Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Lost+found
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Lost+found Post 15648 by inquirer on Monday 18th of February 2002 12:30:25 AM
Old 02-18-2002
Computer rename it

Files in the lost+found folders are usually files that has no inode for some valid reasons Smilie . Issue "file" command to determine if that file is a text file or something. And if you are sure that the file is part of what you need. Rename the file using the "mv" command outside the lost+found directory with respect to the type of file (e.g., mv <file> ~/<new filename>).

Thanks!
inquirer

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

lost+found

Hi all I am using SOLARIS 8 on Sun enterpris3000 server. Last night i got a file system corrupted adn some inconsistancy in the file system were shown when i run fsck -o p option. Then i tried to fix it with fsck -F ufs -y /dev/md/rdsk/d1 option as i have given all yes response i cd not able to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lost+found directory

what is the directory "lost+found" and how is it used? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ben070371
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what is lost+found dir?

hi all, just wanted to know what is lost+found dir for? tnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bok
1 Replies

4. AIX

Lost+Found is not available

Hi, I have a AIX 4.3.3 running on IBM pseries server. I have some jfs filesystems running on it. I dont see Lost+Found directory in them. Can anybody guide me why it is not available. Cheers, Vinod.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod2all
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Deleted Lost+Found directory

If you delete your lost & found directory, how do you get it back, just do a mkdir? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files in Lost+Found

Hi, upon reboot of our test solaris 9 box, I was prompted to run fsck on one of the filesystems (/var). This resulted in placing all the files in the lost+found directory. I have no backup. What are my options to place the files back to /var (from lost+found, is it possible?). Appreciate any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spricks
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

lost+found

Does anyone have or know of a script to help sort and display a large lost+found directory? i've googled this but not much help solaris 9 thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: morrish
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lost+found

I need to try and sort 125gb of lost+found files and directories that look like from testing the files are good in some areas. Does anyone know of a script using strings, file, find, etc. to help sort something like this........can't find it on google. thks:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: morrish
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to recover data from lost+found

Hi All, I am facing a problem of filesystem corruption,where i am trying to recover data with fsck -f <device name> ,now it restore the corrupted data in lost+found directory.Please let me know how to recover the data from lost+found directory. Thanks, Shailesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbapotikar
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

lost+found

Hi, What is lost+found in linux ? Cheers, snj (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snjksh
2 Replies
VFS_STREAMS_DEPOT(8)					    System Administration tools 				      VFS_STREAMS_DEPOT(8)

NAME
vfs_streams_depot - EXPERIMENTAL module to store alternate data streams in a central directory. SYNOPSIS
vfs objects = streams_depot DESCRIPTION
This EXPERIMENTAL VFS module is part of the samba(7) suite. The vfs_streams_depot enables storing of NTFS alternate data streams in the file system. As a normal posix file system does not support the concept of multiple data streams per file, the streams_depot module stores the data in files in a separate directory. OPTIONS
streams_depot:directory = PATH Path of the directory where the alternate data streams should be stored. Defaults to the sharepath/.streams. streams_depot:delete_lost = [ yes | no ] In the case of an already existing data streams directory for a newly created file the streams directory will be renamed to "lost-%lu", random(). With this option lost stream directories will be removed instead of renamed. o no(default) - rename lost streams to "lost-%lu", random(). o yes - remove lost streams. EXAMPLES
[share] vfs objects = streams_depot AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. Samba 4.0 06/17/2014 VFS_STREAMS_DEPOT(8)