Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Which motherboard???
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Which motherboard??? Post 15362 by #1freebsddude on Wednesday 13th of February 2002 11:07:37 AM
Old 02-13-2002
1. If you have never used Unix before I would recommend Redhat.

2. Worst case, you can buy a cheap promise PCI ATA card for about $35 - 50 and disable your on-board ATA chip.

3. It may be difficult to find a slot-1 motherboard.

But I am sure you should be able to install Linux with what you
have.

Best Wishes!

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Motherboard Compatibility

Hi there,, I URGENTLY need to know if the Gigabyte GA 8IDML Motherboard is compatible with the Unix BSD. We need to know if we should buy new boards before we can use the product. Thanking you Hannelie Bosch:confused: :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hbosch
1 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Need BIOS drivers for motherboard

Does anyone know a good driver site. If you've heard of driverguide.com or driversearch.com please do not reccomend them because I already know them. I need to know where to get Motherboard drivers for a homemade computer. If there is any info that you need to know feel free to make a reply. :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: computek
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing Motherboard

My UNIX (SCO) crashed. I replaced the MB and tried reconfiguring all the devices etc...the system detects the NIC ok, but the following are not working properly a) keyboard/credit card swipe which connects to PS/2 port not working b) unable to connect to another PC in the small network c)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maakus
0 Replies

4. Linux

Intel 965 motherboard series

Can anybody help me about 965 motherboard? I have one, and i want visual console on it in RHEL5. If anyone has the module any any form plz send it for me. I will very thankful to U. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: talk2hod
0 Replies

5. Solaris

corrupted motherboard

hi i have a sun server V890 and i added two cpu/memory modules to it but it caused the motherboard to become corrupted could you please help me find what causes this problem and how to avoid it because i changed the corrupted motherboard and i want to do the expansion and I'm scared that ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bahjatm
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Change motherboard

Hello, I am fairly new to Solaris ... You can change the motherboard of a computer with solaris 10? Exist a tutorial for this or can you tell me how to do this? Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sedos
3 Replies

7. Hardware

SSD - motherboard compatibility question

I am planning on purchasing an OCZ SSD that runs on the PCI Express lane. Now, while the motherboard it is to be installed on is not listed in the compatibility table, this does not mean it will not work, because the table only lists the motherboards that have been tested. Still, is there a way... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies
IE(4)							 BSD/i386 Kernel Interfaces Manual						     IE(4)

NAME
ie -- Ethernet device driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device ie Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_ie_load="YES" In /boot/device.hints: hint.ie.0.at="isa" hint.ie.0.port="0x300" hint.ie.0.irq="5" hint.ie.0.maddr="0xd0000" HARDWARE
The ie driver provides supports the following 8 and 16bit ISA Ethernet cards that are based on the Intel i82586 chip: o 3COM 3C507 o AT&T EN100 o AT&T Starlan 10 o AT&T Starlan Fiber o Intel EtherExpress 16 o RACAL Interlan NI5210 DIAGNOSTICS
ie%d: unknown board type code %d An i82586 chip was found, but the driver was unable to determine the actual board type during the probe. ie%d: kernel configured maddr %x doesn't match board configured maddr %x The device probe detected a different maddr than the one specified in the kernel configuration file. ie%d: can't find shared memory The device probe could not access the shared memory to determine its size. ie%d: kernel configured msize %d doesn't match board configured msize %d The device probe found a different size for the shared memory than the one specified in the kernel configuration file. ie%d: kernel configured irq %d doesn't match board configured irq %d The device probe detected that the board is configured for a different interrupt than the one specified in the kernel configuration file. ie%d: reset The Intel i82586 had to be reset by the driver. ie%d: transceiver problem The driver has detected a problem with the Ethernet transceiver. This is usually due to a loose or broken trans- ceiver cable when using an external transceiver. When you experience this problem with an on-card transceiver your card may be incorrectly jumpered for to use an external transceiver. Worst case your on-board transceiver may be broken. ie%d: TDR detected an open %d clocks away The driver detected an open circuit in the Ethernet cable. Check your coax cable and terminator resistors. ie%d: TDR detected a short %d clocks away The driver detected a short circuit in the Ethernet cable. Check your coax cable and terminator resistors. ie%d: TDR returned unknown status %x The driver got an unknown status from the card during the Ethernet cable test. ie%d: multicast address setup command failed The card could not be put into multicast mode. ie%d: configure command failed The card refused to respond correctly during configuration. ie%d: individual address setup command failed The programming of the Ethernet (MAC) address failed. CAVEATS
The Racal Interlan NI5210 comes in variants with 8 and 16 kbytes of shared memory. It is strongly advisable to use the 16 kbyte variant. You can upgrade your 8 kbyte card to 16 kbyte by adding an additional RAM chip. SEE ALSO
arp(4), netintro(4), ng_ether(4), ifconfig(8) AUTHORS
The ie device driver was written by Garrett A. Wollman, based on code by William F. Jolitz and Lawrence Berkeley Laboratories. 3C507 support was written by Charles M. Hannum. This manual page was written by Wilko C. Bulte. BSD
July 16, 2005 BSD