed, because of TCP segments with the TCP Options enabled. I am able to control every field of every packet i receive, except of those using TCP Options. Is there a way to determine if a packet is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zykl0n-B
0 Replies

8. Programming

SSL over TCP/IP

I am trying to develop a c++ application which will communicate with client through SSL(Not https).We are using self-signed certificates. I have installed openssl and boost library. I have tried some boost sample code also and its working. Boost C++ Libraries -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnbach
2 Replies

9. IP Networking

TCP/IP troubleshooting

Hello all, Can somebody please tell what is the best book out there that can help me learn TCP troubleshooting and understaning the TCP options like window scaling, large receive offload? I would like to understand how all the TCP tuning parameters function. Is there a book out there that can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Too much TCP retransmitted and TCP duplicate on server Oracle Solaris 10

I have problem with oracle solaris 10 running on oracle sparc T4-2 server. Os information: 5.10 Generic_150400-03 sun4v sparc sun4v Output from tcpstat.d script TCP bytes: out outRetrans in inDup inUnorder 6833763 7300 98884 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: insatiable1610
2 Replies
setsourcefilter(3N)													       setsourcefilter(3N)

NAME
setsourcefilter() - set IP multicast source filter state SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
This function sets the multicast source filter state for an IPv4 or IPv6 multicast group on a given socket. This function can be used to join a multicast group by specifying a filter mode of (with or without a source list), or by specifying a filter mode of with a non-empty source list. If the multicast group is already joined, this function replaces the existing filter mode and source list with the ones pro- vided. This function can be used to leave a multicast group by specifying a filter mode of and an empty source list. Parameters s Specifies the descriptor identifying the socket. The socket address family must be or and the socket type must be interface Holds the interface index of a local interface, or zero. If set to zero, the system chooses a multicast group by matching the multicast address only; or when joining a group, the system chooses the interface that datagrams for the group would be sent from, based on the routing configuration. group Points to either a sockaddr_in structure (for IPv4) or a sockaddr_in6 structure (for IPv6) that holds the IP multicast address of the group. grouplen Holds the size of the structure pointed to by the group argument. fmode Identifies the filter mode. The value of this field must be either or which are defined in numsrc Holds the number of source addresses in the slist array. slist Points to an array of sockaddr_storage structures containing the IP addresses to include or exclude depending on the filter mode. The sockaddr_storage structures will contain either a sockaddr_in structure (for IPv4 addresses) or a sockaddr_in6 structure (for IPv6 addresses, including IPv4-mapped IPv6 addresses); the address family must match that of the group argument. RETURN VALUES
returns the following values: Successful completion. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If fails, is set to one of the following values: The argument s is not a valid descriptor. This function is not supported by the socket type. Insufficient memory is available for internal system data structures. numsrc exceeds the maximum number of sources allowed, as determined by the ndd tunable parameters and (for IPv4), or and (for IPv6). The address family of the group argument is not supported. Trying to leave an unjoined group. group does not hold an IP multicast address; or slist contains an invalid source address; or the specified filter mode is not valid; or interface contains an invalid interface index; or grouplen is not valid; or the address family of a source address in the slist argument does not match the address family of the group argument. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the IETF. SEE ALSO
ndd(1M), socket(2), getipv4sourcefilter(3N), getsourcefilter(3N), if_nameindex(3N), setipv4sourcefilter(3N), ip(7P), ip6(7P). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
RFC 3678 setsourcefilter(3N)