Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Time syncronization
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Time syncronization Post 15464 by thehoghunter on Thursday 14th of February 2002 12:29:32 PM
Old 02-14-2002
xntp works fine between different unix flavors - NT can also get it's time from a unix ntp server.

Check out the web site www.ntp.org.
thehoghunter

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How To Provide Time Sync Using Nts-150 Time Server On Unix Network?

can anybody tel lme,how to instal NTS -150 on a unix network,it needs some patch to fetch time frm serve,,?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pesty
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Epoch Time to Standard Date and Time & Vice Versa

Hi guys, I know that this topic has been discuss numerous times, and I have search the net and this forum for it. However, non able to address the problem I faced so far. I am on Solaris Platform and unable to install additional packages like the GNU date and gawk to make use of their... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrivesMeCrazy
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting string date time to unix time in AWK

I'd like to convert a date string in the form of sun aug 19 09:03:10 EDT 2012, to unixtime timestamp using awk. I tried This is how each line of the file looks like, different date and time in this format Sun Aug 19 08:33:45 EDT 2012, user1(108.6.217.236) all: test on the 17th ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkkid
2 Replies

4. Solaris

modifying date and time and time zone on solaris 5.10 with (redundant server) veritas

I have a cluster of two Solaris server (veritas cluster). one working and the other is standby I am going to change the date on them , and am looking for a secure solution as it is giving an important service. my opinion is that the active one doesn't need to be restarted (if I don't change the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: barry1946
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Servers Syncronization Software

:wall: Does anyone know of a good Unix Server Syncronization Softwarware, I have a customer that has a primary server but he wants to get another one as a backup and he wants to syncronize all the disks on a daily or weekly bases to have it ready in case the primary fails. Your help would be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reb
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTC time into current UNIX sever time zone

Hi guys thanks for the help for my previous posts.Now i have a requirement that i download a XMl file which has UTC time stamp.I need to convert UTC time into Unix server timezone. For ex if the time zone of unix server is CDT then i need to convert into CDT.whatever may be the system time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
5 Replies

7. Programming

Find gaps in time data and replace missing time value and column 2 value by interpolation in awk

Dear all, I am kindly seeking assistance on the following issue. I am working with data that is sampled every 0.05 hours (that is 3 minutes intervals) here is a sample data from the file 5.00000 15.5030 5.05000 15.6680 5.10000 16.0100 5.15000 16.3450 5.20000 16.7120 5.25000... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malandisa
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate Time diff in milli milliseconds(Time format : HH:MM:SS,NNN)

Hi All, I have one file which contains time for request and response. I want to calculate time difference in milliseconds for each line. This file can contain 10K lines. Sample file with 4 lines. for first line. Request Time: 15:23:45,255 Response Time: 15:23:45,258 Time diff... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raza Ali
6 Replies
ntp_intro(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					      ntp_intro(7)

NAME
ntp_intro - Network Time Protocol (NTP) introductory information DESCRIPTION
The Tru64 UNIX software supports two time services: Network Time Protocol (NTP) Time Synchronization Protocol (TSP) Because it can be traced to clocks of high absolute accuracy, NTP provides a more accurate time service than TSP. By contrast, TSP syn- chronizes time to the average of the network host times. TSP is an acceptable time service if your system is not on the Internet and does not have access to a highly accurate time server; otherwise, NTP is recommended. Network Time Protocol The Network Time Protocol (NTP) provides accurate, dependable, and synchronized time for hosts on both wide area networks (like the Inter- net) and local area networks. In particular, NTP provides synchronization traceable to clocks of high absolute accuracy, and avoids syn- chronization to clocks keeping bad time. Hosts running NTP periodically exchange datagrams querying each other about their current estimate of the time. Using the round-trip time of the packet, a host can estimate the one-way delay to the other host. (The assumption is that the delay is roughly equal in both direc- tions.) By measuring the one-way delay and examining the timestamps that are returned with the NTP packet, a host computes the difference between its clock time and that of the host it queried. A host queries a remote host several times over a period and feeds the results from the multiple samples to a digital-filtering algorithm. The algorithm provides a more accurate estimate of the delay, clock offset, and clock stability than could be obtained with a single sam- ple. NTP messages also contain information about the accuracy and reliability of the time sources. An NTP host connected directly to a highly accurate time source, such as a radio receiver tuned to a time code signal broadcast by a government agency, is called a stratum 1 server. Every other NTP host adopts a stratum number that is one higher than the host from which it sets its own time. For example, a host syn- chronized to a stratum 1 server becomes a stratum 2 host. Stratum determination is done automatically, and the stratum of a host can vary as its connectivity changes. A host running NTP combines various information to decide which of the hosts it queried provides the time it believes to be the most accu- rate. This information includes the output of the digital-filtering algorithm and the stratum numbers of the hosts it queried. By commu- nicating with several other hosts, an NTP host can usually detect those hosts that are keeping bad time, and is able to stay synchronized even if some of the other hosts become unavailable for long periods. In practice, NTP is able to synchronize clocks to within a few milliseconds even over wide area networks spanning thousands of miles. To obtain even greater accuracy, use the NTP_TIME kernel option. See System Administration for more information. You can optionally use a high-resolution clock, enabling the time returned by the clock_gettime routine to be extrapolated between the clock ticks. The granularity of the time returned will be in microseconds. To use the high-resolution clock, use the MICRO_TIME kernel option. For detailed information on NTP, see Network Time Protocol (Version 3) (RFC 1305). Time Synchronization Protocol The Time Synchronization Protocol (TSP) is the protocol used by the daemon. In its simplest application, the TSP servers on a broadcast network (for example, an Ethernet) periodically broadcast TSP packets. The hosts on the network elect one of the hosts on the network run- ning TSP as a master. The master then controls the further operation of the protocol until it fails and a new master is elected. The mas- ter collects time values from the other hosts and computes the average of all the times reported. It then sets its own clock to this aver- age, and tells the other hosts to synchronize their clocks with it. TSP quickly synchronizes all participating hosts. However, because TSP does not trace time back to sources of known accuracy, it is unable to correct for systematic errors. If a clock drifts significantly, or if a mistake is made in setting the time on a participating host, the average time calculated and distributed by the master can be affected significantly. For information on setting up the network time services, refer to Network Administration. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: ntp(1), ntpdate(8), ntptrace(8), timedsetup(8), xntpdc(8) Functions: ctime(3) Files: ntp.conf(4), ntp.drift(4), ntp.keys(4) Daemons: timed(8), xntpd(8) Network Time Protocol (Version 3) (RFC 1305) Network Administration System Administration delim off ntp_intro(7)