Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SSH and command logging
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users SSH and command logging Post 16040 by #1freebsddude on Sunday 24th of February 2002 03:14:17 PM
Old 02-24-2002
You did not mention which ssh you are using ? your OS ? please always provide as many details as possible without sharing any personal info. Here is something I got from usenet (you possibly could log every command by changing values of SyslogFacility and LogLevel). Remember, since we dont know what packages you are using your files may be in different directories :

I log sshd session in a file called /var/log/sshd.log and here's how I do
it:
1. touch /var/log/sshd.log

2. edit your /etc/syslog.conf and add the lines
!sshd
*.* /var/log/sshd.log

3. killall -HUP syslogd

The sshd will now log stuff into /var/log/sshd.log. Edit your
/etc/ssh/sshd_config file to determine what gets logged. By default, the following lines are in sshd_config for sylog logging:

SyslogFacility AUTH
LogLevel INFO

Change as necessary, more details are in the sshd manpage.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is command for logging?

Hi, I am trying to recollect the command used to log a file. We use this command just before starting, say, installation. At the end you get a file capturing the series of commands you used during the course of time and sytems response. Could anybody please help. Thanks, Dasa (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtamminx
3 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

SSH Logging?

Does anybody know if MacOS X (10.3.X) is capable of logging ssh access? I want to be able to see who has logged into my system via SSH, similar to the way Apache or FTP logs access (/private/var/logs/). The only thing that I am finding right now is the the initiation of a PID in the "system.log",... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: esser
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What change in freeBSD OS to allow root logging using ssh?

Hi everybody, ] I would like to ask just simpe and short question. I am using freeBSD 6.0 and Debian Sarge. From Debian console I can log as root using ssh to bsd mashine but not vice versa. When I say in bsd console su I got sorry output, it does not allow me to su to root when I am logged... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100days
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ssh not logging users

We installed ssh on our AIX 5.3 box. The issue we are facing is that we dont get the users listed when we use 'w' or 'who'. After going through google without success, checked the www.openssh.org site. The FAQ section posted the solution that - How do I go about this? Has anyone faced an issue... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

difference between logging into unix through f-secure ssh client and telnet

hi, what is the difference between logging into unix through f-secure ssh client and telnet is there any more security check is involved can any one explain thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

using SSH with my script and avoid logging in manually

Hi Guys. I have 3 variables $HOST $Username $Password I want to connect to a remote server using SFTP. usr/bin/sftp -o Cipher=blowfish $HostWhere do I put in the options for the username and pwd??? I have tried different ways and nothing works. It keeps coming back and promting me. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramangill
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatic logging (capture screen output) of telnet/ssh sessions on a Solaris node

Hi I am working in Solaris 10 and I want to monitor logs for every telnet/ssh session that tries to connect to the server. I need these logs to be generated in a file that I can fetch using ftp. I am a new user and a stepwise detail will be great BR saGGee (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saggee
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging Remote SSH command (cannot log a java output)

Hi all I'm creating a script that runs a few commands on some boxes and everything can be logged EXCEPT the java -version command, there doesn't seem to be any output... Can anyone help explain why this does not work? Do I need to do something extra to append the output from the java... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command Logging

I searched the forums for command logging and the user "Driver" seemed to provide a script for logging shell commands with related info like date and time. The subject was "logging command invocations -cmdlog" . I would be interested in this script. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: starcraft
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ssh,tar and logging

Hi, I'm successfully written a script which tar a directory and ssh's it over a remote server tar cfv - $SDIR | ssh $RHOST "cat > $DDIR/backup.$BKPEXT.tar" However, Im unable to log the activity to a file. i.e for example if I do tar cfv - $SDIR | ssh $RHOST "cat >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
1 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id - install your public key in a remote machine's authorized_keys SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-i [identity_file]] [user@]machine DESCRIPTION
ssh-copy-id is a script that uses ssh to log into a remote machine (presumably using a login password, so password authentication should be enabled, unless you've done some clever use of multiple identities) It also changes the permissions of the remote user's home, ~/.ssh, and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys to remove group writability (which would oth- erwise prevent you from logging in, if the remote sshd has StrictModes set in its configuration). If the -i option is given then the identity file (defaults to ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) is used, regardless of whether there are any keys in your ssh-agent. Otherwise, if this: ssh-add -L provides any output, it uses that in preference to the identity file. If the -i option is used, or the ssh-add produced no output, then it uses the contents of the identity file. Once it has one or more fin- gerprints (by whatever means) it uses ssh to append them to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine (creating the file, and directory, if necessary) SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-agent(1), sshd(8) OpenSSH 14 November 1999 SSH-COPY-ID(1)