Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: please help - file merger
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting please help - file merger Post 15342 by matt80 on Wednesday 13th of February 2002 05:32:22 AM
Old 02-13-2002
Question please help - file merger

I am developing using bourne shell. The problem I have is I want to compare two files with a common field id (like sdiff command). However I don't want to mark the records that are different I want to display the entire record that exist in only one of the files but does not exist in the other file.

Thankyou in advanced.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Merger Two file

Hi , I am new I need you help.. this is my question i have two file 1st file have Appserver1 Appserver2 Appserver3 2nd file have Appserver1 1234 Appserver1 234 Appserver3 3333 output I want like this Appserver1 Appserver1 1234 Appserver1 Appserver1 234 Appserver3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paranee2
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 text file with 1 column in each file and write mismatch data to 3rd file

Hi, I need to compare 2 text files with around 60000 rows and 1 column. I need to compare these and write the mismatch data to 3rd file. File1 - file2 = file3 wc -l file1.txt 58112 wc -l file2.txt 55260 head -5 file1.txt 101214200123 101214700300 101250030067 101214100500... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya Nochiyil
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies
SDIFF(1)							   User Commands							  SDIFF(1)

NAME
sdiff - side-by-side merge of file differences SYNOPSIS
sdiff [OPTION]... FILE1 FILE2 DESCRIPTION
Side-by-side merge of file differences. -o FILE --output=FILE Operate interactively, sending output to FILE. -i --ignore-case Consider upper- and lower-case to be the same. -E --ignore-tab-expansion Ignore changes due to tab expansion. -b --ignore-space-change Ignore changes in the amount of white space. -W --ignore-all-space Ignore all white space. -B --ignore-blank-lines Ignore changes whose lines are all blank. -I RE --ignore-matching-lines=RE Ignore changes whose lines all match RE. --strip-trailing-cr Strip trailing carriage return on input. -a --text Treat all files as text. -w NUM --width=NUM Output at most NUM (default 130) columns per line. -l --left-column Output only the left column of common lines. -s --suppress-common-lines Do not output common lines. -t --expand-tabs Expand tabs to spaces in output. -d --minimal Try hard to find a smaller set of changes. -H --speed-large-files Assume large files and many scattered small changes. --diff-program=PROGRAM Use PROGRAM to compare files. -v --version Output version info. --help Output this help. If a FILE is `-', read standard input. AUTHOR
Written by Thomas Lord. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. You may redistribute copies of this program under the terms of the GNU General Public License. For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for sdiff is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and sdiff programs are properly installed at your site, the command info diff should give you access to the complete manual. diffutils 2.8.1 April 2002 SDIFF(1)