Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I changed PS1 and now ....
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I changed PS1 and now .... Post 15241 by Fwurm on Tuesday 12th of February 2002 09:54:04 AM
Old 02-12-2002
Okay, I put

Quote:
PS1="`hostname`-$LOGNAME:\${PWD#*}> "
this as my PS1.

This is working.

What I am trying to do is to get some color into it. So I can easily tell the what the promt is and what is not. I am using mostly the command line interface. And I can make it look better. Smilie

So, do you know a different way to put color into the promt?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PS1 variable

I want to set my prompt to something more descriptive than a plain old $, so I set the PS1 variable as such: PS1="" Which changes the prompt correctly, but when I change directories, it does not update the prompt. So I tried this: PS1="`pwd`>" I get the same results when changing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PS1 problem

can anyone tell me how to change the $ prompt by calling a variable. Say for example i called a var 'enable' I and would like the $ prompt to change to a phrase like 'my prompt' any help would be great (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pg080394
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To change PS1 for every one second

I want to change the PS1 prompt with current time. I want the PS1 to update for every one second. I write a Script. PS1='\T' but it updates after i press enter key.I want to update without pressing enter key. can any one help me? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmananindia
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PS1 prompt

please advise what's wrong with this command ? PS1="`hostname`:`who am i | cut -d " " -f1`:>>" trying to make the PS1 prompt look like : machine_name:username:>> thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Export PS1 I think :-0

I am 100% new to Unix and trying to learn. This is my first time even touching a script in Unix. We have the following variable script that I am trying to run.... ################################## ###### variable test### ################################## Hostname=`hostname`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PS1 challenge

Ok then i Have a challenge for you : Give me PS1 so that it always display the least 2 levels of directory (except if i am above of course) I want it this way : so if i go to / /home/ /home/user /home/user/whatever /home/user/whatever1/whatever2 my PS1 should respectively... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctsgnb
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting PS1

I have set PSI for my prompt using the following command: PS1="${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\\u@\h:\\\w\a]\ "which produces chrisd@pguk:~]I want to include [ in the beginning but cannot understand the way to do this. Also I want to show only the current directory, not the whole... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing PS1

I have coded PS1 as shown, producing the following result when writing on the command line ┌─ cdl └──╼ make tracepdf2d If I make an error in the command an ✗ is printed ┌─ ✗ cdl └──╼ ls-a ls-a: command not found My problem is that if I just press enter, I do not want to have the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to echo "File permissions or ownership changed from required " when accidentally changed.

Hi All, I have to work in the late nights some times for server maintenance and in a hurry to complete I am accidentally changing ownership or permission of directories :( which have similar names ( /var in root and var of some other directory ).:confused: Can some one suggest me with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PS1 - change

Hello I am attempting to generate a bash scrip that prompts me at loggin to change my PS1 - However, I am running into an issue w/ the code. #!/bin/bash #the point of this script is to that it automates and changes my prompts every day msg1="What do you feel like adding today :" echo... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: D'go
11 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)