Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Filtering duplicate lines
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Filtering duplicate lines Post 14998 by thehoghunter on Friday 8th of February 2002 01:18:05 PM
Old 02-08-2002
If the file is ordered by VEL(some number) and then the plots, an even simplier script could be written to read each line. Save the VEL info into a variable
Read the first line - if it has a VEL in it
compare it to the VEL variable.
If it is different , write it to the new file and
save it into the VEL variable
if it is the same read the next line.
if it has no VEL in it, write it to the new file

Unless there is something else in the file that would mess with this, it should work.
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with filtering duplicate records using gawk script

Hi All, I have huge trade file with milions of trades.I need to remove duplicate records (e.g I have following records) 30/10/2009,trdeId1,..,.. 26/10/2009.tradeId1,..,..,, 30/10/2009,tradeId2,.. In the above case i need to filter duplicate recods and I should get following output.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmumbarkar
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering similar lines in a big list

I received this question for homework: We have to write our program into a .sh file, with "#!/bin/bash" as the first line. And we have the list of access logs in a file, looking like this (it's nearly 10,000 lines long): 65.214.44.112 - - "GET /~user0/cgg/msg08400.html HTTP/1.0" 304 -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Andrew9191
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

filtering out duplicate substrings, regex string from a string

My input contains a single word lines. From each line data.txt prjtestBlaBlatestBlaBla prjthisBlaBlathisBlaBla prjthatBlaBladpthatBlaBla prjgoodBlaBladpgoodBlaBla prjgood1BlaBla123dpgood1BlaBla123 Desired output --> data_out.txt prjtestBlaBla prjthisBlaBla... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
8 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Filtering Unique Lines

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The uniq command excludes consecutive duplicate lines. It has a -c option to display a count of the number... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: billydeanmak
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

In a huge file, Delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines

Hi All, I have a very huge file (4GB) which has duplicate lines. I want to delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines. Sort, uniq, awk '!x++' are not working as its running out of buffer space. I dont know if this works : I want to read each line of the File in a For Loop, and want to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnix
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: filtering lines based on duplicate values in a column

Hi I have a file like this. I need to eliminate lines with first column having the same value 10 times. 13 18 1 + chromosome 1, 122638287 AGAGTATGGTCGCGGTTG 13 18 1 + chromosome 1, 128904080 AGAGTATGGTCGCGGTTG 13 18 1 - chromosome 14, 13627938 CAACCGCGACCATACTCT 13 18 1 + chromosome 1,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: polsum
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering data -extracting specific lines

I have a table to data which one of the columns include string of text from within that, I am searching to include few lines but not others for example I want to to include some combination of word address such as (address.| address? |the address | your address) but not (ip address | email... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filtering out lines in a .csv file

Hi Guys, Would need your expert help with the following situation.. I have a comma seperated .csv file, with a header row and data as follows H1,H2,H3,H4,H5..... (header row) 0,0,0,0,0,1,2.... (data rows follow) 0,0,0,0,0,0,1 ......... ......... i need a code... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk/sed : help on:Filtering multiple lines to one:

Experts Good day, I want to filter multiple lines of same error of same day , to only 1 error of each day, the first line from the log. Here is the file: May 26 11:29:19 cmihpx02 vmunix: NFS write failed for server cmiauxe1: error 5 (RPC: Timed out) May 26 11:29:19 cmihpx02 vmunix: NFS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filtering log file with lines older than 10 days.

Hi, I am trying to compare epoch time in a huge log file (2 million lines) with todays date. I have to create two files one which has lines older than 10 days and another file with less than 10 days. I am using while do but it takes forever to complete the script. It would be helpful if you can... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunya
12 Replies
set(n)							       Tcl Built-In Commands							    set(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
set - Read and write variables SYNOPSIS
set varName ?value? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns the value of variable varName. If value is specified, then set the value of varName to value, creating a new variable if one doesn't already exist, and return its value. If varName contains an open parenthesis and ends with a close parenthesis, then it refers to an array element: the characters before the first open parenthesis are the name of the array, and the characters between the parentheses are the index within the array. Otherwise varName refers to a scalar variable. Normally, varName is unqualified (does not include the names of any containing namespaces), and the variable of that name in the current namespace is read or written. If varName includes names- pace qualifiers (in the array name if it refers to an array element), the variable in the specified namespace is read or written. If no procedure is active, then varName refers to a namespace variable (global variable if the current namespace is the global namespace). If a procedure is active, then varName refers to a parameter or local variable of the procedure unless the global command was invoked to declare varName to be global, or unless a variable command was invoked to declare varName to be a namespace variable. SEE ALSO
expr(n), proc(n), trace(n), unset(n) KEYWORDS
read, write, variable Tcl set(n)