Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: network card
Special Forums IP Networking network card Post 1576 by Neo on Thursday 15th of March 2001 10:31:29 PM
Old 03-15-2001
You might just be able to swap the cards without any changes to the kernel. This is true is the model number of the cards are the same or if the basic chipsets are the same.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing network card

1) i am trying to install realtek network card in caldrea linux, but i am not able to find the interface, 2)i download drivers for network card and i am not able to read the floopy in linux, pls help me out. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gops
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

Network Card with SGI

The Octane is driving me nuts . It was sitting on the network doing its job nicely and i had to pull the n/w cable out from the wall to pull it from the inside of the table and connected it again . The logs show this -- link down .... < when i pulled it out > link ok < when i connected > But... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Network Card Help

I have been having trouble with my sis900 neytwork card in slacwkare linux. I tried to modprobe the sis900, it didnt give me any errors but it didnt load it. so I put in a realtek 8139 network card and tried it too. These are the errors i get with the two cards when trying to do insmod on either of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Fridgerator
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network card and internet

Hi!. I have problems installing my network card under ther redhat kernel. First i tryed my integrated intel pro set 10/100 then my d-link 530tx Pci but none of them seems to be found. also i huse my network card to connect to the net trough PPPOE where i need to type my username and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gibbler
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I tell which network card is which?

I have three network cards in my unix box. I need to figure out which card corresponds to an assigned IP address. If there some command in unix I can use to make an ethernet interface blink? Any advice would be appreciated. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
6 Replies

6. Solaris

How to identifying the network card ?

Hi Experts, Can we use some command from unix to find the available network interface? I did tried Its listing following, however how can I decide the which vender card is attached e.g. if its hme , bge or some thing else Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to install a network card

Hey guys, Sorry, this question might look stupid but I have no idea how to install a network card. My server is a Dell PowerEdge T105 with Debian 5.0 Lenny. My network card is a Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5722 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express. I've plugged the card innside my server and I can see... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Network Card Name details

Hi All, Can somebody explain that whats the meaning of different interfaces naming scheme, Like ' hme, qfe, e1000g0, ce, eri, bge' ? This is such a basic question which i always overlooked :( Thanks ! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solarister
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

Regarding Network Interface Card

Dear All , While taking backups in one Linux Server , we find one alert came with regard to Network Interface Card. Pl find the below alert. Network Interface Card performance for NIC:eth1 has exceeded Major threshold. Bytes sent and received per second (Average)= 105540.303101... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
6 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Error on network card

Hi Please can you help me to understand what could be wrong based on what I have captured in the logs: I have run cat /var/log/syslog | grep -i warn, and I got the following output NetworkManager: <warn> Activation (eth3) failed. Dec 23 10:58:25 cmoveldb02 NetworkManager: <warn> (eth3): DHCPv4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
2 Replies
EP(4)							 BSD/i386 Kernel Interfaces Manual						     EP(4)

