Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help on MOVE command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help on MOVE command Post 1536 by michelr on Tuesday 13th of March 2001 10:50:02 AM
Old 03-13-2001
Thx for your quick reply ...

I've already thought about that :-)
It would be the easiest way ...

Many thx
Michel

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to test whether a move command has been well executed

Hi its me again am having some prob to validate a script.. The script contain some mv file commands and i have to test whether the mv command has been executed successfully my move command are as follows......... mv -f... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lutchumaya
6 Replies

2. Solaris

move command

Hi, I am using SOLARIS 9. I am trying to move a huge number of files using the mv commands below- #mv inbuffer/* /tmp/inbuffer/ but system says arguments too long.. Could u please tell which command i need to put for moving AND copying ??? Many Thanks in advance-- Purple (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on move (mv) command

Hi all, I am using c-shell ,Sun OS. When i am trying to move (mv) a file size more then 2 GB i am getting error like -- parameter value too high -- also ls -ltr command was not working on that . But when i move a file of size less then or just above 2gb ,It is working fine . Can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about move command

Is there a way to undo a move after running a command such as this: find ./* -type f -name "*.pdf" -exec mv {} /new/dir \; :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bulk move in ssh command

Hi All, I am getting an problem. I am using ssh command in shell script to copy all files from a dir to another. find /home/dee -type f ! -newer /tmp/new | xargs -i cp {} /home/past{} This works fine but when I replace cp with mv, nothing happens! not even error. Can anybody please... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deei
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move command within script

Anyone have an idea to why the statement below does not work within a script but works when issued from the command line? mv /dir_files/submit.log* /bintemp (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bwcberb
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help required with move command

Hi I need to move the first file in a folder to an another folder but am facing issues with the below cmd. CAN someone correct me Ex : Folder :data/cat/tst ad2 ad4 ad5 ad6 output req: data/cat/man ad2 Command Used : ls -lt ad*|head -1|mv/data/cat/man (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akshay01987
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with move command

I need help with a move command from one folder to another In current folder there are files like test_1.txt, test_2.txt I want to move this to another folder /archive with renaming files as test_1_old.txt, test_2_old.txt (actually in old it should be a timestamp which I do it through etl... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and move command with exec

Hi all, I am trying to find files newer than a given file and them mv them to a new location. So I far I have: find . ! -newer <file_name> -exec ls -l {} \; and find . ! -newer <file_name> -exec mv /TEMP_LOCATION {} \; find is not liking this. Anyone know how to modify the last... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Move and Rename in One Command

Hey all, I really need help with some homework I'm having on UNIX. This probably sounds stupid, but I'm being asked to move a file to a specific directory and rename it a specified name in one command. I know how to do it in more than one command, I just can't seem to figure it out using only one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ayylmao12
1 Replies
mvdir(1M)																 mvdir(1M)

NAME
mvdir - move a directory SYNOPSIS
dir newdir DESCRIPTION
moves one directory tree into another existing directory (within the same file system), or renames a directory without moving it. dir must be an existing directory. If newdir does not exist but the directory that would contain it does, dir is moved and/or renamed to newdir. Otherwise, newdir must be an existing directory not already containing an entry with the same name as the last pathname component of dir. In this case, dir is moved and becomes a subdirectory of newdir. The last pathname component of dir is used as the name for the moved directory. refuses to move dir if the path specified by newdir would be a descendent directory of the path specified by dir. Such cases are not allowed because cyclic sub-trees would be created as in the case, for example, of which is prohibited. does not allow directory to be moved. Only users who have appropriate privileges can use EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
cp(1), mkdir(1), mv(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
mvdir(1M)