Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sendmail error :-(
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sendmail error :-( Post 15781 by thehoghunter on Tuesday 19th of February 2002 11:26:36 AM
Old 02-19-2002
Sendmail error (found on Solaris 7 common error messages):
550 variable... User unknown
============================
This sendmail(1M) message indicates that the intended recipient, specified by the address portion before the @ (at-sign), could not be located on the destination host machine.

Check the email address and try again, perhaps with slightly different spelling. If this doesn't work, contact the intended recipient and ask for a proper address.

For information on how sendmail works, see the Mail Administration Guide.
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting sendmail: error

I'm a newbie trying to update an old sendmail 8.6 to 8.12.3 ftp'ed sendmail.org and got sendmail.8.12.3.tar.gz file size matches but when i: tar xvf sendmail.8.12.3.tar.gz i get: tar: directory checksum error tried getting others... ie. 8.12.2... ftp'ed using binary and saved in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sphiengollie
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail error

I have faced the following error : Feb 8 11:56:10 test sendmail: unable to qualify my own domain name (test) -- using short name I searched the forum and tested the required in the posts , but it doesn't work ... I have changed the IP and local host in /etc/hosts to be as follows : ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atiato
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Whe trying to start sendmail i getting following error

Hi expert , When i trying to start sendmail i getting the following error : pls help me # ./sendmail start # 451 4.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 77: fileclass: cannot open /etc/mail/local-host-names: World writable directory 451 4.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 472: fileclass: cannot... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saisivakumar
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Too many hops error in sendmail

I am running SCO openserver 6 with sendmail as my mta I have a customer that sends me mail and occasionally some of them get bounced by my machine with a too many hops error. the header shows that it hops around their servers several times before getting to me and I know this is something that they... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: garycrow
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting some error periodically - sendmail

Hi all, When ever i open unix, periodically after every 3 minutes(approximately) i get the below error. "Dec 29 23:56:01 "domain name" sendmail: unable to qualify my own domain name ("domain name") -- using short name". This is interrupting me while writing a program. Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshbharadwaj
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Sendmail error delaying relay

When I try to send mail, sendmail delays a lot. After monitoring syslog, I noticed that sendmail starts with this first message... waits a minute and gives the second message... waits another minute and then sends off the email. How do I correct this in sendmail or completly disable it. I'm sending... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
0 Replies

7. AIX

sendmail error aix 5.2

Hi, i'm having this error in my aix development server... i dont know what to do, anyone can helpme out with this??? I'll be so gratefull. ---- start of message Message from syslogd@aixdes1 at Mon Aug 9 08:36:03 2010 ... aixdes1 mail:crit sendmail: My unqualified host name (aixdes1)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fdeivis
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

sendmail error

Hi, Need help here in sendmail error encountered # tail /var/log/maillog Aug 18 16:36:01 dot-123-my-server sendmail: q7IKa1GJ001123: to=<munin@dot-123-my-server>, ctladdr=<munin@dot-123-my-server> (101/102), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=30898, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent Aug... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edwin rosales
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail error message

Hi i am having a probleme with my sendmail server. using it as a mta to send out email. keem on getting this error message back. ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <XXX@XXXX.co.za> (reason: 554 Denied (Mode: normal)) ----- Transcript of session... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sakie
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Sendmail Error

Hello, we have a mailserver named vision.mailhost.com 192.168.10.10 ( solaris 10) We have an test server named visionway 192.168.10.5 ( solaris 10) we want to run a cron job on test server and send an email if the cronjob fails Question is how does the test server sendmail know the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nimika
1 Replies
MAILER.CONF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    MAILER.CONF(5)

NAME
mailer.conf -- configuration file for mailwrapper(8) DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/mailer.conf contains a series of lines of the form name program [arguments ...] The first word of each line is the name of a program invoking mailwrapper(8). (For example, on a typical system /usr/sbin/sendmail would be a symbolic link to mailwrapper(8), as would newaliases(1) and mailq(1). Thus, name might be ``sendmail'' or ``newaliases'' etc.) The second word of each line is the name of the program to actually execute when the first name is invoked. The further arguments, if any, are passed to the program, followed by the arguments mailwrapper(8) was called with. The file may also contain comment lines, denoted by a '#' mark in the first column of any line. The default mailer is postfix(1), which will also start by default (unless specifically disabled via an rc.conf(5) setting) so that locally generated mail can be delivered, if the ``sendmail'' setting in /etc/mailer.conf is set to ``/usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail''. FILES
/etc/mailer.conf EXAMPLES
This example shows how to set up mailer.conf to invoke the postfix(1) program: sendmail /usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail mailq /usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail newaliases /usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail This example shows the use of the mini-sendmail package from pkgsrc in place of postfix(1): # Send outgoing mail to a smart relay using mini-sendmail sendmail /usr/pkg/sbin/mini-sendmail -srelayhost send-mail /usr/pkg/sbin/mini-sendmail -srelayhost Note the use of additional arguments. SEE ALSO
mail(1), mailq(1), newaliases(1), postfix(1), mailwrapper(8) pkgsrc/mail/sendmail, pkgsrc/mail/mini_sendmail HISTORY
mailer.conf appeared in NetBSD 1.4. AUTHORS
Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> BUGS
The entire reason this program exists is a crock. Instead, a command for how to submit mail should be standardized, and all the ``behave differently if invoked with a different name'' behavior of things like mailq(1) should go away. BSD
April 10, 2010 BSD