Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX, LINUX, RED HAT What it all about Post 14678 by seanstog on Tuesday 5th of February 2002 02:59:04 AM
Old 02-05-2002
Question UNIX, LINUX, RED HAT What it all about

Im new the the whole Unix OS. I would like a breif description of the whole concept. I have heard it is open source so anyone can get the source code? Is this correct. Also is linux, Unix, Redhat all the same program just different versions.

Also I have a 486 200 MHZ computer I was considering installing Unix On Anything I should know before I venture off into this adverture.

Im excited about the concept just need a little claification.

Thanks

Sean

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Red Hat Linux 6.0

Ok here is my problem i do not know the command to load a driver for my network card in Ted hat linux 6.0 could sombody give me a hand. and if there is anyone that has a list of commands for red hat that would be great also (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbutler3295
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix commands in linux-red hat

hi, can i have a unix like environment where i can do things like chmod, shell scripts and etc.. in redhat instead of the GUI that redhat ofters? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How do I connect windows xp to Linux Red hat unix

I just bought a new pc and my unix software is installed on my old computer. I want to take the hard disk outta my old pc and then install it on my new pc so my new pc has 2 hard drives. now, after my pc new has 2 hard drives, one being unix the other being windows xp, i want to be able to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XP to Linux (Red Hat)

I have a PC running XP, and I have a PC that dual boots W2K and Red Hat Linux 7.3. I have the two connected via crossover cable, and the two can access each other when both are running windows. If I were to boot up Linux, can my XP PC telnet to the Linux PC? Any pointers or websites to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawadm1
3 Replies

5. Linux

Red Hat Linux 9

Hello there! Will anybody please tell me some good links to online eBooks on Red Hat Linux 9 user experiences and the like. If the books are in PDF Format, it will be nice to read. Thanks for cooperation in advance. Enjoy using open source and breathe freely! JAM (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jawwad
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

tool for migration from HP Tru64 UNIX to Linux Red Hat 5

Hi, We are going to migrate our Dataware House system from HP Tru64 UNIX to Red Hat Linux 5. There are more than 500 shell scripts which are written in ksh. The schedule is very tight. So, I want to learn whether there is a tool that can help us find the incompatible shell scripts in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: franksubramania
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripts migration from HP-Unix 11 to Red Hat Linux

We are changing our OS from HP-Unix 11 to Linux Red Hat. We have few k- shell, c - shell and sql scripts which are currently running under HP-Unix 11. Will these scripts work on LINUX as it is? or we need to do any code changes?IS there anyone who have done this kind of migration before?Thanks for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phoenix2
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to know if i use "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" or "Red Hat Desktop" ?

how to know if i use "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" or "Red Hat Desktop" ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Unix services for windows & Linux\Red Hat

I am not too familiar with linux, so please keep that in mind while reading this post. We have a few linux servers joined to the domain, and linux services for windows running. I have a user that can connect to one linux server, but not another. I ran the cat /etc/passwrd and noticed the user... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcatcha
0 Replies

10. Fedora

Which is the better platform to learn UNIX/Linux (Kali Linux Vs. Red Hat or other)?

I just started a new semester and I started my UNIX class yesterday. I've already decided to use python along with my learning process but what I really want to use with it is Kali as my UNIX/Linux platform to learn off of since I already wanted to learn Cyber Sec. anyways. I just wanted to know if... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ApacheOmega
12 Replies
File::Spec::Unix(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     File::Spec::Unix(3pm)