NAME
ep -- Ethernet driver for 3Com Etherlink III (3c5x9) interfaces SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device ep Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_ep_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The ep device driver supports network adapters based on the 3Com 3C5x9 Etherlink III Parallel Tasking chipset. Various models of these cards come with a different assortment of connectors: AUI/DIX Standard 15 pin connector, also known as 10base5 (thick-net) 10Base2 BNC, also known as thin-net 10BaseT UTP, also known as twisted pair The default port to use is the port that has been selected with the setup utility. To override this, use the following media options with ifconfig(8) or in your /etc/rc.conf file. 10base5/AUI Use the AUI port. 10base2/BNC Use the BNC port. 10baseT/UTP Use the UTP port. If there are multiple cards in the computer, they are searched for in the following order: bus, slot, then Ethernet address. HARDWARE
The ep driver supports Ethernet adapters based on the 3Com 3C5x9 Etherlink III Parallel Tasking chipset, including: o 3Com 3C1 CF o 3Com 3C509-TP, 3C509-BNC, 3C509-Combo, 3C509-TPO, 3C509-TPC ISA o 3Com 3C509B-TP, 3C509B-BNC, 3C509B-Combo, 3C509B-TPO, 3C509B-TPC ISA o 3Com 3C529, 3C529-TP MCA o 3Com 3C562/3C563 PCMCIA o 3Com 3C569B-J-TPO, 3C569B-J-COMBO CBUS o 3Com 3C574, 3C574TX, 3C574-TX, 3CCFE574BT, 3CXFE574BT, 3C3FE574BT PCMCIA o 3Com 3C579-TP, 3C579-BNC EISA o 3Com 3C589, 3C589B, 3C589C, 3C589D, 3CXE589DT PCMCIA o 3Com 3CCFEM556B, 3CCFEM556BI PCMCIA o 3Com 3CXE589EC, 3CCE589EC, 3CXE589ET, 3CCE589ET PCMCIA o 3Com Megahertz 3CCEM556, 3CXEM556, 3CCEM556B, 3CXEM556B, 3C3FEM556C PCMCIA o 3Com OfficeConnect 3CXSH572BT, 3CCSH572BT PCMCIA o Farallon EtherWave and EtherMac PC Card (P/n 595/895 with BLUE arrow) NOTES
The 3c509 card has no jumpers to set the address. 3Com supplies software to set the address of the card in software. To find the card on the ISA bus, the kernel performs a complex scan operation at IO address 0x110. Beware! Avoid placing other cards at that address! Furthermore, the 3c509 should only be configured in EISA mode when installed in a computer that has actual EISA slots (and an EISA-aware BIOS). The normal driver auto-detection support is sufficient for non-EISA systems. Many different companies sold the 3Com PC Cards under their own private label. These cards also work. The Farallon EtherWave and EtherMac card came in two varieties. The ep driver supports the 595 and 895 cards. These cards have the blue arrow on the front along with a 3Com logo. The Farallon 595a cards, which have a red arrow on the front, are also called EtherWave and EtherMac. They are supported by the sn(4) driver. DIAGNOSTICS
ep0: reset (status: %x) The driver has encountered a FIFO underrun or overrun. The driver will reset the card and the packet will be lost. This is not fatal. ep0: eeprom failed to come ready The eeprom failed to come ready. This probably means the card is wedged. ep0: 3c509 in test mode. Erase pencil mark! This means that someone has scribbled with pencil in the test area on the card. Erase the pen- cil mark and reboot. (This is not a joke). ep0: No I/O space?! The driver was unable to allocate the I/O space that it thinks should be there. Look for conflicts with other devices. ep0: No irq?! The driver could not allocate the interrupt it wanted. Look for conflicts, although sharing interrupts for PC Card is normal. ep0: No connectors! The driver queried the hardware for what ethernet attachment were present, but the hardware reported none that the driver recognized. ep0: Unable to get Ethernet address! The driver was unable to read the ethernet address from the EEPROM. This is likely the result of the card being wedged. ep0: if_alloc() failed The driver was unable to allocate a ifnet structure. This may happen in extremely low memory conditions. ep0: strange connector type in EEPROM: assuming AUI The driver does not know what to do with the information the EEPROM has about connec- tors, so it is assuming the worst. ep0: unknown ID 0xXXXXXXXX The driver has found an ID that it believes it supports, but does not have a specific identification string to present to the user. ep0: <%s> at port 0x%03x in EISA mode The 3C509 ISA card is in EISA mode. This message appears to be purely informational. ep0: <%s> at x0%03x in PnP mode This card appears to be in Plug and Play mode. It should be probed as part of the plug and play phase of the ISA probes. ep0: Invalid EEPROM checksum! The EEPROM has a bad checksum, so the driver is ignoring the card. ep0: bus_setup_intr() failed! The driver was unable to setup the interrupt handler. This should never happen. SEE ALSO
altq(4), ed(4), el(4), ie(4), intro(4), ng_ether(4), sn(4), vx(4), ifconfig(8) STANDARDS
are great. There is so many to choose from. BUGS
Support for the 3Com 3C1 CompactFlash is not working. BSD
January 1, 2008 BSD