Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Graphics And Animation
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Graphics And Animation Post 15322 by #1freebsddude on Tuesday 12th of February 2002 10:40:57 PM
Old 02-12-2002
I am not exactly sure what you mean by "other unix"
languages but I will answer the question for C.

Graphics/computations can be a very CPU intensive
process.

Most of the unix kernel and daemons are written in the C programming language.

Kernel is the central "core" of unix. Users interact with
the kernel using shells. Calls to the kernel are made directly through the C library.

C can be considered native to unix and thus efficient,
which is probably one the reasons why it is good for
graphics.

What other Unix languages were you thinking of ?

Best Wishes.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

3d animation

What are the benefits to using UNIX for 3d animation. I am looking into the field, and most places require a strong background in UNIX. Why is this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aloysius1001
3 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

unix.com Flash animation

I realy Love the look of the Flash animation at top of the forum, very sweet. But it uses all of my cpu power :( even winamp starts getting little skips. Then i have to scroll down and hide the nice animation :( Maybe someone could try to tune it a little bit. Thats on a 1,6 Ghz... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lazzar
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script animation

I have read hundreds of the postings and cannot find the answer to my question...so I hope that someone is able to answer it for me. I am writing a script in bash, and would like to add animation. I have a gif file that I would like to open and have displayed on the screen. Can this be done? Of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: debit
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Animation

Hi, I want to write a shell script which can do some animation The animation is as follows it is like a progress barwhich hould gone on inresing with time & at the end of the line there should be the progess Eg == - 10%... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wojtyla
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gnuplot shell script controlled animation

Hi, I am looking for basic shell script to feed Gnuplot with live data, to arrange basic animation. I mean one-liner one variable real function. Any idea or experiences from the past, generating Gnuplot animation on dumb terminal (ASCII only) ? Or please refer me to a nice web site. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: darius2
7 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

[Solved] links2 --enable-graphics from source, configure error: no graphics driver found.

Howdy I am trying to install links2 with graphics support on snow leopard 10.6.8 (xcode installed). I have had the program running last year, also installed from source - but then I had installed some image libraries with mac ports and fink - cannot reproduce that setup. Plus I would like to not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: butterbaerchen
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop animation

This is just for fun but i can't work it out I want to animate this dotted line in a shell script. .................................................................................. I want it to start at one dot like this . and end up printing them all. I think I need a while loop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
5 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Forum Description Animation with jQuery

I found that the pages that lists all the forums were too cluttered with the forum descriptions, so I added a bit of jQuery to hide the forum descriptions and to fade them in and out on mouseover: <script> $(document).ready(function() { jQuery(".neo-forum-description").hide();... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
regex(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  regex(3)

Name
       re_comp, re_exec - regular expression handler

Syntax
       char *re_comp(s)
       char *s;

re_exec(s)
       char *s;

Description
       The  subroutine	compiles  a string into an internal form suitable for pattern matching.  The subroutine checks the argument string against
       the last string passed to

The subroutine returns 0 if the string s was compiled successfully; otherwise a string containing an  error  message  is  returned.  If	is
       passed 0 or a null string, it returns without changing the currently compiled regular expression.

The  subroutine returns 1 if the string s matches the last compiled regular expression, 0 if the string s failed to match the last compiled
       regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression was invalid (indicating an internal error).

The strings passed to both and may have trailing or embedded newline characters; they are terminated by	nulls.	 The  regular  expressions
       recognized are described in the manual entry for given the above difference.

Diagnostics
       The subroutine returns -1 for an internal error.

The subroutine returns one of the following strings if an error occurs:

No previous regular expression
       Regular expression too long
       unmatched (
       missing ]
       too many () pairs
       unmatched )

See Also
       ed(1), ex(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1)

regex(3)