Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: compress --> gzip
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers compress --> gzip Post 1525 by PxT on Monday 12th of March 2001 12:44:35 PM
Old 03-12-2001
for file in *.Z
do

BASE=`basename $file .Z`
uncompress $file
gzip $BASE

done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Details of compress -b

Hello. Can any1 help me with the compress command. The -b option takes the number of bits used for encoding. can u expalin why this number of bits is used and for what purpose. what is the maximum number we can provide? In SFU these number has a valod range between 12 and 16 y?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

2. SCO

Help on compress command

Hello. Can any1 help me with the compress command. The -b option takes the number of bits used for encoding. can u expalin why this number of bits is used and for what purpose. what is the maximum number we can provide? In SFU these number has a valod range between 12 and 16 y?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between 'compress' and 'gzip'

hi can i know the diff between these 2 commands in terms of data compressed (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandapani
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to compress

People i have files.arc i need to compress one by one...but they need to have the same date for example jan 30 1234.arc jan 30 12334.arc jan 30 rejrne.arc jan 30 e423e4.arc jan 30 afdhnfhd.arc jan 31 aresdfds.arc I need to compres the jan 30 .arc only thank you very much (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: enkei17
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gzip instead of compress

Duplicate threads merged jmc Hi, I have a script wherein I want to use gzip instead of compress. # cat dly_appsfiles_bkp.ksh # # dly_appsfiles_bkp.ksh # date_stamp=`date +%m%d%y` base_dir=/u05/gld1 sub_dir=apps bkp_dir=/u00/backup/GLD1/APPS... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: narayanv
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

limitation of gzip and compress

Hi, in AIX 6.1 what is the limite of gzip and compress ? I mean what can be at most the size of the file to compress ? Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All, I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146 $ ll test.txt $ 146 test.txt Take 1: $ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz $ ll test.txt.gz $ 124 test.txt.gz Take 2: $ gzip test.txt $ ll test.txt.gz $ 133 test.txt.gz As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanfresco
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the difference between commands compress, pack and gzip

Are the above commands does the same job ? same functionaliy ? If so, why do we have three utilities for the same functinality. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frintocf
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compress multiple gzip files

Good afternoon friends. I wanted to make a query, how to compress several files and leave them all in 1, for example flat text files: filename_1.csv filename_2.csv filename_3.csv expected result filename_end.gzip = (filename_1.csv filename_2.csv filename_3.csv) please (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
2 Replies
cr_uncompress(3)					     Library Functions Manual						  cr_uncompress(3)

NAME
cr_uncompress - uncompress a file in a crash dump SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The ensures that a file, part of a crash dump described by crash_cb, is uncompressed and matches its expected size and checksum (as com- puted by cksum(1)). This call is most often used to ensure the integrity of module files that are a part of the crash dump; see cr_info(3). pathname is the name of the file to uncompress. Supported compression methods include gzip(1), which appends a to the filename, and com- press(1), which appends Respectively, size and checksum are the expected size and checksum of the uncompressed file. Either validity check can be disabled by specifying zero for the corresponding parameter. RETURN VALUE
Returns zero for success. Other possible return values are described in libcrash(5). EXAMPLE
The following call to cr_uncompress(3) ensures that the kernel file is uncompressed and validated. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
gunzip(1), uncompress(1), cr_info(3), cr_open(3), libcrash(5). cr_uncompress(3)