Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tape drive install
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Tape drive install Post 15763 by kikkin on Tuesday 19th of February 2002 09:47:21 AM
Old 02-19-2002
Well I finally got fed up with it and desided to go back to the frist step. I opend the server and verified all the phisical connections.
I found out that the tape drive was actually connected to the host 0 and bus 1 and the jumper on the tape drive was set to id1.
and I was setting it up at mkdev tape as on host 0 bus 0 id 1.
Well after actually installing it to the propper settings it still didnt work, till I noticed at boot that the server was recognising the tape drive at id 2. That was odd because I verified the jumper and it was on id 1. so to make a long story short I just set the parameter hots 0 moved the cable to bus 0 and set the tape id to 2 and it worked.

Thanks for the advice, I gues I learn more the hard way.
kikkin

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

How do l install Travan Tape drive 20/40 DAT on Redhat 8.0

Hi, Will someone help in giving the clue to installating Travan Tape drive on Redhat 8.0 Kayode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kayode
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tape drive

Hi, I need to restore my tape backup, when I type "tape status" it gives; status : ready beginning-of-tape write-protected soft errors : 0 hard errors : 0 underruns : 3 but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisevA3
4 Replies

3. Solaris

how to install tape drive on sun ver 5.9

hi, need your help mentors I have external SCSI tape DRIVE COmpaq 15/30 GB DLT and I dont know how to install these and how to view if it is working. I'm also have another disk taken form my old sun and I want to use these also but my problem how I able to mount. hope anyone can help me ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
9 Replies

4. AIX

Tape Drive

I have tape drive in one Lpar. when i saw that time tape is in defined state. After that i deleted the tape drive using the rmdev -R command. Then fired the cfgmgr -v command. But I am not getting the tape drive. Now the drive is even not in defined state also. It is not shown the tape drive. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Help with tape drive

Hey folks, Linux admin here, forced to use Opensolaris to try to use ufsdump/ufsrestore to get some data of some old tapes. I've got Opensolaris 2009.06 on x86 and a Sony SDX-700V. As a "control" experiment, I booted the system with a Linux live CD and the tape drive worked perfectly. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eddy_sysad
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 install dvd drive boots, but not recoginized by install process

I am trying to build a Sun Ultra 10 with solaris 10. This computer is one of a collection that was donated to the non-profic company I work for. All media was wiped before I recieved them, so I am starting from stratch. I downloaded the Solaris 10 ISO and burned a DVD. The computer came with a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwillhight
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

TAPE drive

I have used ioscan -fnC tape and the system identified the tape drive. what is the command to show a listing of what is on the tape? I have used ls /dev/rmt/rmt0 to no avail. can anyone help? Thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Randydog
10 Replies

8. Solaris

Install ext DLT Sun Tape drive on V445 Solaris 10

I have a SunFire V445 running Solaris 10 and am adding a Sun DLT tape drive. From the OK prompt the probe-scsi-all does see the drive and it is the proper target of 4. When I do the boot -- -r it does build the /dev/rmt directories correctly and the links to /devices appear correct as well. When I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chastings
8 Replies
mt(1)								   User Commands							     mt(1)

NAME
mt - magnetic tape control SYNOPSIS
mt [-f tapename] command... [count] DESCRIPTION
The mt utility sends commands to a magnetic tape drive. If -f tapename is not specified, the environment variable TAPE is used. If TAPE does not exist, mt uses the device /dev/rmt/0n. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -f tapename Specifies the raw tape device. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: count The number of times that the requested operation is to be performed. By default, mt performs command once. Multiple opera- tions of command may be performed by specifying count. command Available commands that can be sent to a magnetic tape drive. Only as many characters as are required to uniquely identify a command need be specified. eof Writes count EOF marks at the current position on the tape. weof fsf Forward spaces over count EOF marks. The tape is positioned on the first block of the file. fsr Forward spaces count records. bsf Back spaces over count EOF marks. The tape is positioned on the beginning-of-tape side of the EOF mark. bsr Back spaces count records. nbsf Back spaces count files. The tape is positioned on the first block of the file. This is equivalent to count+1 bsf's followed by one fsf. asf Specifies absolute space to count file number. This is equivalent to a rewind followed by a fsf count. If count is specified with any of the following commands, the count is ignored and the command is performed only once. eom Spaces to the end of recorded media on the tape. This is useful for appending files onto previously written tapes. rewind Rewinds the tape. offline Rewinds the tape and, if appropriate, takes the drive unit off-line by unloading the tape. rewoffl status Prints status information about the tape unit. retension Rewinds the cartridge tape completely, then winds it forward to the end of the reel and back to beginning- of-tape to smooth out tape tension. reserve Allows the tape drive to remain reserved after closing the device. The drive must then be explicitly released. release Re-establishes the default behavior of releasing at close. forcereserve Breaks the reservation of the tape drive held by another host and then reserves the tape drive. This com- mand can be executed only with super-user privileges. erase Erases the entire tape. Caution: Some tape drives have option settings where only portions of the tape may be erased. Be sure to select the correct setting to erase the whole tape. Erasing a tape may take a long time depending on the device and/or tape. Refer to the device specific manual for time details. config Reads the drives current configuration from the driver and displays it in st.conf format. See st(7D) for definition of fields and there meanings. EXIT STATUS
0 All operations were successful. 1 Command was unrecognized or mt was unable to open the specified tape drive. 2 An operation failed. FILES
/dev/rmt/* magnetic tape interface ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
tar(1), tcopy(1), ar.h(3HEAD), environ(4), attributes(5), mtio( 7I), st(7D) BUGS
Not all devices support all options. Some options are hardware-dependent. Refer to the corresponding device manual page. mt is architecture sensitive. Heterogeneous operation (that is, SPARC to x86 or the reverse) is not supported. SunOS 5.10 1 Sep 2004 mt(1)