Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Getting set up with Linux.
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Getting set up with Linux. Post 14926 by Jaco on Friday 8th of February 2002 02:14:44 AM
Old 02-08-2002
Bug Getting set up with Linux.

I want to install a Linux build on a partition of my Win2k machine, but I have a few questions first.

1) Which build should I choose? I was told that some Linux builds don't support some hardware. I am using an AMD Duron CPU, an NVidia Geforce2 MX video card, and a soundMAX (very cheap) audio card, I can get more details if someone wants to know.

2) The partition I have right now on my HD is smaller than I want it to be. Can anybody recommend any partition resizing software that has worked for them and NOT messed things up?

3) Any tips to help me out?

Big thanks in advance to all those that reply.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I set up DHCP on Linux

I have linux box setup and connected to a cable modem via a hub which is shared with other win98 pcs. I need to set up the linux box with dhcp. I have two issues: First: For some reason, every time I activate the eth0 interface, it seems to deactivate itself after some time all by itself.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alam
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need help to set up internet sharing in linux.

Ok, I'm kind of in between newbie and experienced somewhere. I'm an advanced computer user but only have a little experience with linux and a lot of problems with it. Currently I'm using Linux-Mandrake 8.0 (I know, I know, but let's not go into the many reasons why it's not even close to the best... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nazo
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to set up linux environment variables?

Hi I'm using Linux, in the directory /root/my there is a.out. but when I try to run it , the shell indicate "bash:a.out: command not found" but I AM working in this directory. if I use "./a.out" , it works perfectly. can any body tell me how to do a permanent set up so that I can use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dell9
5 Replies

4. Linux

How Do I Set Internet With Linux

I am a new learner of linux, my friend told me that it is very good to learn linux, so I dropped the idea of deleting it but now I faced a problem again , how am I going to set my computer to connect to my ISP and other computers?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terrychen0804
1 Replies

5. SuSE

PhPMyAdmin basic set up on SUSE linux 9.1

Hey, I was wondering if anybody could help me setup my PhpMyAdmin on my SUSE linux 9.1 machine. I want to use it to access MySQL server instead of the defualt MySQLCC-Console Manager. I have not tried yet but i have done a such and it's installed in one of the folders. I would like to point... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: sybella1
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

set UID on linux

Hi, I just want to know if it's possible to set the UID bit for a script, so that it executes not as a owner of process, but owner of the script. i.e script tesh.sh owned by 'user1', 'file1' owned by user1 has 700 permisssions `who am i` rm -v /tmp/file1 user 2 need to execute test.sh, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: braindrain
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Where is TERM variable set on linux machines ?

We have two machines, prod and uat. The TERM variable in both machines are different prod echo $TERM vt100 UAT echo $TERM xterm I have checked the .profile file and could not find any entry ? There are some scripts on the box which are run by Autosys scheduler they seem to run in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amit1_x
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

SEt two hostname in a linux server

Friends , Can I set two hostname in a Linux server at a time ? I want to give two hostname of my Linux server , is it possible to do ? Plz inform .. .. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX and Linux difference (character set)

I'm having a problem regarding the encoding of my files in Linux and AIX. I have a file which can be viewed both in Linux and AIX (via NetApp mount). When I checked the encoding, they have difference. In Linux, the file is encoded as ISO-8859 text. (checked by using "file" command).... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jin_
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LINUX - How to add a prefix to a set of files

Hi All, I have a file (lets say filenames.txt) which contains a list of file names. Is there a way I can append a prefix to the filenames as below, Thanks much for your help Freddie (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
3 Replies
FINDFS(8)						       System Administration							 FINDFS(8)

NAME
findfs - find a filesystem by label or UUID SYNOPSIS
findfs NAME=value DESCRIPTION
findfs will search the block devices in the system looking for a filesystem or partition with specified tag. The currently supported tags are: LABEL=<label> Specifies filesystem label. UUID=<uuid> Specifies filesystem UUID. PARTUUID=<uuid> Specifies partition UUID. This partition identifier is supported for example for GUID Partition Table (GPT) partition tables. PARTLABEL=<label> Specifies partition label (name). The partition labels are supported for example for GUID Partition Table (GPT) or MAC partition tables. If the filesystem or partition is found, the device name will be printed on stdout. The complete overview about filesystems and partitions you can get for example by lsblk --fs partx --show <disk> blkid EXIT STATUS
0 success 1 label or uuid cannot be found 2 usage error, wrong number of arguments or unknown option AUTHOR
findfs was originally written by Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> and re-written for the util-linux package by Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>. ENVIRONMENT
LIBBLKID_DEBUG=all enables libblkid debug output. SEE ALSO
blkid(8), lsblk(8), partx(8) AVAILABILITY
The findfs command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux March 2014 FINDFS(8)