Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Delete Mailbox
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Delete Mailbox Post 14770 by thehoghunter on Wednesday 6th of February 2002 09:30:01 AM
Old 02-06-2002
Did you mean mbox or .mbox?

Following from mailx man page:
Incoming mail is stored in a standard file for each user,
called the mailbox for that user. When the mail utilities
are called to read messages, the mailbox is the default
place to find them. As messages are read, they are marked
to be moved to a secondary file for storage, unless specific
action is taken, so that the messages need not be seen
again. This secondary file is called the mbox and is nor-
mally located in the user's HOME directory (see MBOX in
ENVIRONMENT for a description of this file). Messages can
be saved in other secondary files named by the user. Mes-
sages remain in a secondary file until forcibly removed.

( or did you mean mail.rc ?)
After executing the system startup file, the mail utilities
execute the optional personal startup file $HOME/.mailrc,
wherein the user can override the values of the internal
variables as set by the system startup file.

thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mailbox file format

Does anyone know where can I find information about UNIX mailbox files' organization? I am willing to develop a file-mailbox-compliant mail agent, but for doing so I need that information. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: exile
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mailbox Nightmares!

I would like to migrate my current system's mailboxes to mail folders and i'm currently running exim! Anyone help with a new mail server and the migration to the one? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: enzophite
1 Replies

3. Linux

root mailbox problem

Hi, I have a linux box which works as an smtp server. Past few months I am facing a problem, all the mails which my local lan users send to the outside world, all such mail gets bounced to root's mailbox. Also I have found that the mails which get bounced to the root's mailbox are mostly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RajaRC
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tell UW-Imap to read /var/mail/mailbox ??

Hi, I've got UW-IMAP installed on Gentoo. I'm using EXIM as the transfer agent. EXIM is working fine (I think)... all incoming mail - external and internal goes to /var/mail/username file. I can verifiy this by reading this file directly with nano. Also, IMAPd is running. It lets me login... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d11wtq
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract all attachments from unix mailbox file

Hi guys, I wondering if someone already wrote a script for this, it looks easy for the first shot but I would say it's a bit advanced. I want to extract all my email attachments from /var/mail/username (Unix mail format) + from my local mails (Maildir format) to a directory with the original... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raynor
4 Replies

6. Solaris

How can I edit the mailbox manually

I use gmail to POP my account because of the spamfilter. From time to time I receive an error message "Connection timed out: There may be a problem with the settings you added. Ple..." after this I am no longer able to retrieve my mails because of the blocked session: "... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rolandk
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need delete old mailbox

HI guys, I used my server linux how server to send and receive mails, but my mailbox now are so big and I need delete old mails, I found a program in the web called "expired_mail", but i found some problem with this porgram because delete some files mailbox "big problem" Somebody know... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcordova
5 Replies

8. HP-UX

email mailbox output -

this was handy for me. stout goes to mail here. #mailbox pgm=mailbox USER1=`eval whoami` ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bill L.
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mailbox server performance issue

Hi. my company's mailbox server has severe performance issue on the days while full backup is running. There is huge I/O in another "mail replication process" for standby servers ( which runs all the time, every 15 mins. ). specs of servers :- RHEL5.5 , kernel -2.6.18-53.1.6.el5 , 8 core... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravsharma29
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't POP the mails off the server, the mailbox is corrupt!

First, please forgive me for my 2nd attempt to post in a Forum! And btw, the Code Tags tutorial has the fonts and the sizes, but when I am editing my post none of those fonts and sizes are not there! SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 5 (worf.xxx.com) Worf is our proxy & POP Server, and it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nancy L
7 Replies
PACKF(1)							     [nmh-1.5]								  PACKF(1)

NAME
packf - pack messages in nmh folder into a single file SYNOPSIS
packf [+folder] [msgs] [-file name] [-mbox] [-mmdf] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Packf will pack copies of messages from a folder, into a single file. If the -mbox switch is given (the default), then the messages are separated using mbox (uucp) style delimiters. This is the format used by most mail clients (elm, mailx, etc.). If the -mmdf switch is given, then the messages are separated by mmdf style delimiters. Each message in the file is separated by four CTRL-A's and a newline. You may specify the name of the file in which to use with the -file name switch. If you do not specify the name of the file, it will default to "msgbox". If the given file name points to an existing file, then the specified messages will be appended to the end of the file, otherwise the file will be created and the messages appended. packf makes an mbox-style delimiter by examining the first line of the message. If the first line is a "Return-Path" field, its address and the current date and time are used. Otherwise, if the first line has an "X-Envelope-From" field, its contents (which should already be in the correct format) are used. Otherwise, a dummy address and the current date and time are used. Messages that are packed by packf can be unpacked using inc. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile .msgbox.map A binary index of the file PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Msg-Protect: To set mode when creating a new `file' SEE ALSO
inc(1), msh(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msgs' defaults to all `-mbox' `-file ./msgbox' CONTEXT
If a folder is given, it will become the current folder. The first message packed will become the current message. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 PACKF(1)