Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pipe help
Top Forums Programming pipe help Post 15939 by bb666 on Thursday 21st of February 2002 03:33:37 PM
Old 02-21-2002
pipe help

i made a lot of processes. here is the code:

main()
{
printf("\nEnter K="); scanf("%d",&k);
printf("Enter L="); scanf("%d",&l);
printf("\nFather id=%d\n",getpid());
x=0;
makechild();
sleep(2);
return 1;
}
int makechild()
{
for(q=1;q<=k;q++)
{
if(f=fork())
{
}
else
{
printf("\nChild id=%d owner=%d\n",getpid(),getppid());
++x;
if(x<l) makechild();
sleep(1);
exit(0);
}
}
return;
}

it basically creates a tree of processes over L rows, each process having K sons.

now, my question is: how can i make these processes comunicate between them?
i figured i would need a lot of pipes but i can't seem to implement them and i'm getting sick with 'broken pipe' error.
can anyone give me some advice?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe | question

how do you pipe the results to next statement as argument? somecommand | grep $result somefile how do you reference $result with?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Broken Pipe

Hi I tried to open the man page of sh and piped to `pg`. Normally while reading a file page by page using `pg`, if we wanna quit at the middle of file, we give "q" near the colon mode. Ex1: $cat file1 | pg hi how r u : (page1) now press "return key", it will go to next page yes i ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Broken Pipe

Hi I tried to open the man page of sh and piped to `pg`. Normally while reading a file page by page using `pg`, if we wanna quit at the middle of file, we give "q" near the colon mode. Ex1: $cat file1 | pg hi how r u : (page1) now press "return key", it will go to next page yes i ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
3 Replies

4. Programming

Pipe error

hi guys, o have a big error in this program but i cant solve someone ?! #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <string.h> int main(int argc, char *argv){ int cont = 2, posicao; char geraArquivo= "|cat>>", espaco=" "; char nomeArquivo, comando,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: beandj
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I use pipe

Hi, guys: I am working on my shell using c. How can I use pipe to implement the following? ls -l 1>> | grep hellp 1<< 2>> | less 2<< (the output of ls goes to grep, and the output of grep goes to less) Thanks Please use and tags when posting code, data or logs etc. to preserve... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomlee
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe with Broken Pipe

Hi All , Is there any way to replace the pipe ( | ) with the broken pipe (0xA6) in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saj
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I use pipe in perl

I want to do the following in perl: print $output | grep ' something' | awk '{print $2}'; I know there is system(); but it does not behave the way I was expecting it in perl. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
2 Replies

8. Programming

pipe() - Sincronization

Hi guys. I've a problem with pipes, I'm trying to make a program that can create a child process and they must generate the folowing output: Ping ... Pong Ping ... Pong Ping ... Pong I want syncronize the output whithout using the semephores, can anyone help me? Thanks in advance. /** *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pharaoh
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use an input pipe ?

Hi all, I would like to use properly an input pipe, like this : cat myFile.txt | myCommand.shI always find this solution : while read line; do ...; donebut I have a great lost of performance ! On a big file, with a simple grep, I can spend 2400 times more time ! oO (from 0,023sec to 1m)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LeNouveau
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file?

Hi guys, I need to know how i can ignore Pipe '|' if Pipe is coming as a column in Pipe delimited file for eg: file 1: xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|zzz|12... using below awk command awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|" } print $3 i would get xyz But i want as : xyz|zzz to consider as whole column... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies
scanf(3int)															       scanf(3int)

Name
       scanf, fscanf, sscanf - convert formatted input

Syntax
       #include <stdio.h>

int scanf( format [, pointer ] ...  )
       char *format;

int fscanf( stream, format [, pointer ] ...  )
       FILE *stream;
       char *format;

int sscanf( s, format [, pointer ] ...  )
       char *s, *format;

Description
       The  international functions and are similar to the standard I/O functions. The difference is that the international functions allow you to
       use the %digit$ conversion character in place of the I% character you use in the standard I/O functions. The digit is  a  decimal  digit  n
       from 1 to 9.  The international functions apply conversions to the n th argument in the argument list, rather than to the next unused argu-
       ment.

You can use % conversion character in the international functions.  However, you cannot mix the % conversion  character	with  the  %digit$
       conversion character in a single call.

In  all	cases,	uses the radix character and collating sequence that is defined by the last successful call to category or If the radix or
       collating sequence is undefined, the function uses the C locale definitions.

International Environment
       LC_COLLATE     Contains the user requirements for language, territory, and codeset for the character collation format.  affects the  behav-
		      ior  of regular expressions and the string collation functions in If is not defined in the current environment, provides the
		      necessary default.

LC_NUMERIC     If this environment is set and valid, uses the international language database named in the definition  to  determine  radix
		      character rules.

LANG	      If  this environment variable is set and valid uses the international language database named in the definition to determine
		      collation and character classification rules.  If or is defined,	their definitions supersede the definition of LANG.

Examples
       The following shows an example of using the function:
       scanf("%2$s %1$d", integer, string)
       If the input is `` january 9 '', the function assigns 9 to and ``january'' to

Return Values
       The function returns the number of successfully matched and assigned input fields.  This number can be  zero  if  the  function	encounters
       invalid input characters, as specified by the conversion specification, before it can assign input characters.

If  the	input ends before the first conflict or conversion, returns EOF.  These functions return EOF on end of input and a short count for
       missing or invalid data items.

Environment
       In POSIX mode, the E, F, and X formats are treated the same as the e, f, and x formats, respectively;  otherwise,  the  upper-case  formats
       expect double, double, and long arguments, respectively.

See Also
       intro(3int), setlocale(3), strtod(3), strtol(3), printf(3int), getc(3s), printf(3s), scanf(3s)
       Guide to Developing International Software

scanf(3int)