Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vmstats interpreting
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users vmstats interpreting Post 15917 by MizzGail on Thursday 21st of February 2002 10:46:38 AM
Old 02-21-2002
Data vmstats interpreting

We are having performance issues on an alpha4100 server.
I can't paste a snapshot of my vmstat in here, but...

We have 4gb of memory. The actual memory stays consistant around 306k. Free is dropping into the 120 area. Wire is around 206k consistantly. consistantly.
My manual says that unix should be intelligent enough not to run out of memory.
We have 0% idle cpu. some page out.
Our online transacations seem to be "not too bad" but many of the things running at the command level are poor.
If the free memory is dropping this low and we have 4gb of memory, shouldnt the used be going up proportionally?
would this be indicative of a memory leak?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Interpreting netstat -s

Are there any references I can look up for to interprete "netstat -s", especially those on TCP statistics. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaniyoer
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shellscript Interpreting

I am trying to interpret the following shellscript and am having a very difficult time. Could one of you Unix gurus pleasssseeee help me out? You just won't know how much of a life saver you would be for me. PN=`basename "$0"` # Program name VER=`echo '$Revision: 1.2 $' | cut -d' ' -f2` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ann
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

interpreting email log: ndel=

My user claims that some of her email disappeared. I went through the mail log and it seems that she deleted the messages herself from home via webmail. Here are the entries in the mail log: Nov 25 21:27:38 wp5 ipop3d: Login user=somebody@somewhere.com... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mstarcom
1 Replies

4. Solaris

solaris way if interpreting devices?

Hi all, I wanted to know the solaris way of interpreting devices? I mean i understand all those c0t0....stuff but when i start mounting devices , most of the times i get either a I/O error or it says that the directory does not exist. eg: I have a external usb hub to which i have connected... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

5. Linux

Interpreting the encrypted shadow password?

We are currently using a script to copy the same encrypted password between our HP-UX and Solaris servers editing the trusted and shadow files directly. The encrypted password is only 13 characters long on both servers and decrypts the same way. Is there a way to copy this same string to Linux... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

interpreting netstat output

hi all, when I run- wcars1j5#netstat -an | grep 8090 127.0.0.1.8090 *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN wcars1j5# 1. does this mean that no one is connected to this port? Regards, akash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash_mahakode
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help interpreting a function

Hi, i was reading through a sample coding and came across this function, can anyone pls help to interpret the code for me. Thank alot find_lines() { res=-1 if ; then grep -i "$@" $FILENAME res=$? fi return $res } (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheranime
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Interpreting xntpdc output.

Hi. I wonder what the equal sign in front of the answer means. I have read man pages and googled but found no answer. xntpdc -p =15.5.64.3 15.5.2.51 3 512 377 0.02060 0.057426 0.04965Thanks. Jan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vettec3
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interpreting multiple values from a variable

Hi, I am writing a shell script which will check the status of a resource in a cluster and then display nicely to a user running the script at command line. Basically the script runs a status command and then pulls certain keywords from the return and then should display a concise status. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris01010
5 Replies
PASTE(1)							   User Commands							  PASTE(1)

NAME
paste - merge lines of files SYNOPSIS
paste [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Write lines consisting of the sequentially corresponding lines from each FILE, separated by TABs, to standard output. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -d, --delimiters=LIST reuse characters from LIST instead of TABs -s, --serial paste one file at a time instead of in parallel --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by David M. Ihnat and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report paste bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report paste translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for paste is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and paste programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'paste invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.5 February 2011 PASTE(1)