Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can I copy files and subdirectory? Post 15535 by odogbolu98 on Friday 15th of February 2002 10:54:52 AM
Old 02-15-2002
How can I copy files and subdirectory?

I am trying to copy some files from one location to another and I need to write a script to move all the files and the subdirectories to the new location (both unix), but excluding the temp directory.

i.e., I want to avoid copying my temp subdirectories during the process of copying other files and subdirectories

Does anyone has an idea?

This is very urgent:

Odogbolu98Smilie Help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files in directory and its subdirectory

I am writing a script which reads a file line by line and then assigns it to a variable like this 1090373422_4028715212.jpg. I have images with file name of this format in some other directory. In my script I want to assign variable with this file name and then find this filename in some other... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotib
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Question]How to copy files to all subdirectory

I want to copy php.ini to all subdirectory. what command that should i run? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dzufauzan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count files in every subdirectory

Hi if anyone could help me :) I did a lot of search and 70% of answer is "how to count files in all subdirectories". A basic problem for me is how to count files in every subdirectory separately then sort it by number of files For example: dir1 file1 file2 subdir11 dir2 dir3 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yorryk
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to deleting some files under subdirectory

Hi guys, sorry if my english not very well.. i have a problem.. i have a file and the structure is : Folder/ Folder/10.123.124.20/pm_data/A200807 Folder/10.123.124.20/pm_data/A200807 Folder/10.123.124.20/pm_data/A200807 Folder/10.123.124.20/pm_data/A200808... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AdziE
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search text in files within the subdirectory

Hello, I am trying to write a shell script to search for a pattern in the directory and show only one entry for each field, essentially I am looking to search for a pattern in a file and list that file name. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grajp002
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move all files in a directory and subdirectory?

I'm trying to organize my MB Pro by moving all my jpeg files to a single folder from the desktop. There are some on the desktop that are not in any folder. I was at the command line and typed mv *.jpg "Jpeg files" but it only moved the files that were on the desktop, not any of the ones that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing files in subdirectory

Forgive me if there is an answer to this somewhere in the forums. I've gone through as much as I could but couldn't find a relevant answer. What I'm trying to do is use the ll command to list some files in a subdirectory that matches a certain format. I've tried ll *.*a* <subdirectory> but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: archaic
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Find files in subdirectory?

I am trying to find all DAT files in a subdirectory named IN. I do not know the entire path. For example: /stage/<?>/<?>/IN/file.DAT I am using the find command without success: find /stage -name IN -a -name '*.DAT' -print What is the correct logic and syntax? Thank you for the help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TwinGT
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying Multiple Files into a Subdirectory

Hello, I'm very new to scripting languages and I'm to use shell script to write a utility to backup files with a specific extension into a subdirectory. Here is what I have done. #!/bin/bash read -p "Enter file(s) extension: " FILE if ; then mkdir `whoami`.$FILE #To... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: alphanoob
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy non-empty files into subdirectory

How to Copy non-empty files into subdirectory I have directory A there are bunch of files: a.txt a.txt.target b.txt b.target.txt....... How can i find out the non-empty file within *.txt.target and copy them into a subdirectory B? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grace_shen
2 Replies
uuaids(8c)																uuaids(8c)

Name
       uucompact, uumkspool, uurespool, uupoll - uucp utilities

Syntax
       uucompact -ssystem
       uumkspool system ...
       uurespool [ -t# ]
       uupoll system ...

Description
       All of the commands are located in

The  command  compacts  uucp  system spool directories and associated subdirectories. If system is ALL, then all existing uucp system spool
       directories are compacted.  Otherwise, only the specified system spool directory is compacted.  If no system is	specified,  is	compacted.
       If  is stopped before it is finished, it can be restarted without reprocessing directories.  The command continues processing where it left
       off during it's previous instantiation.

The command makes a per system spool directory and associated subdirectories for each of the specified systems.	For example, if system	is
       mk3 and if the local system name is penny, the following directories are created:
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/C.
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/X.
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/D.
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/D.penny
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/D.penny
       The  command  moves files from old spool directories to	new spool directories.	Because the structure of the spool directories has changed
       from older versions of it is necessary to respool old spooled files to new spool directories in at least two instances:

o    When installing the current version of

o    When creating a new system spool directory for each system.

In the latter case, it is necessary to move files from to the new spool directories.  To ease this task, moves files that have been spooled
       in  one	of 4 formats and respools them under the new spooling structure.  The format is specified by the -t# option, where the number sign
       (#) can be any one of the following:

o   Original spool - All files are in

o   Split spool - Contains the subdirectories

o   Modified split spool -  Contains all subdirectories listed in split spool, and

o   Used when a new system directory has been created and spool files must be moved from the DEFAULT directory to the new system directory.

The command forces a connect attempt to the named systems even if recent attempts have failed, but not if the file prohibits the call.  For
       example, the file will prohibit the call if it is the wrong time of day.  Thus, the should be monitored for messages about the connection.

Files
       Spool directory

Logfile

See Also
       mail(1), uucp(1c), uux(1c)

uuaids(8c)