Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fork()ing hell!!
Top Forums Programming fork()ing hell!! Post 15329 by LivinFree on Wednesday 13th of February 2002 01:07:23 AM
Old 02-13-2002
Compiling with g++ on an OpenBSD 3.0 box, I get a "Memory Fault", and it dumps core when I try to run a command, like "ls".
The exit value is 139, and gdb reports a "Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x1ad8 in main () "

Is this machine specific?
(I'm a no-C / C++ goof - Trying, though)

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rpm hell!

I've just installed redhat 6.2 on one of my systems and am trying to install the gcc c compiler after downloading an rpm from the redhat site. The damn thing gives me: only major numbers <= 3 are supported by this version of RPM what do I do, it does the same with the latest rpm of php ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: knmwt15000
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

hell and sqlite

Hi everyone, I have a requirement that requires me to fill an sqlite database with 100,000 entries (no duplicates). I will start out by giving the command that will insert the values necessary to populate the database: # sqlite /var/local/database/dblist "insert into list... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ogoy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

hell & mathematics

I've been able to generate output based on the code scarfake provided me (thanks again man). A little background so everyone more or less knows whats going on: I needed code that would propagate a database with 100,000 entries, for capacity testing purposes, something like a stress test. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ogoy
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confussed as hell

:eek: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kevinfine
1 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

The Hell of colaboration in UNIX and Linux

I don't want to speak about the goods or bads of both kinds of Operating systems, I only want to share a little experience with you to comment it. I live in Spain and I have home some old unix systems, some of them that I want to sell or change for other things, like a pair of Sun Blade 2000... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Golfonauta
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing and sed'ing chunks in bash... need help on speeding up a log parser.

I have a file that is 20 - 80+ MB in size that is a certain type of log file. It logs one of our processes and this process is multi-threaded. Therefore the log file is kind of a mess. Here's an example: The logfile looks like: "DATE TIME - THREAD ID - Details", and a new file is created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elinenbe
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

quoting hell - help needed!!

I am writing a bash script to automate the installation of web environment on a base install of Fedora. And I'm at the limit of my last nerve and my bash skills. My brain is screaming at me: "Give up and use perl", but I am trying to stick to bash since the script will modify the perl environment... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbe
6 Replies

8. Programming

Issue when fork()ing processes

Hi guys! I'll simplify my problem. I have the following code: #include <fcntl.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <signal.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/wait.h> #define max 25 #define buffdim 50 void p1(); void p2();... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pfpietro
2 Replies
fmd(1M) 						  System Administration Commands						   fmd(1M)

NAME
fmd - fault manager daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/fm/fmd/fmd [-V] [-f file] [-o opt=val] [-R dir] DESCRIPTION
fmd is a daemon that runs in the background on each Solaris system. fmd receives telemetry information relating to problems detected by the system software, diagnoses these problems, and initiates proactive self-healing activities such as disabling faulty components. When appropriate, the fault manager also sends a message to the syslogd(1M) service to notify an administrator that a problem has been detected. The message directs administrators to a knowledge article on Sun's web site, http://www.sun.com/msg/, which explains more about the problem impact and appropriate responses. Each problem diagnosed by the fault manager is assigned a Universal Unique Identifier (UUID). The UUID uniquely identifes this particular problem across any set of systems. The fmdump(1M) utility can be used to view the list of problems diagnosed by the fault manager, along with their UUIDs and knowledge article message identifiers. The fmadm(1M) utility can be used to view the resources on the system believed to be faulty. The fmstat(1M) utility can be used to report statistics kept by the fault manager. The fault manager is started automatically when Solaris boots, so it is not necessary to use the fmd command directly. Sun's web site explains more about what capabilities are cur- rently available for the fault manager on Solaris. OPTIONS
The following options are supported -f file Read the specified configuration file prior to searching for any of the default fault manager configuration files. -o opt=value Set the specified fault manager option to the specified value. Fault manager options are currently a Private inter- face; see attributes(5) for information about Private interfaces. -R dir Use the specified root directory for all pathnames evaluated by the fault manager, instead of the default root (/). -V Print the fault manager's version to stdout and exit. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion 1 An error occurred which prevented the fault manager from initializing, such as failure to open the telemetry trans- port. 2 Invalid command-line options were specified. FILES
/etc/fm/fmd Fault manager configuration directory /usr/lib/fm/fmd Fault manager library directory /var/fm/fmd Fault manager log directory ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWfmd | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), fmadm(1M), fmdump(1M), fmstat(1M), syslogd(1M), attributes(5), smf(5) http://www.sun.com/msg/ NOTES
The Fault Manager is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/fmd:default The service's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. Administrators should not disable the Fault Manager service. SunOS 5.10 17 Nov 2004 fmd(1M)