Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reverse Display
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Reverse Display Post 15215 by LivinFree on Tuesday 12th of February 2002 04:47:34 AM
Old 02-12-2002
Is there any difference between "tput rev" and "tput smso"?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reverse *

when I do $ ls z* List of all files begining with 'z'. But what if I want to do a reverse lookup. Just for interest sake ;) $ ls ztr should be same as $ ls ztr* $ ls zt* $ ls z* (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: azmathshaikh
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to reverse output?

hi, I have to reverse the command output like below: output: online offline disable maintening killed How to reverse this output like: killed maintening disable offline online It should be ksh script. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reverse multiword

Just check out the script... 1 #!/bin/bash 2 3 echo -n "Enter a string :: " 4 read str 5 echo -n "Reverse is :: " 6 l=`expr length "$str"` 7 while 8 do 9 m=`echo $str | cut -c "$l"` 10 echo -n $m 11 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lipun4u
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DISPLAY=local_host:0.0 ; export DISPLAY

Hi, from my Windows Workstation I can connect with PUTTY to an AIX 6.1 unix server. On AIX via PUTTY I run DBCA which has a grphical interface. Then : #DISPLAY=local_host:0.0 ; export DISPLAY $(hostname) $(whoami):/appli/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/bin#dbca _X11TransSocketINETConnect()... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reverse of a string

Hi All, I have a String str="Manish". I would like to reverse it. I know the option to do this in bash is: echo "Manish" | rev but I have seen an alternate solution somewhere, which states that: str="Manish" echo $str | awk '{ for(i=length($0);i>=1;i--) printf("%s",substr($0,i,1));... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishdivs
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reverse Display of a file

Hi all, Just saw a "sed" format to reverse display the file contents, but am not geting its logic completely. I would appreciate if somebody can explain sed '1!G;h;$!d' < filename All I know in this is that : G will add a new line after every line except first one... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dextergenious
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reverse even lines

I'm trying to reverse every even line in my file using the awk command below but it prints only the odd lines but nothing else: $ awk '(NR % 2) {print}; !(NR % 2) {print | "rev";}' myfile Any idea what I might have done wrong? Thank you. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reverse complement

I want to reverse some DNA sequences and complement them at the same time. Thus, A changes to T; C to G; T to A and G to C. example: infile >GHL8OVD01CMQVT SHORT1 TTGATGT >GHL8OVD01CMQVT SHORT2 TTGATGT outfile: >GHL8OVD01CMQVT SHORT1 ACATCAA >GHL8OVD01CMQVT SHORT2 ACATCAA The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reverse command

Hi, Apologies in advance - out of my scope here but would love your help. I have the following command on destination system to copy data from one system to another: rcmd "cd data; find . -print|cpio -ocB" | dd ibs=5k obs=5k|cpio -iducmvB I am looking to run a once off command from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: depn
1 Replies
clear(1)						      General Commands Manual							  clear(1)

NAME
clear - clear the terminal screen SYNOPSIS
clear [-Ttype] [-V] [-x] DESCRIPTION
clear clears your screen if this is possible, including its scrollback buffer (if the extended "E3" capability is defined). clear looks in the environment for the terminal type given by the environment variable TERM, and then in the terminfo database to determine how to clear the screen. clear writes to the standard output. You can redirect the standard output to a file (which prevents clear from actually clearing the screen), and later cat the file to the screen, clearing it at that point. OPTIONS
-T type indicates the type of terminal. Normally this option is unnecessary, because the default is taken from the environment variable TERM. If -T is specified, then the shell variables LINES and COLUMNS will also be ignored. -V reports the version of ncurses which was used in this program, and exits. The options are as follows: -x do not attempt to clear the terminal's scrollback buffer using the extended "E3" capability. HISTORY
A clear command appeared in 2.79BSD dated February 24, 1979. Later that was provided in Unix 8th edition (1985). AT&T adapted a different BSD program (tset) to make a new command (tput), and used this to replace the clear command with a shell script which calls tput clear, e.g., /usr/bin/tput ${1:+-T$1} clear 2> /dev/null exit In 1989, when Keith Bostic revised the BSD tput command to make it similar to the AT&T tput, he added a shell script for the clear command: exec tput clear The remainder of the script in each case is a copyright notice. The ncurses clear command began in 1995 by adapting the original BSD clear command (with terminfo, of course). The E3 extension came later: o In June 1999, xterm provided an extension to the standard control sequence for clearing the screen. Rather than clearing just the vis- ible part of the screen using printf '33[2J' one could clear the scrollback using printf '33[3J' This is documented in XTerm Control Sequences as a feature originating with xterm. o A few other terminal developers adopted the feature, e.g., PuTTY in 2006. o In April 2011, a Red Hat developer submitted a patch to the Linux kernel, modifying its console driver to do the same thing. The Linux change, part of the 3.0 release, did not mention xterm, although it was cited in the Red Hat bug report (#683733) which led to the change. o Again, a few other terminal developers adopted the feature. But the next relevant step was a change to the clear program in 2013 to incorporate this extension. o In 2013, the E3 extension was overlooked in tput with the "clear" parameter. That was addressed in 2016 by reorganizing tput to share its logic with clear and tset. PORTABILITY
Neither IEEE Std 1003.1/The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 7 (POSIX.1-2008) nor X/Open Curses Issue 7 documents tset or reset. The latter documents tput, which could be used to replace this utility either via a shell script or by an alias (such as a symbolic link) to run tput as clear. SEE ALSO
tput(1), terminfo(5) This describes ncurses version 6.1 (patch 20180127). clear(1)