Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Preserving Ownership w/tar
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Preserving Ownership w/tar Post 14750 by Neo on Tuesday 5th of February 2002 10:53:26 PM
Old 02-05-2002
You cannot take preserve certain permissions (such as root) as a non root user. There are numerous security reasons for this limitation for non-privileged users in a multi-user enviroment such as UNIX.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Add HDs while preserving the data

I am a 10 years windows person with basic unix training (very basic). I have a sco server where it originally had 3 physical drives. Drive 0 had to be replaced so I did that but because I am really new to Unix I was afraid to detroy the data on DRIVE 1 and 2, so I took them out when I loaded the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhenry
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create tar archive without preserving directory structure?

I am adding some individual files to a tar archive and would like them to be added to the archive without any directory hierarchy, even though the files themselves exist in levels of hierarchy. Unfortunately, tar seems to always preserve the directory hierarchy when it adds the files. Here is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Special_K
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserving whitespace in a for loop

I obviously haven't learned my lesson with shell and whitespace. find /path/to/some/where/ -name "*.pdf" | awk '{print $5}'| uniq -d results: some Corporation other Corporate junk firmx Works fine from cmdline but the whitespace turns into another FS in a for loop. for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_becker
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

5. Debian

scp not preserving properties and links

I'm trying to get a number of old disks on HP-UX 10.2 copied over to a new Debian machine which has a NAS on it. The HP does not have rsync, but does have scp. Scp unfortunately does not always preserve permissions, and does not save links which were on the disk. Apparently rsync has a flag... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PasadenaDave
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

SCP not preserving properties, no rsync ?

I'm trying to get a number of old disks on HP-UX 10.2 copied over to a new Debian machine which has a NAS on it. The HP does not have rsync, but does have scp. Scp unfortunately does not always preserve permissions, and does not save links which were on the disk. Apparently rsync has a flag... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PasadenaDave
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating tar file for subdirs, excluding one and preserving user info

Hi All, I am not one of the super users / root for AIX 5.3 system. There is a filesystem Say /DIR1 and its has several subdirs in it say SUBDIR1, SUBDIR2, SUBDIR3. Can I create a tar file for all files under DIR1 and SUBDIR1, SUBDIR3. Excluding SIBDIR2? Also how can I preserve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserving values with for loop for later use

Below is the issue I am having. I have a few variables which have certain values in them like var1=23 var2=46 var3=78 etc... I want to save these values with the help of a for loop in a single variable so that I can use it later,beacuse a few lines down the script, some of these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elizabeth H
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not preserving value

Hi I am running this shell script .But some how the flag value is getting reset to 0 .could you please help .I'm pasting the output of the script also for your reference. #!/usr/bin/sh # Shell script to monitor or watch the disk space # It will send an email to $ADMIN, if the (free... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ptappeta
5 Replies
ELVPRSV(8)						      System Manager's Manual							ELVPRSV(8)

NAME
elvprsv - Preserve the the modified version of a file after a crash. SYNOPSIS
elvprsv ["-why elvis died"] /tmp/filename... elvprsv -R /tmp/filename... DESCRIPTION
elvprsv preserves your edited text after elvis dies. The text can be recovered later, via the elvprsv program. For UNIX-like systems, you should never need to run this program from the command line. It is run automatically when elvis is about to die, and it should be run (via /etc/rc) when the computer is booted. THAT'S ALL! For non-UNIX systems such as MS-DOS, you can either use elvprsv the same way as under UNIX systems (by running it from your AUTOEXEC.BAT file), or you can run it separately with the "-R" flag to recover the files in one step. If you're editing a file when elvis dies (due to a bug, system crash, power failure, etc.) then elvprsv will preserve the most recent ver- sion of your text. The preserved text is stored in a special directory; it does NOT overwrite your text file automatically. elvprsv will send mail to any user whose work it preserves, if your operating system normally supports mail. FILES
/tmp/elv* The temporary file that elvis was using when it died. /usr/preserve/p* The text that is preserved by elvprsv. /usr/preserve/Index A text file which lists the names of all preserved files, and the names of the /usr/preserve/p* files which contain their preserved text. BUGS
Due to the permissions on the /usr/preserve directory, on UNIX systems elvprsv must be run as superuser. This is accomplished by making the elvprsv executable be owned by "root" and turning on its "set user id" bit. If you're editing a nameless buffer when elvis dies, then elvprsv will pretend that the file was named "foo". AUTHOR
Steve Kirkendall kirkenda@cs.pdx.edu ELVPRSV(8)