NAME
File::Spec::Unix - File::Spec for Unix, base for other File::Spec modules SYNOPSIS
require File::Spec::Unix; # Done automatically by File::Spec DESCRIPTION
Methods for manipulating file specifications. Other File::Spec modules, such as File::Spec::Mac, inherit from File::Spec::Unix and override specific methods. METHODS
canonpath() No physical check on the filesystem, but a logical cleanup of a path. On UNIX eliminates successive slashes and successive "/.". $cpath = File::Spec->canonpath( $path ) ; Note that this does *not* collapse x/../y sections into y. This is by design. If /foo on your system is a symlink to /bar/baz, then /foo/../quux is actually /bar/quux, not /quux as a naive ../-removal would give you. If you want to do this kind of processing, you probably want "Cwd"'s "realpath()" function to actually traverse the filesystem cleaning up paths like this. catdir() Concatenate two or more directory names to form a complete path ending with a directory. But remove the trailing slash from the resulting string, because it doesn't look good, isn't necessary and confuses OS2. Of course, if this is the root directory, don't cut off the trailing slash :-) catfile Concatenate one or more directory names and a filename to form a complete path ending with a filename curdir Returns a string representation of the current directory. "." on UNIX. devnull Returns a string representation of the null device. "/dev/null" on UNIX. rootdir Returns a string representation of the root directory. "/" on UNIX. tmpdir Returns a string representation of the first writable directory from the following list or the current directory if none from the list are writable: $ENV{TMPDIR} /tmp Since perl 5.8.0, if running under taint mode, and if $ENV{TMPDIR} is tainted, it is not used. updir Returns a string representation of the parent directory. ".." on UNIX. no_upwards Given a list of file names, strip out those that refer to a parent directory. (Does not strip symlinks, only '.', '..', and equivalents.) case_tolerant Returns a true or false value indicating, respectively, that alphabetic is not or is significant when comparing file specifications. file_name_is_absolute Takes as argument a path and returns true if it is an absolute path. This does not consult the local filesystem on Unix, Win32, OS/2 or Mac OS (Classic). It does consult the working environment for VMS (see "file_name_is_absolute" in File::Spec::VMS). path Takes no argument, returns the environment variable PATH as an array. join join is the same as catfile. splitpath ($volume,$directories,$file) = File::Spec->splitpath( $path ); ($volume,$directories,$file) = File::Spec->splitpath( $path, $no_file ); Splits a path into volume, directory, and filename portions. On systems with no concept of volume, returns '' for volume. For systems with no syntax differentiating filenames from directories, assumes that the last file is a path unless $no_file is true or a trailing separator or /. or /.. is present. On Unix this means that $no_file true makes this return ( '', $path, '' ). The directory portion may or may not be returned with a trailing '/'. The results can be passed to "catpath()" to get back a path equivalent to (usually identical to) the original path. splitdir The opposite of "catdir()". @dirs = File::Spec->splitdir( $directories ); $directories must be only the directory portion of the path on systems that have the concept of a volume or that have path syntax that differentiates files from directories. Unlike just splitting the directories on the separator, empty directory names ('') can be returned, because these are significant on some OSs. On Unix, File::Spec->splitdir( "/a/b//c/" ); Yields: ( '', 'a', 'b', '', 'c', '' ) catpath() Takes volume, directory and file portions and returns an entire path. Under Unix, $volume is ignored, and directory and file are concatenated. A '/' is inserted if needed (though if the directory portion doesn't start with '/' it is not added). On other OSs, $volume is significant. abs2rel Takes a destination path and an optional base path returns a relative path from the base path to the destination path: $rel_path = File::Spec->abs2rel( $path ) ; $rel_path = File::Spec->abs2rel( $path, $base ) ; If $base is not present or '', then cwd() is used. If $base is relative, then it is converted to absolute form using "rel2abs()". This means that it is taken to be relative to cwd(). On systems that have a grammar that indicates filenames, this ignores the $base filename. Otherwise all path components are assumed to be directories. If $path is relative, it is converted to absolute form using "rel2abs()". This means that it is taken to be relative to cwd(). No checks against the filesystem are made. On VMS, there is interaction with the working environment, as logicals and macros are expanded. Based on code written by Shigio Yamaguchi. rel2abs() Converts a relative path to an absolute path. $abs_path = File::Spec->rel2abs( $path ) ; $abs_path = File::Spec->rel2abs( $path, $base ) ; If $base is not present or '', then cwd() is used. If $base is relative, then it is converted to absolute form using "rel2abs()". This means that it is taken to be relative to cwd(). On systems that have a grammar that indicates filenames, this ignores the $base filename. Otherwise all path components are assumed to be directories. If $path is absolute, it is cleaned up and returned using "canonpath()". No checks against the filesystem are made. On VMS, there is interaction with the working environment, as logicals and macros are expanded. Based on code written by Shigio Yamaguchi. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2004 by the Perl 5 Porters. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::Spec perl v5.14.2 2010-09-20 File::Spec::Unix(3pm)